The Pre-optimization files don't match the guides.

Gundammit

Question

I ran the "2_Pre-optimization.bat2" file and it created the new directory files in /working, but folders don't match the guides. In "Vanilla Normal Maps" it doesn't have anything, in "Vanilla Textures" it's missing the STD file and so forth. Also, the .log file after it ran was just blank with nothing in it. 

I'm sorry if this is some simple problem or it's meant to do that, but these kind of things are so damn complex to me.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Did you compare your Vanilla Extracted folder, that you created following the steps in the Vanilla Texture Preparation section, to the file and folder counts in the screenshots of the "Working folder file Screenshot with Repaired Files" figure at the bottom of the page in the Vanilla Texture Preparation tab? They should be the same.

In case it wasn't clear, vanilla texture optimization starts in the "Vanilla Texture Preparation" section and finishes in the "DDSopt Optimization" section.

Creating folders doesn't really help; having it do them automatically allows checking whether the batch file runs properly.

There should not be a "Vanilla Textures" folder at all. There should be a "Vanilla Ordinary Textures" folder. Do you have the most recent version of the batch files? For example, "2_Pre-optimization.bat" should have a modified date of January 13, 2014 and it has 12,184 bytes. There was a previous version of the batch files that used "Vanilla Textures", but it was updated quite a while ago.

Ah I think that's the problem, it's last modified date was August. I downloaded the latest one and ran the HRDLC_Clean start.bat and it came up with a load of errors for missing files:

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\elven\elven - psd.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\glass\f\fworking psd.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\glass\f\glassf dds.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\glass\glass tga.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\glass\glassdds.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\glass\glasspsd.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\glass\shield\shield dds.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\glass\shield\shield psd.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\glass\shield\shield tga.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\steel\steel dds.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\steel\steel psd.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\steel\steel tga.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\armor\thievesguild\m\thievesguildarmorshoesm.dds

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\barkeeper\barkeeper - max.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\barkeeper\barkeeper - nif.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\barkeeper\barkeeper - psd.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\barkeeper\barkeeper - tga.lnk

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\blacksmith\blacksmithfemalebody.dds

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\blacksmith\blacksmithfemalebody_n.dds

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\blacksmith\blacksmithfemalebodyvariant.dds

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\blacksmith\blacksmithmalebody.dds

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\blacksmith\blacksmithmalebody_n.dds

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\blacksmith\blacksmithmalebodyvariant.dds

Could Not Find C:\Users\--\Saved Games\Working\Vanilla Extracted\HRDLC1\textures\clothes\farmclothes02\farmcloth02body1024.dds

Since you already ran an older version of the HRDLC clean batch files, all or almost all the duplicate files are gone. These aren't really errors.

Make sure you delete the folders in "Working" created by the old Pre-optimization batch file; leave "Vanilla Extracted" of course. When you run the Pre-optimization batch file it will recreate all the ones it needs.

Version numbers have been added to the batch files, so the guide will now include the version numbers of the individual batch files. This should help eliminate problems with using outdated batch files. Most of the batch files don't change frequently, but for consistency the version numbers will all change when one of the batch files is updated.

Argh, I ran the up to date pre-optimization in admin and it STILL hasn't created the proper folder directory! There is nothing in the Vanilla Normal Maps folder, it should have dawngaurd, all the texture packs and STD. It's also missing the DLC and STD folders from the Vanilla ordinary textures folder. I'm starting to think this is more trouble than it's worth.

I only did the DDSopt-guide vanilla optimization much later in my modding experience. The difference in quality and vram savigns between this and the method used in SRLE might not be significant enough for you if you have just started out and your system is not overloaded on vram yet. 

There's some debate over which method is better, I personally favor the step method, but Neo's DDSopt instructions are definitely a lot easier to follow though -  especially if you have little experience with DDSopt. Link

Hope this helps.

The method in the DDSopt guide is more selective about which textures are changed, and it has more detailed instructions for those who aren't as familiar with textures and DDSopt and for systems that aren't as capable as those typically used with SR:LE. As mentioned above, the SR:LE instructions are shorter and simpler. The SR:LE approach converts all vanilla textures to compressed versions, the DDSopt guide approach keeps all of the vanilla uncompressed textures as uncompressed ones (better quality).

For many users, the simplified version of the vanilla texture optimization instructions now available in the DDSopt Quick Start guide tab are adequate.

Thanks for the output, it was helpful in understanding the problem. The "robocopy.exe" system program isn't being found by the batch file. Check the c:\windows\system32 directory and see if "robocopy.exe" is there. If it isn't see if you can get it restored, or read the note about robocopy on this page of the DDSopt guide.

If the file is present then try the new batch file version and see if it works for you. The new version of the batch file now includes a test for the presence of robocopy, and uses full path names for it (vs. assuming that the path to it is in the normal windows PATH variable)

Well, this topic quite fits my problem.

1) File structure is fine, folder and file amount too, is on D:/Working...

2) up to 2_Pre-optimization_2.64.bat everything works as intended.

then I ran the .bat (ofc admin) and cmd did this:

The system says the Working Directory is   D:\Working

This directory should include the "Vanilla Extracted" directory

If any of the above is incorrect terminate the processing and fix the problem

Press any key to continue . . .

D:\Working>rem copy the PNG files from Skyrim - textures to the Vanilla Optimize

d directory

D:\Working>IF EXIST "D:\Working\Vanilla Extracted\STD" robocopy "D:\Working\Vani

lla Extracted\STD" "D:\Working\Vanilla Optimized\STD" *.png /s /nfl /ndl /njh /n

js /ns /nc /np  1>>log.txt

D:\Working>rem copy some compressed, smooth normal maps to Vanilla Optimized to

avoid optimizing them as the optimization exarbates some  vanilla artifacts

D:\Working>IF EXIST "D:\Working\Vanilla Extracted\STD" robocopy "D:\Working\Vani

lla Extracted\STD" "D:\Working\Vanilla Optimized\STD" coastbeach0?_n.dds dirt0?_

n.dds dirtpath0?_n.dds dirtsnowpath0?_n.dds snow0?_n.dds tundra0?_n.dds /s /nfl

/ndl /njh /njs /ns /nc /np  1>>log.txt

D:\Working>rem Copy texture files (from folders other than the HRDLC) to "Vanill

a Ordinary Textures", excluding any normal map textures

D:\Working>robocopy "D:\Working\Vanilla Extracted" "D:\Working\Vanilla Ordinary

Textures" *.dds /s  /xd HRDLC1 HRDLC2 HRDLC3 /xf  *_n.dds /nfl /ndl /njh /njs /n

s /nc /np  1>>log.txt

D:\Working>rem Copy small and medium size normal map textures from folders other

than the 3 HRDLC to "Vanilla Ordinary Textures"

D:\Working>rem excluding the compressed smooth vanilla normal maps copied previo

usly

D:\Working>robocopy "D:\Working\Vanilla Extracted" "D:\Working\Vanilla Ordinary

Textures" *_n.dds /s /max:2999999 /xd HRDLC1 HRDLC2 HRDLC3 /xf coastbeach0?_n.dd

s dirt0?_n.dds dirtpath0?_n.dds dirtsnowpath0?_n.dds snow0?_n.dds tundra0?_n.dds

/nfl /ndl /njh /njs /ns /nc /np  1>>log.txt

I get the output in the Working-Tree as intended except for the Vanilla Normal Maps folder which remains empty.

My own troubleshooting:

1) checked spelling errors, all fine

2) re-extracted all but HRDLC files (since that went fine) and ran 2_Pre-optimization_2.64.bat again, didn't work.

3) deleted full Working folder, extracted all .bsa's according guide again, ran first 2 steps and same again.

Noticed: the Working folder and all subs are on read-only after running .bat, the cmd does not show me at all, what the guide suggests it should. (Didn't either at 1_HRDLC_Clean-START_2.64.bat for that matter but worked, obviously) log.txt contains no blank lines at all and shows no errors, either. Hearthfires is actually HearthFires if i check the .bsa but i do not think that 'F' is a problem o.o

So, what's up with my normal maps? Has Paarthunax had a coughing fit and blasted them accidentally? =)

Well, this topic quite fits my problem.

1) File structure is fine, folder and file amount too, is on D:/Working...

2) up to 2_Pre-optimization_2.64.bat everything works as intended.

then I ran the .bat (ofc admin) and cmd did this:

I get the output in the Working-Tree as intended except for the Vanilla Normal Maps folder which remains empty.

My own troubleshooting:

1) checked spelling errors, all fine

2) re-extracted all but HRDLC files (since that went fine) and ran 2_Pre-optimization_2.64.bat again, didn't work.

3) deleted full Working folder, extracted all .bsa's according guide again, ran first 2 steps and same again.

Noticed: the Working folder and all subs are on read-only after running .bat

A lot of my folders say read only. It seems to be a Windows system thing

, the cmd does not show me at all,

I don't understand this comment. What is "cmd". Do you mean the command window?

what the guide suggests it should. (Didn't either at 1_HRDLC_Clean-START_2.64.bat for that matter but worked, obviously)

log.txt contains no blank lines at all and shows no errors, either.

Did you check this with Notepad++? some editors don't show end of line properly

Hearthfires is actually HearthFires if i check the .bsa but i do not think that 'F' is a problem o.o

If you look at the Bethesda site it is shown as Hearthfire

So, what's up with my normal maps? Has Paarthunax had a coughing fit and blasted them accidentally? =)

In the Vanilla Normal Maps folder are there any subfolders (empty or not)? There should be 5.

Thank you for your answer =)

Yes, cmd = command window which opens if running that .bat, the Normal Maps Folder remained empty. I do use Notepad++, and Bethesda can't obviously decide how to name their Hearthfire.

At the end, after trying again, I figured out what the problem was. Perhaps it is a good idea to add to your guide (for impatient ppl and cupcakes like myself...:rolleyes: ), that processing those bat-files could take more than 30 minutes if rare (i suspect). It is mentioned in the guide and the readme, it could take a while for the .bat to be executed on non-ssd harddrives. I plainly closed the cmd window too early for the .bat to finish it's work in the first attempts (giving roughly 15 minutes time before doing so, though). The successful attempt showed 32.41 minutes on the timer. Surprised me a bit, even if non-ssd, the harddrive I used is a 7200rpm, shouldn't take that long. Perhaps, running a defrag before doing this helps with speed, i will test that.

However, thank you for your time!