STEP Patches

Nearox

It's been very helpful indeed, this last couple of days.. Patched lots of Feminine Females, EEO stuff that wasn't carrying over BOYD, Consistent Older People and USKP data. Lots of other things as well, can't remember now but very instructive manual, thanks again Ess.

Can I get some general critique of these two pages:

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP_Combined_Plugin_Changelog

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP_Core_Patch_Changelog

Obviously they aren't really changelogs yet, but after we have more releases I'll add in true version changes to the page. It is a list of everything in the plugins and some descriptions and little more info for people to use.

I need it to serve certain purposes:

• Create a place that others can use to create a patch in TES5Edit if I return to my home planet.
  • Be a reference for what exactly is in the plugins we provide.
  • Help people or pack authors know what records to remove from a plugin if they need to remove a master.

Ignore the stuff between me and Z at the top of the page, I'll do a proper description section soon-ish.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the STEP extended patch 2-2-9 in TES5Edit and it has more then a full page of errors.

From the following mods:

Bringing Out the Dead - Needed update

Realistic Water 2 - My own fault due to TES5Edit merged esp.

The Choice is Yours - My own fault due to TES5Edit merged esp.

Enhanced Blood Textures - My own fault due to TES5Edit merged esp.

It looks like I had merged several esps with TES5Edit making them incompatible.  I do NOT suggest using the scripted merger unless you are writing a mod.  It is better to do it manually for compatibility.

Edited by uglykidcid

I was looking at the STEP extended patch 2-2-9 in TES5Edit and it has more then a full page of errors.

From the following mods:

Bringing Out the Dead - Needed update

Realistic Water 2 - My own fault due to TES5Edit merged esp.

The Choice is Yours - My own fault due to TES5Edit merged esp.

Enhanced Blood Textures - My own fault due to TES5Edit merged esp.

It looks like I had merged several esps with TES5Edit making them incompatible.  I do NOT suggest using the scripted merger unless you are writing a mod.  It is better to do it manually for compatibility.

So the only errors are now BYOD because it updated after the release of STEP 2.2.9 v1 patches?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I went through updating the patches and we now have a Navmesh conflict between CRF and Oblivion Gates at 000D6013. That requires some CK work that I have never done before or some kind of TES5Edit merging mastery that I'm not sure would work.

I'm thinking of just forwarding the record from CRF and if there is an error with Oblivion Gates so be it. CRF adds in quests that were already in the Skyrim.esm, so it may be more important to have it there. Not really sure what to do... suggestions?

I haven't examined that specific conflict but I think that Oblivion Gates should only edit the navmesh a little bit just so that NPCs wont get stuck there or try to run through it. I'd say let CRF win the conflict entirely since CRF might have new triangles in that cell needed to e.g. access buildings etc. 

I'd suggest to do a simple test. Go to the cell in question, spawn 1 or 2 followers and run around the Oblivion Gate for a few minutes, trying to get the followers to cover all the area. If it doesnt crash then there is most likely no problem :P Well except from the (probably minor) chance that the follower gets stuck. 

Edited by Nearox

I'd test it first, as Nearox suggests, to see if there are any actual problems.  I'd also default to giving CRF priority, at least absent of any additional data concerning the two Navmesh changes.  

If testing proves there's a bit of a problem with the Navmesh around the Oblivion gate, then there is a way to fix this without directly editing the Navmesh itself.  There is a type of collision box that can be placed around the base of items to "cut" the Navmesh.  This has the same in-game effect as directly editing the Navmesh (i.e. NPCs don't run into the gate).  Hearthfire uses this technique extensively when activating various furniture and items where the Navmesh has to adapt for the presence of the new items.  I've used this method before in a couple of my mods to avoid editing the Navmesh and creating potential conflicts, and I'd be willing to help set it up for the STEP patch if needed.