FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script - FISS (by Lord Conti)

statmonster

Discussion thread:

FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script - FISS by Lord Conti

Wiki Link

This is a mod which allows other mods to save data to it for setting MCM settings.  The bane of starting a new game is having to go in and reset all those damned MCM settings.  If the mod author inlcuded this option you can save these as a file that can be read intothe game and save your settings.  So far very few mods have this option (Dynamic Potions - Poisons - Ingredients - Food by egocarib ( does - which is where I saw the link to it) - but when you look at the number of MCM settings that Neo has on his SR-LE guide, the utility of such an extension becomes apparent (well at least to me). https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48265/?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing around a bit with this using A Matter of Time and Dynamic Potions.

It works very well with them, saving my settings from one game and then loading up my presets when I create a new character.

I hope more mod authors with extensive MCM options start using this. (Complete Crafting Overhaul, Convenient Horses, Deadly Dragons, Frostfall, Immersive Armors, Immersive Creatures, OBIS, Realistic Needs...)

I have been playing around a bit with this using A Matter of Time and Dynamic Potions.

It works very well with them, saving my settings from one game and then loading up my presets when I create a new character.

I hope more mod authors with extensive MCM options start using this. (Complete Crafting Overhaul, Convenient Horses, Deadly Dragons, Frostfall, Immersive Armors, Immersive Creatures, OBIS, Realistic Needs...)

Could you tell me how you made it work? 

I can see the preset in Dynamic Potion but I can't save my settings. Could it be because of MO?

No problem with MO. Install both Dynamic Potions and FISS through MO. In game open up Dynamic Potions MCM and set everything the way you want it. Go to the last Dynamic Potions MCM page and Save Preset (or something like that). Then in the future you just go to the last page and Load Preset. I think you have the option to have up to 5 presets which you can name however you would like. (A MAtter of Time only seems to allow one preset as far as I can see). The presets are saved deep in the SKSE subfolder of either MO's Overwrite Folder or in the Mods directory.

Thanks statmonster.

I found the problem. The preset 1 in Dynamic Potion is not empty and so you don't have the option to save only the option to load.

I changed to preset 2 and I could save normally. I guess if I delete preset 1 I should be able to save in it after.

I really hope more mods included this.

Yes.

egocarib indicated that preset1 was mistakenly included with the mod; I used it as the base to start my changes (after renaming it to default) then saved my settings as Statmonster1.

Definitely hope other people start using this - it really makes it easier to set up MCMs when you start a new game, plus it helps remember exactly which settings I like.

Ugh, that's a very short list of mods that use FISS:

- Take Notes - Journal of the Dragonborn

- MinimalHUD

- Spellmaking in Skyrim - The last altar

- Dynamic Potions - Poisons - Ingredients - Food

But, it will catch on, just as MCM has started to do in a big way (finally).

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been using FISS, and I found it useful to save MCM settings for mods that utilize it. When I restarted, it saved me time setting up MCM presets.

Timing Is Everything and Thieves Guild Requirements have FISS settings. Also, the SkyTweak page has optional FISS patches for iHUD, SkyUI, and MoreHUD (currently in STEP testing). This could tie in very well to the MCM recommendations page in development.

It is also just a generally good resource mod to have included if anyone wants to build on STEP with later mods. There is no possibility of conflicts with anything, so no testing is really necessary. I don't see any possible downside to including this in STEP.

I vote for STEP Core on this.