Skyrim need to be elevated

astalicia

Question

Hello,

I followed the S.T.E.P. tutorial from the beginning till the step 2E (interface.) I wanted to do a benchmark before continuing, but when I try to start my game trough MO I get this error message :

Posted Image

What is elevation ? It won't let me start the game with the mods. I can start it normally though my desktop, but I have to run it as administrator to prevent it from crashing. I tried the borderless windows mod, but it didn't worked.

7 answers to this question

I moved the folder. The error message doesn't appear anymore, but the game doesn't seems to reorganize my mods. For example, I have no menu and loading smoke installed but I can still see the smoke on the loading screen. I tried to lunch the game using the SKSE, Skyrim and Skyrim Laucher in the MO but none seems to work.

I checked and I have a few mods that aren't packaged correctly. I am working on re-installing them correctly. I'm not sure which folder should be set as data directory for this one though. I think it's supposed to be the one with the plugins/textures, but I'm not sure which one it is...

Posted Image

@astalicia. As you are new to MO I highly recommend the videos made by Deathneko11 and Bridger. The links for them are in the resources tab of the MO wiki.  The latter also contains lots of useful information. In the 'installing mods' tab section 'manual install' is described how you can rearrange mods so you get the 'looks good' message. For mods without an installer I recommend always choosing 'manual' when installing them. If a mod is not packaged correctly and its the first time this is recognized by MO the builtin tutorial tells you what to do to get the 'looks good message'. Personally I always do 'manual' and I always created a Docs/modname directory where I put the documentation. The priorities tab in the MO wiki will explain in detail how you can change the priorities.

EssArrBee is right about Optimizer textures. A mod in MO is nothing more then a directory in the /mods directory. This is discussed in the adanced tab section 'the virtual filing system' (VFS). So just select in Optimizer Textures a /mods/modname directory for the mod you want to optimize or select the /mods directory if you want to all installed mods. NOT recommended.

I have this feeling that because of 'elevation' and moving your game the VFS does not kick in at all when Skyrim is started due to Steam problems. A related issue has been posted  in the Nexus MO forum, date time posted @ 4:10, 11 Nov 2013. You can check if the VFS works by starting Free Commander in the third party programs. If that works and your mods are not shown when you start Skyrim it probably is a steam problem as it was in the mentioned article.

Note to self: Copy that article to the 'technical details' subforum and possibly later to the wiki in some form.

Thanks you to both of you ! I watched the tutorials and I understand a lot better how to use MO. I re-installed the mods that weren't properly packaged and I deactivated the Even Better Quests Objectifs patches since I don't have Non-Essential Children, The Choice is Yours, and The Paarthurnax Dilemma installed yet. It seems to be working perfectly so far.