BSAOpt/DDSOpt

Neovalen

Question

Is anyone else having an issue of texture corruption (purple textures)/BSOD when compressing back into bsa using these tools?

I can never seem to get it to work correctly (extract/optimization to another folder work fine). It is just the compressing back into bsa.

So instead I've been using FO3 Archive Utility to pack back into bsa. It seems to work fine.

Does BSAOpt/DDSOpt do something different I should be aware of?

11 answers to this question

DDSopt is by far the most customizeable and you can edit your own exclusion list to avoid creating bad textures (DDSopt is a subset of NIFopt and BSAopt is a subset of DDSopt, the full NIFopt has not been ported to skyrim yet). SMCO is quite new still but looks promising, be aware that it is known to create bad meshes on occasion and a bad mesh will cause a ctd, where a bad texture just turns purple.

DDSopt is by far the most customizeable and you can edit your own exclusion list to avoid creating bad textures (DDSopt is a subset of NIFopt and BSAopt is a subset of DDSopt, the full NIFopt has not been ported to skyrim yet). SMCO is quite new still but looks promising, be aware that it is known to create bad meshes on occasion and a bad mesh will cause a ctd, where a bad texture just turns purple.

Just wanted to note that SMCO has an exclusion-list too btw, and even a button in the tool to update the "official" exclusion-list so that there's no need to release a new version just for that, which is nice. Also very easy to add your own exceptions to it, which I did for a bunch of nif's when I optimized my meshes+meshes inside BSA's