Better Males (by Chris57 and FavoredSoul)

z929669

I tried to optimize Better males following the settings but totally failed because of my lack of understanding of the settings in DDSopt. Anyone care to walk me through the settings, which would be on the constraints tab, right? Or maybe a screenshot if thats easier. When I DDSopted these textures they ended up dark, as if they weren't lit up by lighting.

I have good understanding of using DDSopt and good computer knowledge, I just don't know anything about textures. Thanks!

I tried to optimize Better males following the settings but totally failed because of my lack of understanding of the settings in DDSopt. Anyone care to walk me through the settings, which would be on the constraints tab, right? Or maybe a screenshot if thats easier. When I DDSopted these textures they ended up dark, as if they weren't lit up by lighting.

I have good understanding of using DDSopt and good computer knowledge, I just don't know anything about textures. Thanks!

Better Males has two pieces, a body mod (with 2 textures per race, a body texture and a model space normal map for the body) and a head mod (one model space normal map). For constraints tab settings I'd suggest starting with the alternate constraints tab settings here. For the model space normal maps (the uppermost constraint tab setting) choose R8G8B8 or R5G6B5 (if you you want some size reduction of the texture), and choose 2048x2048 or 1024x1024 for uncompressed textures depending on whether you want reduced resolution. For the male body texture set the compressed value  in "resolution limit" to 2048x2048 or 1024x1024" depending on whether you want texture size reduction. None of these choices should result in black textures.

• 2 weeks later...

(..) BTW, where would we put it? After or before XCE and Better Male Feet, Coverkhajits, and what options from those two files?Edit: Okay, more research suggests to place it right after Better Male Feet.

I installed Better Males following SRLE and expected to see "Better Male Feet" to be dropped after the addition of an all-in-one-replacer into STEP. Do I miss something here?

And thanks to Kelmych and Nearox for pointing me (and, I'm sure, others as well) into the right direction for an essential texture optimization.

Edited by thommaal

So, if Better Males is getting implmented, why not get rid of XCE and implement CBBE? There is non nude availability. It also already utilizes some of the same hair, freckles, brow, and eye mods already in STEP. It would be like cutting out the middle man and having an all in one pack. Or there is the even better SG female textures. Thats what I did. My setup is Better Males, CBBE with SG over it, and Ethereal Elven Overhaul and it looks amazing. Just food for thought.

Edited by Vulgar1

So, if Better Males is getting implmented, why not get rid of XCE and implement CBBE? There is non nude availability. It also already utilizes some of the same hair, freckles, brow, and eye mods already in STEP. It would be like cutting out the middle man and having an all in one pack. Or there is the even better SG female textures. Thats what I did. My setup is Better Males, CBBE with SG over it, and Ethereal Elven Overhaul and it looks amazing. Just food for thought.

CBBE will most likely not be implemented due to armor compatibility. We're currently looking at options for a female replacer that will work with all vanilla armors and clothing. It looks like CNHF 2.5 will be the first one we're going to test for that. Right now we're just testing for vanilla compatibility. Then we'll move on to skin textures. One "step" at a time.

As for EEO, I personally will probably use it on my personal install; however, it's probably not for STEP. I usually play Elves in these types of game but never have in Skyrim due to their appearance. Personally, I think Eleven folk should be very fair and beautiful. This is how the mast majority of lore describes the Eleven race. Bethesda has made them old and ugly! Not at all how I picture Eleven folk. If I could find Elder Scroll lore to support EEO, I'd advocate it.

• 3 weeks later...

We're testing out WSCO for STEP which might replace Better Males. I took some captures of a generic High Elf male and Nord for comparison.

Vanilla >> Better Males >> WSCO

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

(sorry for the camera move on better males. I had to reinstall it with a more vanilla chest hair option which still seems to be too hairy...option 2 would have been better. oh well...)

The faces in both Better Males and WSCO are the same as they use the same face meshes by Genox; however, WSCO seems to use a more vanilla body than that of Better Males. There are some issues, however. The first two are present in both Better Males and WSCO so they cancel out on comparing for mod inclusion. The first two issues are seams. At close distance you can see both wrist and neck seams. The good thing is that texture lines up (blood veins are in line) so it makes it less noticeable.

The third issue is the feet. With Better Males texture you get nicely places textures; however, you end up with feet that are oddly smooth, mis-colored and brighter than the rest of the body. (see first images for each set.) WSCO provides a bit better of a match for the color; however, it doesn't incorporate Better Male Feet (yet...I'll hit the author up about it once he/she responds to my PM). Therefore, with Better Male Feet activated with WSCO you receive misplaced textures on the feet (last shot below).

Better Males >> WSCO

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

I do when I need to get up close; however, to get as near as identical frames as possible for each compare I've found that the tfc command doesn't save so well. Loading up a save where I'm in free camera rarely puts me back in the exact same spot. In fact, I'm usually hovering a mile off the ground when I load those saves. Therefore, this is as good as it gets to achieve frames with (nearly) the only difference being the mod change in each shot.