Solving VRAM problems with 560 Ti

TheCompiler

Question

6 answers to this question

+1 on texture optimization.

I use a GTX 460 768MB. After I installed the official Hi-Res DLC, I would get stuttering (disk thrashing) after varying amounts of play time. Switching to post-process anti-aliasing (SMAA or FXAA) and using Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized (Hybrid + Vanilla normal maps) seems to have eliminated this problem. I have not used the "Optimize Textures" program, though.

Being able to play on Ultra (tweaked) using decent anti-aliasing and quality ambient occlusion, with so little VRAM, is wonderful.

I got huge VRAM problems, i tried removing SSAO and AA, but still stuttering happened, even if my FPS were nearly steady on 60.

I already try using all 1024 versions of texture, but still some mods do not offer that options. then i've used the optimizer to reduce all the textures in my folder to 1024: my game now is not only steady 60 fps, but with 0 stuttering, and still looks GORGEOUS.

Obviously, the more texture mods you have, the bigger this problem will be.

I don't use the vast majority of the mods recommended by S.T.E.P. - I seem to prefer a more vanilla experience than most people. Most of the textures in my data folder are for armor mods, and I also have SMIM. So far that hasn't been enough to necessitate running a texture optimizer on my Data folder.

Have you tried using the vanilla normal maps? Whoever came up with that idea deserves a cookie.

I've used SMCO and it worked really well and eliminated some CTDs I was having at about 30 minute mark every time I booted Skyrim. It would be nice to see if there was a way to compare Optimizer Textures and SMCO without having to reinstall everything over and over, even with WB it is still a pain in the butt.