Base Requiem (by Smile44)

@Smile44, thanks for the advice. Have to keep culling.

You mention that I seem to not have added patches. I double checked and was missing requiem-falskaar. Is that what you meant or do you mean my other mods in general ?

I noticed you don't have the CoT weather pack installed. Did you run into issues? ...

Wet and Cold - very brave. I'd love to get that one going but I'm sure it'll give me fits with my non-optimal setup.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these days I'll cull down my load order for a playthrough based on the mods requiem (with hard times), footprints, wetncold, player head tracking, and frostfall. I'm sure those mods together can be fair stable in a small load order. If I ever decide to use a needs type mod though, I'll likely have to be rid of player head tracking at the least.

@Smile44, thanks for the advice. Have to keep culling.

You mention that I seem to not have added patches. I double checked and was missing requiem-falskaar. Is that what you meant or do you mean my other mods in general ?

I noticed you don't have the CoT weather pack installed. Did you run into issues? ...

Wet and Cold - very brave. I'd love to get that one going but I'm sure it'll give me fits with my non-optimal setup.

No I meant the SR patches for getting those mods to work together. Wet and cold is in SR:LE and appears to be stable - but it will be the first to go if it starts giving me any gyp. SR:LE is a stable base as is STEP CORE and there are patches in progress on this site to make CORE even more stable. I am not running my weather pack in my SR + Requiem profile at the moment as it is aimed at STEP rather than SR and I am curious as to what NEO eventually goes for in that department weather wise. RLO has a decent weather mod at present and it should work as standalone, I am generally waiting on RLO to get closer to finishing and the recent release seems to be heading that way even if it is largely one guy working on it now.

I would advise getting yourself a stable base set of mods with no gameplay mods (perhaps those in CORE) then add the Requiem pack and build up from there if you are going your own way i.e. not adhering to the guides from STEP as that is pretty much how most users here do it. I can be quite confident that if you install STEP CORE plus the Requiem pack / Weather Pack and Survival pack as described then you will have a pretty stable and challenging game that looks great. Mods like lanterns also help but I haven't been using that for a while and it was only when I saw it on your list that I realised. I dare say that there are a lot of mods that we feel we can't live without but I would not be surprised to find that they were not all that crucial after all.

Basically mods that are just textures or animations will not generally hurt you game but if you want lots of gameplay then those textures need to be 1k max and half that for the normals (doesn't hurt). That allows the skyrim engine the room it needs to deal with multiple spawns and complex fights.

The mod list in my last post is by no means final I may do without a vampire mod and perhaps just use the skins from the werewolf mods as textures as Requiem does improve vamps and werewolves anyway - of course do I really need to use Ningheim race - I like it and I also like to play as the Lara Croft preset because well who doesn't like Tombraider I have guided the feisty lass through many close scrapes and so why not in skyrim. Still there are some racial conflicts with playing as a vampire with custom races I've started working on a patch but then again loading it differently might help. Who knows? All is a WIP - but progress across the board is being made on this site. I have not put a guide for the rest of Requiem's add ons yet because you can easily run into trouble on any given mod list so my packs are only really made for STEP CORE plus some extras from but by no means all from STEP Extended.

I hope to put together a bigger mod list built around requiem in the style of STEP but would hope to work with other interested parties on that as I am not so confident with patches (still haven't read the guide for that - lazy bugger) but I will, still the more the merrier as they say.

:)

My problem is I'm just not that well versed to fly off on my own. I can follow instructions and troubleshoot somewhat. I can even veer a little. But that's it.

I started with a STEP 2.2.6 build but then came across revisited and thought wow, look at all these mods! and meticulous instructions. If I follow to a t I'll have this great game. I spent weeks and weeks building and optimizing and ENBing and learned alot. I also learned that this dog just won't hunt. What works for NEO just won't work for me. Now that's when I discovered OVERHAUL mods. So I tried to squeeze SU and Skyre into a SR foundation and actually got some play time in before THAT hit a wall. I decided to pull the plug on that before I got too invested.

So now it's on to Requiem with the aid of your packs and the Great Purge of mods. Less is more. Yes I should start up with STEP CORE and build on it but I'm beat and just want to play. I think I'm almost there with Requiem, the weather pack and Frostfall / RND. I'll just have to live with the ILS and or CTD's because I'm sure I'm straining things with too many SR textures. The game looks fantastic. Hopefully it'll hold together because I have limited ability to fix things on my own.

I know how you feel. it took me a while and I still have much to learn - if it helps I have built STEP and SR so many times it doesn't bear thinking about each time though I learn something new. Most people on here probably spend more time modding than playing.

I am hoping to turn that around for myself soon, I am playing but I haver to keep tinkering which is not always a smart thing to do as it can mess your save game up and that usually presents the so called wall that you mentioned. Once you have a stable game it is best to just play that and don't add or take away anything else and you should be fine.

Hopefully it will settle down for you soon.

I actually think Skyrim revisited is more prone to conflicts then baseline step. Aside from the gameplay and sound (just use AOS, imho it sounds better anyway) section, most of those mods shouldn't conflict or those conflicts should be solvable with TESVEdit merging.

The only reason I didn't start doing this is that I don't know enough about what Requiem touches. I'd need a list of baseline step mods who's functionality is already included in Requiem.

AOS is not the incompatible beast some people try to make it. Aside from a very minor conflict with AIMP it's fully compatible with baseline step (if you use Michaelrw's patches). There is also a patch for Requiem.

AOS is incompatible with most other sound mods. It's not incompatible in a sense that it will break your game. Think of AOS as a composition, now if you add different parts from other sound mods that do not have this composition in mind some things will sound off.

It's somewhat similar to adding lighting mods to an ENB that is designed with vanilla lighting in mind. If you add a lighting mod both will shift the lighting producing odd results: One does not fit the composition of the other.

A Requiem AoS Patch, oops forgot about that, I will have to open that and have a looksy. I only have AoS because I am testing how well SR:LE works as a base for Requiem and AoS is included in SR:LE and fully patched. Ultimately I will collate the mods that I think will work well to make a solid Requiem Install, but I hope to get feedback from other Requiem users as to what they feel is important to have and what they can live without. I once tried a suggestion of Starac's (SRO author) about using only SMIM, SRO, SFO, Water and Better Dynamic Snow as the only main texture mods and at that time I thought it worked really well and looked very good in game. Add an ENB to that and some weather / lighting and you have a great looking Skyrim.

It probably would not suit everyone but I enjoy the challenge in a game and rarely notice specific texture details because I'm not looking for them. Even with all my textures reduced as I have described in earlier posts I still stop from time to time to take a screen shot because the damn place or view just looks so amazing. So I am all for reducing the number of mods and it is part of why I like the direction SR is going in. STEP is also moving to a stripped down CORE for 2.3 I believe.

You are correct Mr Spock SR does have more conflicts on account of the type of mods within it and STEP CORE probably has more mods in it than it needs but has less compatibility issues because there are few (if any) script mods and definitely no extra spawn mods or anything that does not fix and or improve Skyrims. This is what makes it such a great base and relatively easy to add packs to.

Well people smarter than me are on board with this. Adding this will let me bail on quite a few sound esp's so AOS it is. Thanks Spock

I personally think AoS is the sound mod to go. But be aware that some sounds might not suit you (horse sounds are controversial) and it does not cover everything yet. Afaik the author is currently working on dungeon sounds and I think I read someone saying combat sounds too. But don't quote me on that one.

Another thing about lighting/weather mods: You should give Opethfeldt ENB a try (with just vanilla Skyrim), then maybe add Relighting Skyrim and Enhanced Lighting for ENB (Spell and Torchlighting first, then FX Effects, then RS then ELE RS colors and FX emittance. Weathers are handled by Opethfeldt, Interior lighting can be an option, changes colors though).

This gets rid of a whole brunch of conflicts while supplying imho the best visuals for weathers and lighting.

Smilie: Since you are so much into Requiem, could you provide me with a list of STEP extended mods who's functionality is already included in Requiem? That would be really great. I could start with a baseline STEP patch for Requiem then.

Requiem touches just about everything in Skyrim it deals with AI for all creatures, fauna and enemies, dragons are much harder and cast an aura of fear that makes all but the bravest soldiers run and hide, horses are covered, trade is covered, Traps are harder to detect and can be lethal, smithing is covered you need to read certain books as well as train to get good at this, there are no difficulty settings some times you have to run or get some tank followers. Diseases are worse, poison is debilitating, but food gives buffs but no penalties RND is compatible. Magic is improved and spells get more powerful as you gain experience and skills, Perks are altered and you start with 3. The basic start of the game gives you slightly better armor and weapons so you have a chance to survive Helgen. It includes armors and weapons from a load of mods including IA. Time frame is set to 10, vampires and werewolves are tougher are tougher and effective at higher levels. There are hand placed items, NPCs and bad guys everywhere, e.g. getting the Dragonstone is a ride. Wearing heavy armor without a perk in that skill drains all your stamina, you move slower and are more easily detected wearing it, but it does give you some protection from arrows which otherwise can kill you with one shot (depending on health) this part is controversial and needs to be improved by differentiating between a head or heart shot and anywhere else which should only be a wound but this is not yet possible with any accuracy. It also has TTYM or a version thereof which works great and its own font. Dawnguard does not start until you are level 30 because well seriously vampires are tough, random vampire raids are disabled so that you don't lose half the town in a vampire attack - why would they destroy their food source?. Dragonborn is not advised until level 40 but can start earlier. If you commit crimes then the gods wont heal you at their shrines. Jumping costs a lot of stamina as does swing weapons you need to rest between swings at first and getting accepted by the companions is tricky, Vilkas will kill you if you don't fight smart. Lockpicking is harder but you can break locks on chests and doors if your health and skill is high enough. Oh and fast travel is disabled, arrows, bolts and gold weigh something. Much of this is adjustable in the MCM. There is also more but I have covered much so I will now take a stab at your list based on the above information.

OBSOLETE

Lockpicking Interface

Main Font Replacement

Ars Metallica

Lock Overhaul

Run For Your Lives

Skyrim Coin Replacer

When Vampires Attack

NOT ADVISED (Can be compatible but put an unnecessary strain on the engine and or too conflicted)

AIMP

101 Bugs

Burn Freeze & Shock Effects

Enhanced Blood

Radiant & Unique Potions & Poisons

Sounds of Skyrim (Use AOS instead with patches)

This is not exhaustive as it is late and though enthused I am tired. There are a number of other popular mods which you don't really need that you can get from the description above.

Compatibility patches exist for Dragonborn, Falskaar, IA & IW, SkyTest, SIC, Wyrmstooth, Immersive Patrols, Book covers, RND, AOS, EBQO, and more. It is compatible with EFF, AFT, Frostfall, CoT etc.. and of course Vilja and other less complex follower mods. More than enough to make any game challenging and to take your mind off wether or not you like the vanilla picture frames or trim around the tankards - :)

Being an old D&D guy myself this is EXACTLY what I've been pining for. A slow meticulous crawl with meaningful effects and counters. Psyched.

@Smile 2 questions.

Are you using the latest v. of Hard Times (1.08). I mentioned before that I can't load Skyrim with the esp activated. The nexus forum showed similar issues but they may/may not be related to mine. Is TES5edit a tool to use to possibly track down what other mod is conflicting with it? I've been slowly removing mods to get my game down but it's a tricky process to troubleshoot because just "unchecking" a mod can in and of itself create its own issue.

Did you created your own patch for DCO and Requiem. I couldn't find a patch anywhere

EDIT: Actually 3 :-) . I thought I could get rid of timing is everything. I had it during my 1st playthru and really didn't touch it since I know very little about quest details or when they normally launch. Does REQ override vanilla as per levels or do quests start as per interaction with a person regardless of level? You mention Dragonborn at L40 and Dawnguard L30 - is that a recommendation or REQ driven ?

thx

Thank you for your list! I'm kind of surprised about Run for your Lives. There definitely is an esp conflict, is it's functionality included?

It's core and not listed in the Wiki guide btw (along with when vampires attack).

I did a little search for myself and started TES5Edit. This is part question to your findings, part memo to myself. Every mod I didn't commend had no esp or file conflicts (I'm a little tired though so please double check before quoting me and there is still a minor chance of script conflicts).

I found two more core mods that Requiem should cover from the feature list (I still can't definitely confirm those):

non essential children

ClamsDropPearls (esp overwrites by Requiem probably not needed)

I did a quick search through the step (extended) list and made a list of mods that might conflict with Requiem (in addition to the the list already included in this pack):

Radiant Potions (esp conflicts, should be patchable)

BLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions (esp overwrite by Requiem)

The Choice is Yours (probably incompatible as Requiem overwrites some files here)

Follower Trap Safety (Requiem doesn't overwrite the scripts+espless plugin -> compatible?)

Traps make Noise (some file overwrites by Requiem, no esp conflict -> not sure)

SM Drop Lit Torches

Diverse Priests (esp conflicts, maybe patchable*)

Consistent Older People (esp conflicts, should be patchable)

The Paarthurnax Dilemma

Gildergreen Regrown

Animated Weapon Enchants (esp conflicts, should be patchable)

Oblivion Gates

No NPC Greetings

Bring Out Your Dead (esp conflicts, maybe patchable*)

Disease Descriptions (probably already included, lots of esp overwrites)

Unknown Enchants

No NPC Greetings

Dungeon Quest Awareness

Thieve Guild Requirements

Guard Dialogue overhaul (core mod, lots of esp conflicts)

*those seem to go into form id conflicts, I dunno how to patch them

Mods not in STEP:

Better stealth AI for Followers

Wow you have done some research, Requiem does touch on many of the items in that list, it should be loaded after everything that isn't a follower mod so that it's changes are kept - you have to pout an override for all the Req esp files to sort them correctly with the exception of Alternate Start which must load after Requiem.esp.

I think it will happily overwrite GDO where it needs to and well you probably don't need most of the mods that you list above. It is recommended that you disable the compass completely and use EBQO to work out where to go. I did get the DCO Req patch from the DCO site but it seems to be missing. Having a look to check out what's afoot.

I looked into Paarthurnax and was surprised not to see it mentioned as I would have thought that this was covered by one of the very many fixes. I will perhaps ask on the Nexus forum as Ogerboss is getting questions relating to this pack so may be willing to help or shoot me.

@Quahogs. Yes I am using the latest Hard times 1.08 - no probs. And yes Requiem does alter when certain quests start Dawnguard definitely and Hearthfires as far as I can tell. Dragonborn Patch is from Azirok and you can start it whenever but like other places around Skyrim it is just too hard to survive there at lower level, but if you are clever and sneaky well...

Hearthfires wont start until you have made some kind of name for yourself, certainly not before level 10 - but I can't swear to it.

As for compatibility the rule is Textures Ok (not big ones though), Animations OK, Interface Ok (you can always override the font if you wish - I like it. Load Requiem last. Follower mods can be loaded later and if you want deadly dragoins then load it after but not needed, anything with vampires and werewolves should be loaded after if you want their changes but seriously the more mods you load after Requiem,esp the greater chance of problems. Hence the need for patches. The esp is huge though, so best to only patch what you need or to add requiem effects to mods that Requiem doesn't touch.

I am using OBIS at the moment which make bandits really challenging, you have to use tactics cos the mages and archers will cut you down pretty quick and while you are dodging them some battleaxe wielding maniac will cut you down just as quick if you don't block or get out of the way - favourite tactic is "Run away" lure the warriors after me then circle back and pick off their mages / archers as they are lightly armoured they die pretty quick. Then get some where high to pick of the heavy armoured folk can usually stand toe to with one or two bandits but not with out some skill in blocking - watch your stamina.

Anyway I will get back to you about DCO.

I have looked at the DCO Requiem Patch after I made my own and it was the same for 1 Form ID but there were three in Race. My patch uses the Requiem file and then adds changes from DCO. The patch is necessary though it would seem as the Dragons would not have Requiem toughness and of course you do want DCO's aerial agility.