Better Males (by Chris57 and FavoredSoul)

z929669

3 - I see in the mod page on Nexus this instructions. It's the first time that a mod tell me to do this kind of modification. What is the goal for this? I thought that loose file takes priority to BSA archived files... And why HighResTexturePack03.bsa is not concerned by this modification?

If you are running Skyrim without Mod Organizer, you are correct that loose files always take priority over BSA archive files. Mod Organizer is a bit more intelligent in that it can allow files in a BSA archive to take priority over loose files.

I'm not sure where the instructions you quoted come from and I don't see them in the STEP 2.2.9 instructions (unless this is in an older version of STEP somewhere). With STEP 2.2.9 you should not have HighResTexturePack0*.bsa in the INI files. Instead, you should deactivate HighResTexturePack01.esp, HighResTexturePack02.esp, and HighResTexturePack3.esp in the mod list (the right pane in Mod Organizer). Finally select the Archives tab, check "Have MO manage archives", and check HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, and HighResTexturePack03.bsa. This way the files in BSA archives are more or less treated as loose files and you don't need the dummy esps.

https://wiki.step-project.com/High_Resolution_Texture_Pack#Recommendations

Few commentary & questions about this mod :)

1 - What means NSFW and does the direct download on STEP 2.2.9 page is different than one in Better Males page on Nexus ?

2 - In "underwear default" archive, the folder called 'forsworn' which contain 'forswornboots_x.nif' is wrongly spelled.

It must be spelled forswornarmor !

3 - I see in the mod page on Nexus this instructions. It's the first time that a mod tell me to do this kind of modification. What is the goal for this? I thought that loose file takes priority to BSA archived files... And why HighResTexturePack03.bsa is not concerned by this modification?

1 - Not Safe For Work. The download links are to the nexus files. They are the same.

2 - No, it's correct. It's a fixed mesh for the Forsworn feet.

3 - You can safely ignore this.

I searched all the mods in my mod list (STEP Core+Extended 2.2.9 and REGS) and the only reference I see is in the ForeswornBoots record in Skyrim.esm and it does specify Clothes/ForswornArmor/ForswornBoots_1.nif so this may be an issue with the mod unless I'm missing something. I'll see if I can experiment with this later tonight to see if it makes any difference.

That may be the intention, but I don't see any difference when I rename meshes/clothes/forsworn/forswornboots_*.nif in Better Males to *.nif.old to move them out. From what I'm seeing, I these meshes aren't used in the game and I don't think they should be used as is because if when I rename the forsworn folder to forswornarmor (which is how it is referenced in Skyrim.esm), the game crashes to desktop any time I come near Forsworn Boots.

If you look at forswornboots_0.nif and forswornboots_1.nif in Nifskope, both files are referencing C:/Sky in/textures/armor/forsworn/forswornboots.dds and C:/Sky in/textures/armor/forsworn/forswornboots_n.dds. I'm not mistaken, I think both texture references should be more like textures/armor/forsworn/forswornboots.dds and textures/armor/forsworn/forswornboots_n.dds and I think the bad texture path is causing the crash to desktop with these meshes active.

I did not attempt to "fix" the texture paths in the meshes to find out what would happen. I just took it far enough to more or less find out why these meshes aren't currently being used by the mod.

Could have been a mistake that no one ever picked up on or something the author meant to drop and forgot to delete it from the mod. Either way the author is gone and the mod can be freely used so if we figure this out, STEP will provide a corrected version when we do the optimization for the mod.

• 1 year later...

No, but I've never been that covered in blood either. It looks like you bathed in it! Are you using something on top of STEP or a different option for EBT? Btw, the males should be all Better Males; body and all.

Nope, I used all the recommended options to a tee for EBT, and I have all the necessary things from better males installed, my mistake, I thought it was an XCE body with a geonox face, but I was wrong :P. The only deviations I have from STEP Extended is removing Immersive Skyrim Thunder and adding Climates of Tamriel and True Storms.

EDIT: Btw, this is what happens when you use a battleaxe, it kinda gets everywhere :p

Edited by Tobi

Has anyone else had an issue with a very apparent seam in the neck where XCE's body ends and the Geonox Face begins? It's hard to notice, except when blood gets on my body, has anyone else had this issue?

twhvhSq.jpg

This is a known issue with skyrim - the head and the body are separate meshes and blood decals only overlay over the body mesh so yes you will get a neck seam.

This is a known issue with skyrim - the head and the body are separate meshes and blood decals only overlay over the body mesh so yes you will get a neck seam.

So then there's nothing that can be done? I've never noticed this until recently, but maybe I was just ignoring it the whole time.

• 1 month later...