How to remove mod master dependendy?

Rechet

Question

How do you properly remove a mod dependency from a patch plugin?

In my specific case, I noticed that the new 2.2.8 STEP Extended patch lists Ars Metallica.esp as one of its masters. However, what I can see in Tes5edit, it doesn't really patch anything related to AM, just copies over one world space edit (Dawnguard sanctuary). Neither is AM listed as something it should adress in any way. Since I replaced AM with Complete Crafting Overhaul in my install, the patch won't work for me. :(

I can solve this by installing Ars Metallica and manually emptying its .esp and removing its other installed files, leaving nothing but a dummy .esp to satisfy the dependency issue. But how would I actually remove the master dependency?

8 answers to this question

Generally speaking then the process is this. As I understand it then it is not applicable to the specific issue though.

Open tes5edit.

Remove all the entries that create the dependency.

Open up the file header and remove the master requirement from the list.

Do make sure you get all the dependent records though or you will get a crash regardless.

Open tes5edit.

Do make sure you get all the dependent records though or you will get a crash regardless.

This will break the dragonborn tern fix I built into the patch. Only remove the crafting feathers from the record that are from ars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what I do:

Copy one of the tiny dummy esps renamed to be the mod you want to remove. You can also just load up the old esp with everything in it and just remove all of its records -- just don't save that particular ESP when you're done

Open them all up in TES5Edit

Perform a "Check for Errors" - It'll list all the records that are now broken

Resolve the error how you see fit (maybe there's no conflicts for that record anymore, in which case it can just be removed)

When all errors are resolved, use "Clean Masters" and it will remove the dependency for you

• +1 1

Open tes5edit.

This will break the dragonborn tern fix I built into the patch. Only remove the crafting feathers from the record that are from ars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For future reference: I just removed the VMAD part of DLC2fcTernGo (FormID 0503CD8D) from the STEP extended patch, right clicked on it and selected "Clean Masters". Took a while to find, but now I have custom version for my install.

Thanks for the quick help! :)

To clarify for others landing here with this issue:

TES5Edit will properly remove a master file reference from a mods file header if the mod has no reference to that master file.

For me this problem is usually related to a mod having been deleted or a record in the master file being removed leaving another mod with a bad reference.

In the case of a mod being deleted and another mod still depending on the deleted file TES5Edit will not even load to allow you to fix it.

I use WryeBash to create a dummy mod that will allow TES5Edit to then load. The mod with the missing master appears in WryeBash with a red checkmark. Right-click it and select "Create Dummy Masters..." from the "Files" heading. Be sure to then move the created dummy mod above the mod missing that master file and load TES5Edit.

Right-click on the mods filename in TES5Edit and select the "clean masters" option. Then exit and save TES5Edit without any edits to that file.

If you manually remove the reference from within the file header all other references in your mod to any other master files will lose their references.

There are likely other methods to accomplish this but this is what works for me - hope it helps someone else!

To clarify for others landing here with this issue:

TES5Edit will properly remove a master file reference from a mods file header if the mod has no reference to that master file.

For me this problem is usually related to a mod having been deleted or a record in the master file being removed leaving another mod with a bad reference.

In the case of a mod being deleted and another mod still depending on the deleted file TES5Edit will not even load to allow you to fix it.

I use WryeBash to create a dummy mod that will allow TES5Edit to then load. The mod with the missing master appears in WryeBash with a red checkmark. Right-click it and select "Create Dummy Masters..." from the "Files" heading. Be sure to then move the created dummy mod above the mod missing that master file and load TES5Edit.

Right-click on the mods filename in TES5Edit and select the "clean masters" option. Then exit and save TES5Edit without any edits to that file.

If you manually remove the reference from within the file header all other references in your mod to any other master files will lose their references.

There are likely other methods to accomplish this but this is what works for me - hope it helps someone else!

Many thanks QueueTeePie, this little trick helped me immensely.   I thought I was going to have to rebuild an entire SR LE conflict resolution patch because I removed a mod, and this let me remove that mod as a master, saving me from the long process of rebuilding the whole patch. Not only did it solve my problem, but it was so easy to do.  AWESOME.....thanks again.

Edited by Bundy714