The best game in Fallout series?

Which ons of Fallout games is the best?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which ons of Fallout games is the best?

• Fallout 1
    • Fallout 2
    • Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel
    • Fallout 3 (+DLC)
    • Fallout: New Vegas (+DLC)
    • I've never played Fallout games

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to say New Vegas.

I do like the idea of playing all the factions off against each other, I like the setting a tad more than Fallout 3 as well.

Having said that I wouldn't complain if all I ever got to play was Fallout 3.

I have Fallout 2 hiding somewhere but never played it to comment.

Edited by Nozzer66

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting question. 

I don't think comparing 1 & 2 with 3 and NV is really a fair comparison. They're very different games and each excellent in they're own way. 

Choosing between one and two is tough. FO2 was the first of the series I encountered, and I have great nostalgia for the game. Looking back though, I think some of the elements felt a little forced in comparison to Fallout. It's a slight thing, but if I had to choose, I'd choose FO1.

For 3 and NV, I'd go for FO3 every time. I prefer the music, the setting, the characters, pretty much everything really.  Which I find odd in some ways: Obsidian has a lot of the original Fallout series devs I believe and in a great many ways NV is a better Fallout than FO3 ever was. The deathclaws and radscorpions are again the terrors I remember from the original games; the setting is more akin to that of the originals, the super mutants more nuanced rather than the stereotypical thugs of the Capital Wasteland. So why don't I enjoy it the most?

I've talked to some hardcore Fallout fans who assume that Bethesda didn't entirely understand the cannon, and basically got it wrong. I tend to think that where they compromised on Fallout lore, they did it based on experience of what worked well and what didn't in a Gamebryo based environment. I think NV is a better Fallout, but I think FO3 is a better game.  Certainly it's the one I enjoy the most.

• 1 year later...

I never actually got to play Fallout 1 & 2, I started on Fallout 3 and I played it to completion on Xbox 360 and liked it that much I bought it again on PC and now thanks to the wonders of Fallout 4 I also have a digital copy of 3 on my xbox one, between 3 and NV I would choose 3 everytime, the story feels better now that the Broken Steel dlc changed the ending slightly, I never even got halfway through with NV before I stopped playing, I did try to get back into it recently but just finished the goodsprings missions and was already fed up so went back to 3.

I've played Fallout 1-3, partial FO4, and FNV. Fallout 2 is my personal favorite since it seems more like a real RPG with lots of choices, and because I really like the whimsical atmosphere. Of the Bethesda Fallout games it's hard for me to choose between Fallout 3 and Fallout NV as each have some advantages and disadvantages. I can say that I prefer Fallout 3 and Fallout NV to what I've seen so far in Fallout 4; it's seems more like a first person shooter with some quests than an RPG. It's added some nice features (settlements, a uniform approach to weapon and armor mods), but it seems to have strayed from what I expect in an RPG.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fallout 2 is my personal #1. Main reason why: I'm old!

Now seriously: main reason: funniest NPCs and best-quality dialogues of all Fallout games thus far! Typhon, Renesco "the Rocketman" or the chess-playing radscorpion were all great and hilarious, to name a few. All NPC had individuallity and effort put into them. The pop-culture references were also great. The game never took itself too seriously, which I find is a minor flaw of FO 3 and a MAJOR flaw of FO4.

Also FO2 had a distinct RPG-feel and was primarily a game about choices: it was impossible to max out every single stat and/or skill, so plaaning ahead and careful perk picking were important.

Battles were also very tactical and did not rely on reflexes, which suits me better, as I am not that good at reflex-heavy games (like FPSs).

That being said, I relly enjoyed FO1, FO3 and espcially FO:NV, which I view as the spiritual successor of Interplay's Fallout series. I haven't played BoS and I don't plan to play FO4 in the near future, as I don't like the direction it has taken.