Forum Performance Issues

Bealdwine

Question

Ah first to post, virgin territory :D

Just a quick note about an issue I get on the site.

Because I tend to use the 'View New Posts' option to go directly to new content the site doesn't recognise that I don't need to be alerted to new activity in the 'containing' fora so the icons for these are still yellow if I go into the forum manually == confusing :?

Eg. I use View New Posts to go to the latest chat in '[REL] Skyrim Unplugged' but once I finish if I go into the main forum the icons are telling me there is unread content in /Mods, the Universe & Everything and then /Specific Mods as well. As you plan to use layers of sub-fora for organisation this is going to recur quite often.

Just a small glitch but might be fixable? :yes:

• Answers 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Am I missing something or is it simply not there yet? Either way I could really use a quick 'Mark All As Read' button that works at sub-fora level, it's a bit anal but with things like the thread dump it will always show as holding unread posts because I'm not going to spend time going through them all :P

Am I missing something or is it simply not there yet? Either way I could really use a quick 'Mark All As Read' button that works at sub-fora level, it's a bit anal but with things like the thread dump it will always show as holding unread posts because I'm not going to spend time going through them all :P

I changed some of the "Thread Dump" forum attributes, so let me know if this fixes the "new posts" issues ... did not foresee this problem :doh:

Every time I close a forum tab or change pages (eg changes pages in a forum topic) I am getting the following pop-up box:

Message from webpage - Stack overlfow at line: 1822

Happening on work PC which runs IE8 version 8.0.760.1.17514

Every time I close a forum tab or change pages (eg changes pages in a forum tab) I am getting the following pop-up box:

I had a typo and linked to an older version of jquery which is known to cause such errors in IE8. I fixed the version that is loaded, so let me know if you still experience it. You may need to clear out your cache as well.

I've tried to add "Mark All Forums Read" to other areas, but the function requires a specific code that apparently is only accessible to the board stats template. I can't even access the language text for that function. Pretty annoying. Adding to my plate of things to work on and see if I can't find some way of making that available on a global level. For now, unfortunately, it's only accessible from the main page.

I've tried to add "Mark All Forums Read" to other areas, but the function requires a specific code that apparently is only accessible to the board stats template. I can't even access the language text for that function. Pretty annoying. Adding to my plate of things to work on and see if I can't find some way of making that available on a global level. For now, unfortunately, it's only accessible from the main page.

Thanks for all your efforts s4n :) It's a relatively trivial thing so don't sweat it, but all respect to you for the amount of work you've dedicated to the site. Fun isn't it? :D

Every time I close a forum tab or change pages (eg changes pages in a forum tab) I am getting the following pop-up box:

I had a typo and linked to an older version of jquery which is known to cause such errors in IE8. I fixed the version that is loaded, so let me know if you still experience it. You may need to clear out your cache as well.

Still getting it on work pc, deleted temporary files (but not cookies) yesterday and forced refresh of page. Still happening today after a reboot

Still getting it on work pc, deleted temporary files (but not cookies) yesterday and forced refresh of page. Still happening today after a reboot

Is IE8 giving you an option to debug the page? If so, try and get what file/resource the error is occurring in. The tab breadcrumbs themselves don't use javascript, and if there is a CSS style that it doesn't like, it should be ignoring it. I'm betting it's a javascript issue because there aren't even 1182 lines in the HTML source. All versions of IE can be such a picky @#$%! sometimes.

EDIT: I installed XPMode VirtualPC so I could install IE8 in it and test it out. Darn thing blue screens when I try to create a VM the first time, then my entire system goes wonky. Way to go MS!

Ok worked out that it is F12 to debug and on Script tab after debugging (may not be complete debug) it found these 2 errors. I tried pasting in all the script code but it crashed IE as over 6000 lines.

Couldn't copy text so am pasting in link to images of errors and lines and surrounding lines

https://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5561/capturepx.png

https://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7296/1822o.png

https://img824.imageshack.us/img824/428/5574.png