Fallout 4?

I've just read somewhere

Bethesda Game Studios' Todd Howard told Geoff Keighley on YouTube's E3 stream that the modding feature is currently exclusive to Xbox One, although it won't be available at Fallout 4's launch — it will be added to the game in 2016. Howard also said that he wants to bring the feature to PlayStation 4.

Are they retarded or what? Aside from the fact that it doesn't make any sense at all, because mods have to be created on PC, what's this console priority+exclusivity bullsh*t all the time? I'm sick of release dates for PC being weeks after consoles and other crap.

Since they're running a new version of the Creation Engine, I imagine that will make porting over Skyrim mod tools easier than having to rebuild them from scratch, as well as give folks a running start in terms of creating mods in the first place.

• +1 1

It has come up a couple of times in the thread, but I thought I would confirm that the Script Extender team intends to produce another script extender for Fallout 4. The timing of release of the game and release of the modding tools looks similar to that of Skyrim, so I imagine we'll be following the same pattern. We'll begin work porting our current code as soon as we get access to the game.

From information released by Bethesda and from previous experience, I expect Fallout 4 to use a further evolved version of the same game engine used in the previous games. It should also be using the Papyrus scripting language. I hope that means (as with earlier xSE releases) we'll be able to jump start our functionality based on what we have accomplished with SKSE, NVSE, FOSE and OBSE. But obviously we won't know until we have the game.

Hopefully we'll have another quick start to improving the game through add-ins and perhaps UI improvements (assuming the SkyUI team is interested in making a return as well) before the official tools are available.

I am looking forward to working on F4SE.

- Source

I am really looking forward to Fallout 4 and everything around it. ::):

• +1 1

I've just read somewhere

Are they retarded or what? Aside from the fact that it doesn't make any sense at all, because mods have to be created on PC, what's this console priority+exclusivity bullsh*t all the time? I'm sick of release dates for PC being weeks after consoles and other crap.

I don't see what the issue is here. Todd Howard confirmed that mods created on the PC were going to be transferable from there to Xbox One for free. Later on, he then that the Creation Kit for PC would be coming in early 2016, and then the Xbox One mod transfer would be put in place a little while after that. And then there's the potential for the mods to be transferred over to PS4 too.

I'll agree, I'm exciting for the new crafting systems for both armor and weapons.  The base building component looks interesting also.  Even more hoarding!  I actually am not set on the companion commands however, it seems a bit gimmicky from what the little bit they showed with the dog.  I'd have to see more of it. I'm also don't like the new dialogue interface. I absolutely hated mass effect style dialogue where your character says something different than what you intended him to say.

I agree with you on the dialogue changes. I reckon it has a lot to do with the fact the game now has a voiced protagonist and the limited options available for console gamers. Since they can only access A, B, X & Y, or whatever the keys are, the choices are limited and condensing the text choices places more emphasis on actually listening to the 13000 lines of dialogue for each character. Bethesda has obviously invested heavily in that area and they want users to 'use it'. Apparently there are two voices for each gender so paying voice actors for all that work and not seeing it used extensively in game would be a bummer, if I was the developer.

I don't see what the issue is here. Todd Howard confirmed that mods created on the PC were going to be transferable from there to Xbox One for free. Later on, he then that the Creation Kit for PC would be coming in early 2016, and then the Xbox One mod transfer would be put in place a little while after that. And then there's the potential for the mods to be transferred over to PS4 too.

The text says you will only be able to use mods on consoles first, and on PC later in 2016.

The text says you will only be able to use mods on consoles first, and on PC later in 2016.

That's what it sounds like out of context. The "modding feature" is being able to transfer PC mods over to consoles. Todd Howard confirmed that the Creation Kit is coming to PC in early 2016, and then Xbox One will be able to transfer the mods over sometime after that.

where he said it.
  • +1 2

That's what it sounds like out of context. The "modding feature" is being able to transfer PC mods over to consoles. Todd Howard confirmed that the Creation Kit is coming to PC in early 2016, and then Xbox One will be able to transfer the mods over sometime after that.

where he said it.

I sure did hope it wasn't what it sounded like. This is much better news.

I think Steam Workshop probably gave them the ability for this to exist. It forced Bethesda to fix a problem with BSAs that plagued them from the TES4 days and made simple modding a possibility. Now they can extend that to console players. If I was Bethesda, I'd limit the what is possible on consoles when it launches, but overtime expand it as they work the ins and outs of what is possible. PC gamers may put up with the headaches of modding, but console gamers are much more in the plug and play demographic.