Where in the Install Order do I put the Particle Patch?

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

I've seen a ton of conflicting information. Some sources say to install it at the end, some say to install it first thing. Some say that if you use a water mod, you need to install it after the water mod (apparently W.A.T.E.R. already includes it?). Just wondering exactly where I am supposed to install this. 

15 answers to this question

There is not specific spot. If a mod includes the changes then there is no harm if it is placed after. So if you place it late then you are sure that the proper meshes are being used.

Also moving this to ENB support since the meshes are only relevant for ENB users.

It already includes the meshes. So you can place it after it again.

Taken from https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1499

"NOTE to users of Ultimate HD Fire Effects by BuzzDee84: Install Ultimate HD Fire Effects after my particle patch, overwriting my files when asked."

Was Ultimate HD Fire Effects recently updated with the meshes?

You can place it before or after it does not make any difference, since the meshes are the same.

As long as the textures and meshes are the same then placement does not matter. You have to remember that these guides are made for people using NMM where they do not have the same easy going system to sort out overwrites.

There it makes sense to make people aware of it.

I think I personally just deleted the fire parts from the particle patch as part of my "saving" diskspace and clean up in my overwrites.

In my game, I install it early, and let it be overwritten. I only have a look at it again if I find something looking out of place or strange when using ENB. So far I haven't found anything.

I did found meshes that are bad in the particle patch. I had to remove the Skylight meshes as they cause there to be a black outline around the skylights which makes them look terrible (In my game at least, just test in Bleakfalls burrow). Took me ages to find out it was the particle patch as I was never suspecting it to change the skylights. I changed light mods, weather mods, ENBs you name it to get rid of it. Then I tried the smaller dust particle mod (which was not the cause) However I did notice it to overwrite some of the textures in the particle patch, which made me look at that.

There are essentially none of them that should not be used with a vanilla game (As long as you use ENB)... and other then the water fire exception then most mods use the vanilla meshes. So there is not really any point in adding anything to the guide about it.

I think your confusion about it is a bit odd tbh... I know you are a big fan of concrete "place this here" but the affected mods are already detailed in the description of the particle patch, and there is not much more to it then that. And the only reason it is there is because it has never been removed. Both Water and Fire now use the meshes so there is no point in saying that any should be before or after, since the outcome is the same regardless.

As I recall then the skylight issue was sorted ages ago. At least I have not seen it it in forever.

There are essentially none of them that should not be used with a vanilla game (As long as you use ENB)... and other then the water fire exception then most mods use the vanilla meshes. So there is not really any point in adding anything to the guide about it.

I think your confusion about it is a bit odd tbh... I know you are a big fan of concrete "place this here" but the affected mods are already detailed in the description of the particle patch, and there is not much more to it then that. And the only reason it is there is because it has never been removed. Both Water and Fire now use the meshes so there is no point in saying that any should be before or after, since the outcome is the same regardless.

As I recall then the skylight issue was sorted ages ago. At least I have not seen it it in forever.

Ok sounds good! Thanks. You can mark this as Solved if you'd like. 

Also about the candles... you can ofc. use the vanilla ones, but they are not made to work nicely with the SSS feature.

But tbh I guess it depends on your point of view.. some people think the extra glow through feature is extra nice and very vital.... I personally never stare that often at the candles.