CPU affinity - two different approaches

Vond

Question

So, there are two different approaches to improving performance by changing CPU affinity from what I've seen. One is using Skyrim Extended Launcher to 'lock' Skyrim into using 2 specific cores (this is obviously only interesting for people with 4+ core CPUs), as the game only makes use of two anyway but what happens normally is that Windows spreads the load between all cores which means that CPU frequencies go up and down like crazy. Using SEL changes this as it will use those 2 cores fully improving stability and performance.

The other approach is to add some settings to your Skyrim.ini, assigning specific jobs to the different CPU cores. Following this guide assigns 2 cores to rendering, and 2 cores to AI and such.

The .ini additions (for 4 cores):

Skyrim.ini:

[General]

iNumHWThreads=4

iHWThread6=3

iHWThread5=3

iHWThread4=3

iHWThread3=2

iHWThread2=2

iHWThread1=2

iAIThread2HWThread=3

iAIThread1HWThread=2

iRenderingThread2HWThread=1

iRenderingThread1HWThread=0

bMultiThreadMovement=1

bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1

bUseThreadedBlood=1

bUseThreadedMorpher=1

bUseThreadedTempEffects=1

bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1

bUseThreadedTextures=1

bUseThreadedMeshes=1

bUseThreadedLOD=1

bUseThreadedAI=1

bUseHardDriveCache=0

[HAVOK]

iNumThreads=2

Now, you can't use both of these together, as doing one of these changes nullifies the other. Has anyone played around with these and can supply some insight on which approach seems to be working best for you? I will try out the .ini changes for starters myself, but actually comparing the two probably takes quite a lot of testing and thus if someone has already done so, sharing it would be great!

• Answers 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

what screen do you recommend? I'm not really budget limited on my monitor, since i wouldn't buy another for the next 5 years probably :D

I think 1920:1080 would be a fine resolution, since I don't think my vram could handle a widescreen setup with my current skyrim config.

There's no reason why anyone should want to upgrade from an i5 760 for gaming.You can easily overclock it to 3.6 GHz and to 4-4.2 GHz if you've done a bit of overclocking before.

I've been running a 750 here since its launch, still one of the strongest CPUs for gaming, considering that 90% of new games are GPU-limited.

No AMD CPUs come close and the only Intels that do, SB and IB, don't offer enough of performance improvement to warrant an upgrade.

Also, overclocking RAM is a gimmick, the only reason why I'd get a memory that runs at higher frequencies than 1600 MHz is when overclocking a CPU held back by its multiplier.

Precicely why 1600-rated RAM is important for the i5-750/60. It allows you to bump up your FSB t0 200 and downgrade RAM multiplier from 10x to 8x. OC to 4.0 GHz (with CPU mult of 20x) is a natural and stable outcome as long as you disable throttling and bump your voltages correctly (and possibly v-droop, I cannot recall my settings offhand without rebooting). I have been running this stable for many months and my temps work at around 30-35C under normal use and jumpt to around 50-55C while gaming. Prime95 can push them to about 70-75C. I could not ask for more stability than that.

I can even push things more, but stability is no longer rock solid then, rather it is iffy (but not due to temps).

Well almost, IPS at that res goes for $900+ but then you have to buy a new graphics card or probably 2.

This model would do.

PLS isn't all that good, unfortunately, it's a flawed technology at best. IPS is much more mature and you can even get some cheap Korean brands with LG panels that are 2560x1440 (Yamakasi Catleap, etc.) for a fraction of the price.

I have a Hazro HZ27WC that is a rather good quality panel (the LG used in Apple Cinema Display), although the stand looks very cheap and isn't too functional.

Well, I settled for this one here: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S23A550H-23-Inch-Class-Monitor/dp/B004TPTVJI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337344044&sr=8-2

I like'd the design and the price wasn't too high either (in euros everything is mostly 1.5x as much!)...

I'm not going for any 3D-monitor since i really don't like stuff like that. Just no need for it xD

Guys did you figure out wheater or not the multicore ini tweaks had any impact?

Tomorrow i will test skyrim with multithreading disabled and enabled.

I would really like to get a better use of my cpu in skyrim.

The performance monitor says i have tweakes to enable Im asuming those are they tweaks you guys tested in the first place?

i7 3770k @4,8 GHZ

Titan

Z77 Sabertooth