Audio Overhaul for Skyrim (by David Jegutidse)

Neovalen

Haha! Sounds great. I've designed the upcoming STEP installer the same way and will be redesigning The Ruffled Feather installer as well.

Unfortunately for STEP users, they won't get to experience the "smartness" of my new installer.  ::P:

It should go without saying, but just in case - for STEP and SR:LE users, because compatibility patching is handled elsewhere, the new AOS "smart" installer should NOT be used. Please use the Manual Installation option, choose AOS for DG + DB, and click through the other compatibility patch menus. Same recommendation for people using STEP / SR:LE with added mods, except you need to select any compatibility patches that correspond to mods you've added beyond STEP / SR:LE.

Curious, I might have to take a peak at the FOMOD to see what you've done that it couldn't be used for all users regardless of the the Guide installing it. Of course, I can understand if you're checking for mods which aren't installed yet due to how the Guide is set up. The STEP installer is designed to install last so if AOS is as well, I can understand where the issue would be with STEP because we have some mods overwriting it...which really needs to be reviewed again.

Curious, I might have to take a peak at the FOMOD to see what you've done that it couldn't be used for all users regardless of the the Guide installing it. Of course, I can understand if you're checking for mods which aren't installed yet due to how the Guide is set up. The STEP installer is designed to install last so if AOS is as well, I can understand where the issue would be with STEP because we have some mods overwriting it...which really needs to be reviewed again.

The thing I ran into was that it would select options I could not then unselect. Manual installation worked just fine for my purposes though.

Thanks for the tip @keithinhanoi, I figured the manual install would just dump all the plugins into the folder for a standard "manual" install but apparently its just the same without autodetection/etc.

Yes, the STEP installer will do the same. If it detects a specific plugin, then it will select a specific option for that plugin...be it a patch or whatever...and you will not be able to change the selection. We get so many questions of which patch users can use so this was the easiest, dummy-proof way to have the installer install the correct options based off of the plugins present in the current profile. This way, there is no more uncertainty for the users. The installer "knows" what to install.

Yes, the STEP installer will do the same. If it detects a specific plugin, then it will select a specific option for that plugin...be it a patch or whatever...and you will not be able to change the selection. We get so many questions of which patch users can use so this was the easiest, dummy-proof way to have the installer install the correct options based off of the plugins present in the current profile. This way, there is no more uncertainty for the users. The installer "knows" what to install.

and in another thread you guys were discussing the finer points of users must not be hand held / learn how to mod... no? :) I don't care either way, but I do find it interesting is all.

This solves a long time confusion though with users, particularity with the STEP Patches. It's not the same thing that was being discussed over there but I can see where one could assume that. :)

I doubt it will affect any of the other guides like SR, but I'll be sure to keep a manual option just in case you guys use the STEP Patches as a base to add on to when creating custom patches.

The thing I ran into was that it would select options I could not then unselect. Manual installation worked just fine for my purposes though.

Thanks for the tip @keithinhanoi, I figured the manual install would just dump all the plugins into the folder for a standard "manual" install but apparently its just the same without autodetection/etc.

That problem with options that can't be changed is due to the way Mod Organizer's internal FOMOD installer works, which is quite different from the behavior with a FOMOD in NMM. When the AOS installer sees that a particular option is not correct (in most cases because the plugin isn't detected), then I've set the selection type to "NotUsable". In NMM, if change your selection to one that has been marked as "NotUsable", you'll get a somewhat scary warning message, but it will still let you do it. In MO's internal FOMOD installer, the options marked as "NotUsable" are just greyed out completely and can be selected. I couldn't just change the selection type of the preferred option to "Recommended" and the others to "Optional", because with the logic of the selections, in many cases it would default the selection to the wrong option. By marking all the other options as "NotUsable", it forces the correct option to be selected.

However, because of STEP and SR:LE and people in the middle of installing their own mods, and people merging mods before installing AOS, I really had to include the old manual installer as well. When you choose the "Manual Installation", you are basically getting the same menus that were in the AOS 2.5 installer, which means the user manually selects all their choices. But of course for STEP / SR:LE users who probably don't need any of those patches, then the manual installer requires 4 more clicks than it would need to if I were to put a third option in that initial menu of "Install for STEP / SR:LE Users" that just installs the AOS.esp for Skyrim+DG+DB and the sounds without any patches.

Somebody discovered an issue with the selection logic in the smart installers SoS / SoS + weather mod patch selection menu, so I have to fix the installer anyhow, so...

Do you guys want me to add a STEP / SR:LE menu choice which reduces the install to just the one menu????   :;):

Edited by keithinhanoi
  • +1 1

That's entirely up to you! It would be great, but we can work around whatever you do. So basically do what is best for you since you're maintaining it.

Well, I'm all in favor of avoiding confusion and making things more convenient / easier to follow for people.

So - just to be absolutely sure, with STEP Core / Extended, the user would only need to install the main AOS.esp for Skyrim+DG+DB with the sounds, and none of the included patches, is that correct?

If yes, then I can add that option when I upload a hotfix (same version number) with the fixed installer sometime tomorrow.

Well, I'm all in favor of avoiding confusion and making things more convenient / easier to follow for people.

So - just to be absolutely sure, with STEP Core / Extended, the user would only need to install the main AOS.esp for Skyrim+DG+DB with the sounds, and none of the included patches, is that correct?

If yes, then I can add that option when I upload a hotfix (same version number) with the fixed installer sometime tomorrow.

Same for SR:LE, just the main file no patches.

That problem with options that can't be changed is due to the way Mod Organizer's internal FOMOD installer works, which is quite different from the behavior with a FOMOD in NMM. When the AOS installer sees that a particular option is not correct (in most cases because the plugin isn't detected), then I've set the selection type to "NotUsable". In NMM, if change your selection to one that has been marked as "NotUsable", you'll get a somewhat scary warning message, but it will still let you do it. In MO's internal FOMOD installer, the options marked as "NotUsable" are just greyed out completely and can be selected. I couldn't just change the selection type of the preferred option to "Recommended" and the others to "Optional", because with the logic of the selections, in many cases it would default the selection to the wrong option. By marking all the other options as "NotUsable", it forces the correct option to be selected...

Is this true even with the advances made to it by @thosrtanner in the latest builds? He is taking a great deal of care to work through all these peculiarities and fix them. I bet he'd like to get some input on any further changes that need to be made.