Safety Load (by: kapaer)

Rune11

Well partly true anyways.

Artifacts like that are normally due to memory errors... bad read/write orders etc. And those always do happen with bad memory chips, and or OC and overheating etc.

However if that is the case then artifacts should also happen in other applications... and you should most of the time get the annoying message that the video driver has been reset in order to prevent a BSOD.

In this case then it is properly an issue related to what the mod does to the memory management of the game. Would properly be a legit case of "bug" to report to the author.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The author released a potential fix for the people getting CTDs.

Which is an INI file with a single option - to enable/disable Safety Load in loading screens only. The trade off is lack of (supposed) increased stability in game. I said 'supposed', as I don't know if that's actually the case. There are multiple reports of this mod doing miracles :) but I'm always hesitant with judgement. The author himself states that his mod fixes ONLY ILS's due to too many objects being loaded into the game... He never said anything about the in game stability :)

Anyway, I am going try this mod with load screens only option enabled, as I was getting artifacts when using the previous version. See what happens... Won't be tonight though, as having Talisman board game session (first time in many many years!).

Which is an INI file with a single option - to enable/disable Safety Load in loading screens only. The trade off is lack of (supposed) increased stability in game. I said 'supposed', as I don't know if that's actually the case. There are multiple reports of this mod doing miracles :) but I'm always hesitant with judgement. The author himself states that his mod fixes ONLY ILS's due to too many objects being loaded into the game... He never said anything about the in game stability :)

Anyway, I am going try this mod with load screens only option enabled, as I was getting artifacts when using the previous version. See what happens... Won't be tonight though, as having Talisman board game session (first time in many many years!).

The author states that it should solve in-game freezes due too too many things loading (not scripts) too i believe. 

The author states that it should solve in-game freezes due too too many things loading (not scripts) too i believe. 

Indeedy. I must have missed that part.

I stand corrected!

Been playing for about 10 hours today (being unemployed does have some benefits..). I have all the heavy graphics mods installed and a fair number of mods using scripts, Skyre, frostfall. Wet n Cold, RnD, CH, EFF etc. Not had a glitch all day, that's unheard of for my loadout.

I'd love to know what this mod actually does but whatever it is, it seems to work.

After 2 months of a STEEP learning curve I sucked it up and rolled out my 200+ mods and finally... started... to play.   I've been hovering between Riverwood and Whiterun for weeks now and have learned to live with the ILS ALL OVER Whiterun.  Moving in and out of the city, in and out of Jorvascar(sp?) .  Loading saved games.  Brutal.  But I persevere because the game is amazing and I have limited ability and time to troubleshoot.  But this Safefy Load...  unreal.  2 days not one ILS.  

It's the real deal.  

I would disagree with MT for a few reasons.

1: What do you want to test? Its a case of either.. it works or it does not, and this is dependent upon mod lists mainly.

STEP:Core and extended do not stress the engine enough to cause these issues if you follow the guidelines.

2: There are still a few issues with it, and due to its technical nature then troubleshooting is not easy... like the graphical artifact issue presented earlier. More are bound to come later on. In general I do not think that any technical solutions should just be rushed into the guide.

3: Just like ENBoost, this is another technical change to the engine that should only be required if you want to do advanced modding, since that is the only area where you need the extra buffer in stability.

And lastly... what do you want to test! :D

I've gotten ILS with STEP when travelling from Skyrim to Solstheim and back, plus when going into various dungeons near Ivarstead/Riften/Ravenrock. No additional mods where installed, but all textures where 2k. So, if ENBoost and Safety Load allow the user to enhance the visual quality of their game even more, then why not tell them what we personally found out through properly testing them?

STEP does not advocate that you use 2k textures! For the following very good reason.

The engine itself cannot handle pure 2k without the help of these extra utilities. But then we are going into more advanced modding.

But again how would you propose we set up a test that shows we have properly tested it?

The way I see it then the mod lists we all use (or try to anyways) that would require it are different. Like some use SkyRE some do not.

My own build currently does use ENBoost, to make sure I can use 2k textures most of the time.... but I do not have any ILS or Freeze. Hence I do not need this installed.

The best thing we can do is to suggest that people try to use these utilities if they run into problems! And then remember to tell that that other issues might arise!

I hope that all makes sense hehe! :)

Sure, but just like cleanmem, we do not want to advocate for a utility claiming to do things, we did not check for ourselves. I know of some of our team who've already checked it out, so marking this for testing would just be a bureaucratical manoeuvre. Then those guys can give their reports, we put our assessment of what the tool currently CAN and CANNOT do at the OP and done that is.