Audio Overhaul for Skyrim (by David Jegutidse)

Neovalen

The new installer is pretty damn good.

Btw, how similar are the interior rain effects from AoS and Wonders of Weather?

Last time I checked they're not compatible. I got a very odd/echo sounding rain.

@keith

Been having this issue for a while now. The grindstone sound seems to loop and play when not in use, but only have it's been used. I'll use it. Then when I'm doing, the sound will sometimes still play on its own.

The new installer is pretty damn good.

Btw, how similar are the interior rain effects from AoS and Wonders of Weather?

WoW uses the original interior rain sound that was "hidden" in Skyrim (Bethesda never implemented it), and LoRd Korn made an improved interior rain sound. It just sounds different - better or worse, depends on each person.

However, when putting together the interior rain feature, I looked at how it was set up in WoW, and then expanded on the number of places where you would logically be able to hear rain in an interior space. So with AOS, you'll hear it in more places, not to mention hearing muffled thunder sounds when exterior weather is storm rain, which is really freaking cool.

The AOS installer will not handle WoW automatically for you. There's a "Disable AOS interior rain sound" patch, but my personal recommendation is not to use that, and instead go into the WoW settings menu and turn the rain effects volume slider to zero. That will actually turn off the script that is used for the rain effects - which reminds me of the last thing about the AOS method, is that it just uses conditions which are built into the game instead of an extra script (AOS is and never will be a scripted mod.) The WoW script is very very "light" though.

Last time I checked they're not compatible. I got a very odd/echo sounding rain.

@keith

Been having this issue for a while now. The grindstone sound seems to loop and play when not in use, but only have it's been used. I'll use it. Then when I'm doing, the sound will sometimes still play on its own.

Tech is correct here - in any places where both WoW and AOS think interior rain should be heard, you are actually hearing two interior rain sounds being played simultaneously. I should double check the AOS compatibility forum sticky to see that this is mentioned.  Come to think of it, it might be a cool feature in the "smart" installer to add a check for WoW, and give the user a warning message so they can decide what to do - thanks for bringing it up.

As for the grindstone sound, AOS does absolutely nothing other than change its volume / reverb values. Nothing about the mechanics of when it should start or stop playing is affected. So I highly highly doubt it's caused by AOS. Have you tried testing it without AOS installed?

To everyone: I have added a STEP / SR:LE option to the installer code, and am now re-working it so the menus, presentation, and descriptions are clearer, easier to follow and more logical, I think. Somehow all the descriptions for the second page of patch options in the manual installer were still the same as the smart installer, so that is really confusing right there. I feel really bad, not sure what happened, maybe I slipped and used an older revision of the XML code. Either way, it will all be fixed in an updated file soon, with the same version number because everything else remains unchanged.

Same for SR:LE, just the main file no patches.

Yes, This page outlines exactly the mods that are included in the patches and their plugins. https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP_Patches_Requirements

I have released an update to the AOS 2.5.1 Installer, which now features a quick and easy "Install for STEP or SR:LE" option in the first menu:

6aAgP3S.png

That will give you the Skyrim+DG+DB variant of the main AOS.esp, and all the sounds (or just the updated sounds in the "update" installer"), and none of the patches, as previously discussed.

So Neo & Tech, you can update your respective guide instructions for the AOS installation step! ;)

For anyone else who is curious, I have completely revamped the weather mod / Sounds of Skyrim patch section of both the "Smart" Installer and the manual options installer, with more logical option names, better organization, much better descriptions, and a lot more warning and information menus that will be shown in certain situations to make sure the user is aware of potential / definite incompatibilities. Interestingly, it's only about 188,000 characters now!

Friday is my last day of work here in Hanoi, and after that I am going into full on "preparation mode" for my move. I don't think I'll be dropping again by until the middle of next month, so see you all again then!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I've hit a snag while using the STEP Core 2.2.9.1 setup walkthrough. I just recently bought Skyrim Legendary so please cut me some slack as I'm new to not only modding but the game itself.

So, I'm being very intent on following the STEP Core setup to the letter, taking my time to read every little thing as I go through. I'd like to give all of you some serious props for putting this thing together, it's obviously taken a lot of work, so kudos and thank you!

My problem is this.. I've gotten down to the Sound section and I'm installing Audio Overhaul for Skyrim. As I'm installing this mod I'm following the 'detailed instructions available' link. On the resulting page and in the installation flowchart for non-STEP Patch users (https://wiki.step-project.com/Audio_Overhaul_for_Skyrim#Recommendations), when you get to 'Compatability Patches - Part 2' you can see all of the checkboxes there. Well naturally since I am following the guide to the letter I made sure these boxes were checked when I installed. It wasn't until I had installed several other mods after Audio Overhaul for Skyrim as I went down the Sounds list that I noticed the 'exclamation' icon in Mod Organizer was telling me I had a problem. So I look into the problem and it seems I am missing some Master Files from those compatability patches I installed with AOS. I then reviewed the whole STEP Core mod list to see if I had missed something but I've got everything correct thus far.

So my question(s) is/are, what do I do about these missing master files, are the recommendations to check those particular compatability patches within AOS in the STEP guide a mistake? Like, should I have not checked them?

I probably should have seen that I didn't have any of those mods installed before I checked the boxes during install, but like I said, I'm new to this and I'm just trying to follow the Core guide to the letter as my first experience modding Skyrim.

Can anyone give me some help/wise words please? Will these missing master files mess my game up if not addressed? Thanks in advance! :)

Hi TechAngel85 :)

It looks like I need DeadlySpellImpacts.esp, dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp, BlockSparkles.esp, and WetandCold.esp.

Maybe I followed the guide incorrectly, but the non-STEP Patch users installation flowchart in the link I previously provided has me check the boxes for compatability patches for those particular mods when installing AOS. When I discovered I had missing masters it struck me as a bit strange that it asked me to check those boxes considering those mods weren't part of the Core guide up to that point. Maybe that flowchart is just for STEP Extended users? I dunno, I have a feeling I did something wrong there :\

So now my installation progress is all the way down to the 2.N. Patches portion of the Core Guide and I'm hoping all of the work up to this point isn't screwed up by these missing masters. I stopped before installing the Patches section out of fear of messing up my progress. Please tell me there's a way to go forward without having to start over!

Up to this point the STEP Core Guide has been extremely clear and concise, a total breeze to work with and I give you guys tons of credit for putting it together, well done and thanks!

Edited by REZ

Ahhh oookay. Yeah, maybe some additional text for that AOS install flowchart on the recommendation page explaining that Core Guide only users should not check those boxes would help other blockheads like myself :D

Okay, so just uncheck those patch .esp's in the right window in Mod Organizer under the Plugins tab? That's all I have to do and it's fixed?? Should I uninstall them or just leave them there and uncheck them..

Okay, sorry if I'm being a pain in the arse now, but do I just install AOS over the top of what's there or do I uninstall it first? Also, since I've already gotten down to the Patches section on the Core Guide, will installing AOS out of order screw things up?

Maybe I should uninstall AOS and everything beneath it and go from there?