location/name of Volumetric fog textures

exploiteddna

Question

ive found some of the game's fog textures in textures\effects\ but ive only found two, neither of which are used (i dont think) by the fog that is targeted by Boris' volumetric fog code. If anyone knows the name and/or location of the textures i am referring to, please let me know, thanks

edit:

just to clarify, ive found:

- dimfog.dds

- fxfogheavy.dds

both in textures\effects

but neither seem to affect the volumetric fog appearance

7 answers to this question

Not sure if the following is useful information, but I'm using CoT + CoT Fog Rain Overcast prod80 + Supreme and Volumetric Fog. None carry fog textures with them, all changes are done through the .esp. There are 6 fog weather records (and six sub-fog records) in skyrim.esm as far as I remember, perhaps you can check there in tes5edit to see if they point to a certain texture file.

Check out the Real clouds mod, since it adds vol fog as clouds... then you would most likely find what you are looking for.

Edit: Also altered the thread name since it was way too long! :)

lol @ too long name - thanks for the moderation :thumbsup:

Good ideas from both replies. I know if I put enough time into it i will be able to locate the texture(s) im looking for. If I trace all of the fog objects in CK or tes5edit (object record -> model file -> nifskope -> texture file) I will eventually find what I'm looking for. I was hoping someone already had the information, which would save me a lot of time.

With respect to ENB, their are two types of fog -- the fog you can adjust under the [sky] settings and the fog under the [volumetric fog] settings. The former tends to be more general/ubiquitous/pervasive type of fog. The volumetric fog tends to be concentrated into cloud-like formations. This is what I'm looking for.

I will dig into some of these fog mods to see if they include any vanilla asset replacements, and if they do i will attempt to identify which asset is responsible for each type/instance/iteration of fog.

Boris Volumetric Fog relates to the Sky Statics which can be found here: ..\data\meshes\sky (packed in Meshes BSA) and the texture in use is ..\data\textures\sky\SkyrimCloudSheet01.dds

It's not Volumetric Fog, the naming in ENB is simply wrong. Should be named "Sky Statics" which would of been clearer.

Volumetric Fog implementations (like my mod) and Real Clouds react to the Particle settings in ENB, Sky Statics react to Volumetric Fog settings, Fog (game engine generated Near & Far fog) react to the Fog settings under Sky. Take care in editing the dds above, more than just the Sky Statics use it (eg. Real Clouds uses it as well).

@Nearox; my mod most certainly has meshes/textures and custom effects with it, unless you don't use the Fog edition ... but anyway, you use Supreme and Volumetric Fog with it, so that would overwrite my fog weathers anyway ;)

im familiar with the sky statics because they always get in my way while im trying to make worldspace edits in the render window of CK :)

Had no idea these are what is being targeted by the [Volumetric Fog] parameters, so thank you for that info :thumbsup:

I don't use CoT so your mod won't be of use to me, though I could check it out to see how you implemented your volumetric fog. Which meshes are responsible for the "true" volumetric fog that reacts to [Particle] settings?