STEP v2.2.8 Release

z929669

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing?.. Wait... you can actually play?!!  :woot:

Yeah, I never knew until recently, when I just kept testing my new mod set up. I tested and tested and tested and I just noticed that this is actually fun and that my character is progressing their skills, levelling up, doing quests, being drawn into the stories that people tell etc... I looked it up on google, and it turns out this is actually PLAYING the game! Amazing! 

• 1 month later...

Hello all, new to the forum and new to STEP.  I've been installing the core mods, making some good progress.  However, there are a few things I'd like to comment on.  First I absolutely detest MO.  I had it installed and tried to wrap my brain around it and after a week it was uninstalled.  I have started using Wrye Bash on the advice of someone that has become a dear friend and it's much superior IMHO.  Perhaps there could be Wrye instructions along with the MO instructions for those that don't want to use MO? Just a thought.

Also, do I have to install all of the mods listed or can I vary from time to time.  The mods you've all compiled and have listed don't always appeal to me and there are others I would rather use.  Is there a way to integrate the mods I want to use into the list you've all compiled? Or is STEP a fully modded game using only those mods listed? 

Like I said, I'm brand new, so please be gentle.  I'm trying to understand exactly what STEP is.  The setup is very good initially, the ini tweaks really help.  There are so many "tweaks" out there and not all of them are good.  I appreciate what I've learned so far, but I'm trying to define, in my lil brain, just what STEP is and what it encompasses.

Thanks for all you do, this is truly a major undertaking and it's quite amazing.  What a great group of folks you all are!  Good job!

Have a great day! Ciao! :)

Use any other mods you like and skip the ones you don't want. The only drawback is that the STEP Patches do not work without the whole list. Instead you need to use the plugins listed on the STEP Patches wiki page so you do not miss out of compatibility of those mods.

If you add in other mods, it is good practice to keep them in the same sections that we've laid out in the guide and wrye bash allows you to move mods around in install order from the installers tab. So, if you have some landscape mod, put it with the other landscape mods in section 2.G or if you have a gameplay mod then stick it in with section 2.M.

We used to have WB instructions, but we switched to MO because it has to many powerful features that we need to test and develop STEP, but using WB is fine if you understand how to use it. There are some instructions for things like creating a Bashed Patch, and we still have a WB guide on our wiki so users can learn about its features, here.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!  I'm so relieved to know I don't have to follow STEP exclusively and can add in the mods I like and wish to use.  I'll take your advice and use the same sections you've laid out.  That's actually one of the things I truly liked about STEP, makes it much easier to see what is installed when deciding on other mods.

I've read the WB Wiki Guide, have it bookmarked and refer to it often.  Thank you so much for that guide, it truly does help.  Not sure if you know how much :yes:

Thanks again for the quick reply and now, I'm off to continue to build my game!  :dance:

Ciao! :heart:

Archived