Skyrim.exe - The Way It Should Have Been by Kahenraz

Kahenraz

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm dropping this from testing and leaving it with DY for a utility pack. That is a good place for people that want an alternative loader. I use this mod and find the alt-tab to be so smooth, but I can see that is a niche type of thing. Others have said that there is no real use for them to use it, so lets it's no longer in testing.

• 3 months later...

At some point this mod was flagged as "under moderation review" on the Nexus because some automated scanning software thinks that it's a virus. For what it's worth, I've been a member of the Nexus community since 2003 back when it was a website devoted to Morrowind and just wanted to share a cool thing I wrote for myself.

I don't know how to get it reposted or who to contact and I have not received any messages about this in e-mail or to my Nexus account.

I'm pretty sure it's been like this for a couple of months, as I haven't checked it in a while. It's unfortunate because the last version added multi-monitor support for video cards which do not support it, which was the crowning feature. Does anyone know who to tap to get this lifted?

Edited by Kahenraz

At some point this mod was flagged as "under moderation review" on the Nexus because some automated scanning software thinks that it's a virus. For what it's worth, I've been a member of the Nexus community since 2003 back when it was a website devoted to Morrowind and just wanted to share a cool thing I wrote for myself.

I don't know how to get it reposted or who to contact and I have not received any messages about this in e-mail or to my Nexus account.

I'm pretty sure it's been like this for a couple of months, as I haven't checked it in a while. It's unfortunate because the last version added multi-monitor support for video cards which do not support it, which was the crowning feature. Does anyone know who to tap to get this lifted?

You are not alone in having software flagged as 'threats' even though they are false-positives.

I have for a number of years used software from a coder called Nir Sofer. Recently his tools too became the targets of over-zealous virus checkers and that has prompted him to revise his web site to reflect this 'problem'.

It is just the climate we all live in now in this internet era.

I would though add my concerns to the way your utility was marketed. IMO using 'Skyrim.exe' in the name was just asking for trouble. Nexus moderators are a notoriously panicky bunch and that would have been the 'red rag to the bull' for them. Additionally, is this truly a necessary tool?

I never lose my cursor when alt-tabbing from Skyrim. Am I just one of the lucky few.

This utility is very useful (I have tested extensively by now) ... I can run Skyrim now and browse the internet at the same time. This was not possible without the app. This is how it is for everyone to more or less degree, depending on user expectations, not on fact ... this should be an issue for anybody running Skyrim under Windows, but some do not notice the problem due to lack of XP with the issue. It is a general issue associated with many 3D games and all Bethesda games.

Sometimes it sort of works and sometimes it does not. With this app, it is seamless and really works the way it should work. Tough to explain it if you are not familiar with the issues.

Agree that calling it "Skyrim.exe" is a barrier, but it also contains code that triggers AV, which only serves to confirm any worry that may be elicited just from the name.

Thank you z.

As I don't have the 'problem', I don't need the 'fix'. Still it is an interesting addition to the tools available.

I really hope the virus-checking algorithms used by most sites around get much better at deciding what is or isn't a threat. All we need now is for MO's 'hook.dll' to be deemed a threat and we're screwed.

I've been running some scans and have tweaked some of the code so that it now passes checks (according to jotti) for the most common virus scanners. All I did was rename some strings, use dynamic linking for the hooks, and not embed the global hook dll into NoLauncher.exe; akin to MO's hook.dll.

FixCursor.exe still has two false positives; one on AntiVir and the other on ClamAV. I'll be sending them an e-mail to hopefully get this fixed.

This new version is ~exactly the same~ as the 1.1.5 with some files renamed and the work done under the hood to keep the virus scanners happy.

I'm linking it here until I can get the last two false positives fixed so I don't have a repeat on the Nexus.

https://codespunk.com/files/upload/SkyWnd_1.1.6-testing.zip

It has "testing" in the name since I do not have Skyrim installed at the moment and, as far as I know, I may have broken something. I would appreciate it if someone with 1.1.5 could compare and make sure that everything works.

The software has been renamed to "SkyWnd: Better Windowed Mode" with the tagline: "Multi-Monitor Support and More" to help promote this feature.

Edited by Kahenraz

I just ran it, and it has bugs with the mouse. It mostly works, but I lost my mouse momentarily when testing with Alt+Enter and Alt+Tab, but then I got it back. When I clicked inside my Skyrim window, the windows mouse changed to the two-headed resize Windows cursor overlaying my Skyrim crosshair. Alt+Tabbing a few times to refocus Skyrim back and forth with the windows mouse cursor reproduced this issue about 50% of the time. The Windows mouse cursor is definitely a little flickery and does not dependably transition. Finally, upon recapturing Skyrim and attempting to quit the game from windowed mode, I lost my cursor totally as Skyrim was closing and could not get it back. The windows mouse cursor was active but invisible. It would pop up on certain parts of my screen, but Windows locked up when I tried to restart using my invisible mouse cursor. Then my session froze and I had to force a restart.

I rebooted from the 'dirty' reset and ran the original version after to be sure I wasn't imagining things (I wasn't). Note also that I did run both instances using their separate resources, and I noticed that the new version has an extra DLL. In other words, I am certain that I installed the correct files into their correct location for both versions without any conflicts (i.e., I did not muck it up ... there is some issue with the latest 'beta').

• 1 year later...