I'm a little confused by this iShadowMapResolution setting, so I'll ask a few questions.
- Which textures are influenced by this setting? Terrain only? Do you see the same issues in cities as in the wild?
- What happens with systems with a mixture of 1K, 2K or 4K textures?
- How does this interact with the fShadowDistance setting?
- Does it make a difference if you are near a cell boundary?
- It isn't related to the textures being used on objects, say, the wall texture. I've seen this all over the place and thought it was just a bug in the shadow system until TechAngel's observation. What I believe was happening was that, due to the value being the wrong size, it would flicker between the set size and the nearest correct size.
- Shadows and textures being used don't matter.
- fShadowDistance doesn't affect iShadowMapResolution (I believe). There is a bug with vanilla shadows where there is an obvious change in the shadow quality at low fShadowDistance values that I believe is hardcoded (the shadow LOD settings appear to be non-working). The solution is to move fShadowDistance out farther to 4000 or more. See the videos showing this effect here: https://wiki.step-pr...fShadowDistance
- Good question. Testing this with the cell borders on might prove useful.