STEP type guide for Fallout New Vegas

I've never been able to use Unified HUD with Wrye Flash. It has a fomod that runs a script which combines the xml data so all the HUD mods get used together. How exactly did you get it to run the interface?

Also, there is One HUD which combines iHUD, aHUD, and primary needs HUD. It's awesome.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dropped it into Wrye and assumed all went to plan. It shows configured in the window. Conflicts;

B02a-The Mod Configuration Menu-42507-1-5.7z

menus\options\start_menu.xml

menus\prefabs\includes_StartMenu.xml

B03a-DUINVv04.7z

menus\tutorial_menu.xml

menus\main\hud_main_menu.xml

menus\main\stats_menu.xml

menus\options\start_menu.xml

B03c-aHUD v 1_3-40858-1-3.7z

B03d-iHUD v 3_4-40340-3-4.7z

B04-Unified HUD Project v 3_7-38961-3-7.z

but I assumed those were expected overwrites. Not knowing what to expect in game I thought all was cope-a-shee-shee.

Umm, Unified HUD is not an in game mod, it is a utility to combine the xml stuff from multiple mods that change the HUD so you don't have to copy paste stuff on the xml documents. It has an installer with detection for the mods it supports. If you don't use the installer then all you'll miss is the HUD icons that other mods add. Not so much a problem with a couple mods, but it becomes an issue with 4 or 5 mods that start adding things.

Gotcha. Did a little reading and realized One HUD replaces aHUD/iHUD/Needs HUD, so moved to that. I need to take another look at uHUD and install it correctly.

I also need to sort the male body, I just wanted Slice of Life compatibility, I have some kind of texture issue causing black patches on my avatar (and wearable schlongs I could do without).

I like how many esp's can be merged by Wrye, but I find myself exceeding some game limit (I assume memory, but I'm not sure) and getting ILS on game start. I've found a "sweet spot" that allows an impressive number of mods (altered from but still similar to the one posted above). 

• 2 months later...

I'm following EssArrBee's guide but there's so much stuff! I wasn't planning on filling up my drive with mods. Or following a guide. But I can't help myself around lists!

Isn't there a minimalist guide, especially re: models/textures?

How minimalist? I would say add '_STEP_TYPE' to the end of the url for my guide and you will get my first attempt at a guide that is much more of an enhanced vanilla list. That guide was my first try at doing something for FNV, so it is a bit rough.

Well, with project nevada it would be a bit weird to use Jsawyer. I don't think I would use that mod over all the other gameplay overhauls anyways.

I would say go with YUP, NMC's, Poco or Ojo Bueno, Cabal's mods, Millenia's mods, and Emerald Reign's mods. Then add Jsawyer on top of that if you like. 

• 4 weeks later...

NICE!  I just found your guide, Essarrbee!  I have recently bought Fallout New Vegas while waiting for the next STEP version and decided to mod it up.  I first found Gopher's guide and started off with that as a base.  Then I browsed around the Nexus for other mods (mainly the most popular ones, or through recommendations by various people) and came up with a pretty good list.  I also used ideas/tools from STEP for Skyrim modding and applied them to FNV.  One problem I ran into is figuring out how to sort all my mods properly to have files from the best ones overwrite the lesser ones.  Without a guide like the STEP guide, it's difficult, especially with regards to the HUD-type mods... Ugh - confusing.  I just found this thread and your guide, so now I'm going to review it and see what I can change to my mod list.  I'll give you feedback too, in case I found a cool mod that you didn't... or figured out a good tweak or something that you didn't mention.

• 1 month later...

Posted Image

Posted Image

just in case if anyone is wondering I installed EssArrBee's guide and everything so far seems to be working properly, here is a comparison shot of before and after, it really is amazing how shitty the game looks before

Fantastic guide! I just thought I'd add though, I had weird errors with 2 of the mods. Project Nevada (the normal version, not Extra Options) couldn't be detected by uHUD if loaded via MO and The Weapon Mod Menu would overwrite the DarNified items menu in the Pip-Boy. Easily fixed though - follow the guide but swap the instructions for both Project Nevada and The Weapon Mod Menu to use the FOMM - Fork method instead of MO. Possibly worth adding these as a note, because it took me hours to suss out what was going wrong with my setup.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I finally finished to install everything from the guide but when I launch FNV4GB.exe from MO with all the proper parameter (if I don't it crashes) it launches the default launcher and no mods are loaded.

If I launch the launcher from MO I can see all my mods but it crashes because NVSE is not loaded (I guess).

The NVSE launcher crash on launch.

Anyone already encounter this problem?

I have seen this in a couple of posts and since I cannot reproduce it I never figured it out so the following may not work.

In the arguments box you most likely have the following “-laaexe .FalloutnvMO.exeâ€. Try adding “-SteamAppId ID 22380†right after it. It should look like this “-laaexe .FalloutnvMO.exe -SteamAppId ID 22380†minus the quotes.

Report back if it works.

Thanks

I have seen this in a couple of posts and since I cannot reproduce it I never figured it out so the following may not work.

In the arguments box you most likely have the following “-laaexe .FalloutnvMO.exeâ€. Try adding “-SteamAppId ID 22380†right after it. It should look like this “-laaexe .FalloutnvMO.exe -SteamAppId ID 22380†minus the quotes.

Report back if it works.

Thanks

Yes already tried that.

I made a new topic there: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/6228-fnv-4gb-mo-and-nothing-happens/