Wearable Lanterns (by Chesko)

Puff3r

... but why even have darker nights and darker dungeons at all then??

If we can simply carry around lanterns to obviate, there is just no point at all. Like I said, this is just a lazy-man's way of 'fixing' another 'fix' by essentially braking that 'fix'!

If we want darker nights and darker dungeons then shouldn't we expect the need to deal with this self-imposed inconvenience in ways that were intended rather than completely negate the imposed realism with this mod, thereby adding convolution and unecessary fat to the game??

As Spock pointed out, the lantern light only extends a couple feet - enough to see anything directly in front of you.  But you still maintain the larger atmosphere of the dungeon being dark and foreboding beyond your little circle of light.  It's a compromise.  I see where you are coming from though.  From a "lore friendly" standpoint, you wouldn't have a regular flame lantern attached to your hip due to the danger.  

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally what I would like to see is someone (hope you're watching this thread Chesko) and uses say the assets from the magical candlelight spell (the ball and the light effect) and somehow makes like a bangle or little globe that you can attach to you say on your lapel (or that region since armor doesn't usually have them). It'd have to have some method of sticking that would make it unobtrusive regardless of whether you coudl see the attach point or not to make it work with various armors and mods etc. They could even make a little quest and have it as a unique item blessed by Pelor or such; it'd be a toss up to make it fit into lore or assign it to the closest Elder Scrolls deities which IIRC are Akatosh and Arkay.

The light would be gentle but would be "enough" to "guide you on your way" in the dark places and you would still be able to free up a handslot and not have to stare at an ugly flaming (even if it's been retextured and looks awesome) torch all day and get hand cramps... Unless you character enjoys tar, secondhand smoke, the occassional burning ember falling on their hand, not being able to see at night whenever they might have to get a bit wet. The torch has one feature I agree with. You can bash people with it.

One of my arguments is the idea of 'wearing' a lantern. It is just not practical. Light would be completely occluded in one direction' date=' casting a huge shadow of the wearer. Not to mention that a lantern swinging from your hip would be easily broken or detached or snuffed out during combat, regardless of the fuel. Held lanterns are fine, but they can be dropped and are much trickier to maintain than a simple torch. Magic is really the most 'practically explainable' method of lighting that is convenient and useful.[/quote']

Not to mention the burns you'll receive on your butt from hot metal and glass.  There is a reason that there was ring at the top where you held it.

I get that a lot of people like this mod. It is well done and convenient. I just personally don't agree with the premise' date=' and I think it is better suited as a Pack mod.[/quote']

Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about CORE. I agree its probably misplaced there, because STEP doesn't really make it dark enough to need this ... or torches, for that matter.

I get that a lot of people like this mod. It is well done and convenient. I just personally don't agree with the premise' date=' and I think it is better suited as a Pack mod.[/quote']

Sorry' date=' I didn't realize we were talking about CORE. I agree its probably misplaced there, because STEP doesn't really make it dark enough to need this ... or torches, for that matter.[/quote']

I cannot check right now but I think I remember Wearable Lanterns being an extended mod. "Pack" is just a nicer way of saying "this mod is very well done but I don't think it fits STEP:Extended" ;)

Lol, I shouldn't post quickly. STEP extended doesn't add lighting mods either if I recall (would have to check) which, again, makes a lantern mod pointless imo (as much as I personally enjoy this one ... though I DO use darker nights and dungeons :) )

Core was misleading. I meant anything that is not a pack. Sorry (again! heh).

Technically, Extended is a type of Pack, but it is kind of a closed off one. All the other packs are kinda open for anyone to make on their own. STEP Core and Extended are pretty much open for suggestions and feedback, but the STEP Team makes all the final decisions.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this mod is outstanding. The configuration options via the in game manual are great and allow a greater or lesser illumination radius, fuel consumption, and the ability to have it extinguish when sneaking. Also, torchbug lanterns on my followers posteriors have eliminated countless "blue on blue" incidents, so another +1 for safety. A must if you use lighting mods like ELFX / RLO with dark dungeons. As for the lore angle, Dunmer have had paper & bug lanterns since Morrowind. As for burn concerns, I'm wearing full plate I think I'll be fine. In fact in frozen Skyrim I can use a "bits" warmer, I'm moving it to belt front (another option, love options).