"None of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive"

Willock

Question

I've been receiving this error on seemingly unrelated files downloaded through MO - if I try to install it after it's finished downloading, it throws "None of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive" at me. They install just fine if I manually import the archive, though.

Things I've tried to resolve it:

• Re-downloaded the offending mods
  • Completely Re-installed MO and freshly downloaded all of my mods
  • Ran as Administrator
  • Ran in Compatibility mode for 7, Vista and XP
Not sure what else to try now. Any ideas?

post-3138-13934818520792_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

I have tried to reproduce you issue but I can NOT. I've downloaded/tested the medium as well as the low resolution version with MO 1.0.,12 and they install just fine. What version of MO are you using?

Willock Wrote

They install just fine if I manually import the archive, though.

What exactly do you mean with this? Did you mean that you unzipped the mod and then copied it to the /mods/ directory or did you mean the top left button which states 'Install a new mod from an archive'. If you meant the former I still can't fully explain why it works for me but not for you but the 'error message' did rang a bell. See bug report #451. You must be logged in to see the comments. Tannin wrote the following: "The file has the wrong file extension. It's labeled as a 7z but really it's a zip. A specialized archiving software (or a library better than the one I have available) may be able to guess the correct file type despite that but MO can't". You can test this by unzipping the mod and then with 7zip or winzip create a 7zip/zip file and then install it.

PS. I have briefly looked for a tool which determines the compression of a file by looking at the contents but so far haven't found one. If somebody knows of such a tool please tell me.

I had the same error. The problem was Nexus crapped out on me downloading a huge file (Interesting NPCs 1.6 GB). The archive was corrupted. An easy way to check if this happened to you is try opening the the file with another program (7zip in my case) and if that fails the archive you have is corrupt. Re-download. This applies to MO 1.0.12. if you are using any other version upgrade.

PS. I have briefly looked for a tool which determines the compression of a file by looking at the contents but so far haven't found one. If somebody knows of such a tool please tell me.

Done a bit of digging and  I found tridnet, which is the GUI for the trid program.The homepage states: "TrID is an utility designed to identify file types from their binary signatures. While there are similar utilities with hard coded logic, TrID has no fixed rules. Instead, it's extensible and can be trained to recognize new formats in a fast and automatic way.". Tested it by renaming a rar and 7zip file to 7zip and rar. Threw them into tridnet and the original compression type was recognized. Tridnet has signatures for 5231 file types atm. Trid the CLI version has a few extra tricks like changing the extension for a file or files automatically. This can be very usefull , for example, when working with files recovered by data rescue software, where the extensions are lost or for example are given the same extension. There are probably similar tools out there.

I had the same problem quite a few times with files downloaded from the nexus today. In some cases redownloading fixed it, but the best solution I found was to download the files manually then just move them into the mo downloads folder. Once I ran query info on the files from mo it recognised them and they installed fine. Imo related to nexus issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just to clarify on my previous post, I do not use MO to download mods. I use Firefox to manually download mods with the download directory pointed to MO/downloads. Today I got the error "None of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive" due to the Nexus behaving oddly during a large file (1.6 GB) download. It took 3 tries to get it right.  In the past, I have gotten the error when trying to install a mod that had not completed fully downloading when I thought it had. The error was due to an incomplete archive or a corrupted archive. Either way easily checked using a program like 7zip. Therefore the error had nothing to do with MO itself. Today's error was due to the Nexus, again, behaving flaky.

Sorry about the late reply.

Just to confirm, yes, when I say "import manually" what I actually mean is I re-download the mod using the "download manually" option on the Nexus.

As far as I can tell, the suggestion that the mods are corrupt downloading through MO on occasion seems to be what I am experiencing, as when I try to open the MO - downloaded archive with 7zip it gives me the standard "cannot open this archive" message.

Also if DanimalTwo is correct and its happening with manually downloaded mods as well, that seems to suggest that it's a Nexus issue not delivering the downloads correctly as appose to an MO issue.

So really I'm just re-iterating what other people said, but yes, I agree with the observations made.

This error happens to me all the time, and I also use Firefox. I found that the problem is MO says "Downloaded" long before Firefox is actually done with the download. So keep an eye on the download INSIDE FIREFOX before attempting to double click the downloaded file in MO.

Mod Organizer doesn't currently support the "Oops, our database is struggling!" message sent by the Nexus servers. Therefore, Mod Organizer thinks it is downloading the file, when it actually is downloading that message constantly until the file is filled. It is currently, therefore, better to download the large mods manually. Hopefully Tannin will be able to add this new warning so it doesn't do this.