My Gaming Rig

TechAngel85

For those of you not being able to keep up with this on other forums....

The hard drive has been a nightmare! I RMA'd the first one and just received the replacement today. It at least went two steps farther than the first. The first wouldn't even pass POST. The replacement is recognized and will even partition; however, it will not format. It fails Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic software tests. So at this point the drive is losing it's value because of return shipping cost on products that are defective. This isn't right from a customer service standpoint. So I contacted Newegg and told them just that. They're covering the return shipping cost on this drive and sending a second replacement free of change. Now that's better. :^_^:

However, if this third drive is DOA I'm going to find the first Western Digital exec I can and place the drive where the sun doesn't shine so he'll be motivated to fix the quality assurance and control issues of his product. WD used to be top of line hard drives. One DOA is reasonable and understandable....two in a row is not or perhaps unlucky....three strikes and you're out. Product will be labeled as crap and I'll move on to your competitors.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on getting one in the future, but for budget reasons I've had to go with a HDD for now. It's a WD Blue 1T drive and has been nothing but trouble. Data Lifeguard has ran all night on the drive and has been stuck on the same sector for 7 hours. I have my shipping label already printed. It'll be a UPS truck tomorrow and out of my hair.

Never had any problems withh Western Digital, Seagate or Hitachi drives, never had to RMA one or had one DOA. I should also mention that I have about 30 of them in my machine and the garage (combined) even have some SATA6's from after the tsunami.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally!!! Drive #5 seems to be working as expected (hope I'm not jinxing myself here)

After going through 3 Western Digital Blue drives (refunded the third), I purchased a Western Digital Black drive. That one arrived as DOA as well. :pinch: I was sick of dealing with Newegg so this forth drive I registered on Western Digital and RMA'ed it through them under it's warranty. They advanced shipped the drive without requiring a credit card to back it up (which surprised me...but I shipped off the dead drive the day later anyway). The drive arrived today and is the first to pass all the tests! I seriously want to know what Newegg is doing with their drive handling for me to have received 4 DOA drive in a row!

The only thing am not 100% satisfied with Western Digital about is they sent me a previous model drive (can tell by the model number). The newer drive claim improvements on speed; however, I'm just so glad the drive passed all the testing that I don't even give a sh*t anymore! Haha! :lol: I've had my system built without a good drive in it for over a month now. Let us pray this one installs Windows and everything is sound once I start using it for good.

Off to install Windows!

Update:

The RMA drive directly from Western Digital is purring like a happy cat! Well...actually, it's one of the nosiest drive I've ever owned, but hell...it's working! I'll be getting Skyrim set up tonight while celebrating with a bottle of wine. ::):