Wearable Lanterns (by Chesko)

Puff3r

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Chesko posted this update today about v3.0. Looking forward to it!

Hello everyone. Long time no see.

I am working on Wearable Lanterns 3.0. It will feature:

* Greatly improved and optimized script code. I am refactoring things now. The original main script was 4700+ lines long. It is now 2600 and dropping fast.

* New paper lanterns that can be worn or carried. Consumes oil, if oil burning is turned on. Requires Dragonborn.

* Candle Lanterns of the North will be integrated into the main Wearable Lanterns mod.

* Greatly improved reliability. I really just didn't understand how quest Aliases were maintained internally and what their persistence characteristics were in the past. Now, I do. You shouldn't have any more instances of the lantern just "not working".

* Full SkyUI Mod Configuration Menu support.

* Optional oil / pollen level widget for SkyUI users.

* Fixed the bug related to multiple bottles of lantern oil in your inventory causing the oil to be used too quickly.

* Add the missing firefly in a jar mesh to the BSA.

* Improved follower support.

* Fix several issues related to papyrus log errors.

* A couple of other features I don't want to mention in case I don't get around to them.

Stay tuned, this is being actively worked on now. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This mod will need to be tested as compatible with the rest of STEP and that there are no surprises before it can be used with STEP.

Although this is a good and well-done mod, I for one don't agree with it's concept. It is simply a contrived way of dealing with darker dungeons without having to be responsible for preparing for delves into darkness --which is really only necessary with a change to vanilla lighting, which is not part of STEP ... therefore, this is Pack material (but I personally will never use it) ... I cannot imagine wearing a lantern strapped to my belt. It would be awfully clunky and restrictive. There are plenty of lighting alternatives already built into the game.

I vote we drop completely.

They can also be set as held rather than worn. Just an FYI. When you add in the fuel/pollen concept, I think they fit in well with vanilla lighting options.

EDIT: Worth noting is the Paper Lantern does seem to still glow even when extinguished. It doesn't light up the area, but the item itself looks lit if that makes sense.

One of my arguments is the idea of 'wearing' a lantern. It is just not practical. Light would be completely occluded in one direction, casting a huge shadow of the wearer. Not to mention that a lantern swinging from your hip would be easily broken or detached or snuffed out during combat, regardless of the fuel. Held lanterns are fine, but they can be dropped and are much trickier to maintain than a simple torch. Magic is really the most 'practically explainable' method of lighting that is convenient and useful.

This mod has always been a part of the lantern mods we had in step. They all fit together nicely, but if some of them aren't being used anymore because wl doesn't support them anymore, it should be dropped for now.

I get why wearing a lantern in real life is dumb, but last time I checked there are no dragons flying over my house. In terms of realism on nirn, it is probably more realistic that lanterns could carried by people and explain everything else with magic.

... but why even have darker nights and darker dungeons at all then??

If we can simply carry around lanterns to obviate, there is just no point at all. Like I said, this is just a lazy-man's way of 'fixing' another 'fix' by essentially braking that 'fix'!

If we want darker nights and darker dungeons then shouldn't we expect the need to deal with this self-imposed inconvenience in ways that were intended rather than completely negate the imposed realism with this mod, thereby adding convolution and unecessary fat to the game??

Well I think the carried lanterns emit relatively little light, not enough to see far enough in a dark dungeon. If you add in ENB adaptation it becomes even more realistic. I like the ability to carry around a little Lantern as an inconvenient but feasible way for "mundanes" to light up their way.