Manual vs NMM downloads

Razorsedge877

Question

If I hit manual download and than hit "save as" and select my MO downloads folder all I have to do is hit query info and it pretty much the same as hitting the green NMM button. My question is, is doing it this way much safer and more reliable or should I just use NMM. The reason I ask is certain mods such as Skytest recommend Manual downloads over NMM downloads

2 answers to this question

If you download manually and then "Query Info", MO has less information to go on.

It has to "guess" the mod id from the file name, then retrieve a list of downloads from Nexus and match the downloaded file name against those files to determine the file id and version.

Both can go wrong. The file name can be so obscure that MOs guessing fails and it then continues with a wrong mod id.

Also, the list of files MO can retrieve from Nexus is limited to 30 (Nexus limit, not MO limit), so if your download is not within those 30 files, query info fails.

When you use "Download with Manager" links, all necessary information is passed along with the link.

Also, MO tracks downloads speeds for download mirrors (available in the settings menu) so it can prioritize the fastest server automatically (i admit, the algorithm leaves room for improvement) whereas with manual downloads you have to know which server is fastest yourself.