A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

I'm a big fan of SRLE and will be following close SRLE: Explorer's edition.

Waiting for Frostfall 3.0 release and see how Last Seed will turn out to start a new game.

Thank you Nearox for taking the time to start this awesome addition to SRLE.

Edited by edynacio

# 1 & 2 & 3:

- I am personally not a big fan of mixing up various author's styles... The game is just going to look too inconsistent in many areas, in my opinion.

- I generally prefer JKs over ETaC, although ETaC has better compatiblity with some other mods.

- Dawn of Skyrim has a compatiblity problem with Holidays, according to author (haven't personally tested this):

- Athrmoor's Town mods don't really do enough to change the smallness of some of the towns...

Well that might be true, but as I recall CJ also made a ton of improvements and fixes to Nernie's... Personally I'd only trust the REGS version to function properly.

Either way, I'm beginning to make a pack page for it. I am going to build it from the ground up, starting with the more comprehensive and easier compatible mods (such as Interesting NPCs, new worldspaces) first. By the end of the month more should be clear about the mods to be used for vanilla cities. My focus is going to be on maximum compatibility with SRLE, as that is the only setup I use. I'll share the link with you guys soon once I have made a decent start, so you can comment and give some tips, they are veyr welcome as always :)

Hi Nearox,

As darkside has mentioned, this is the setup I am using for compatibility with IC.

Unfortunately mixing up various styles is unavoidable unless one wants to remain vanilla in most cities/villages.

Has been using JKs (major cities only) for ages but I have to admit that it has been proven to be quite a performance beast with unnecessary navmesh edits although I like it and still miss it. Dawn of Skyrim was the way to go for compatibility with IC. Ofc, when/if JKs Lite comes out I will be more than happy to test it and re-structure my mod list at that time.

Dawn of Skyrim does not indeed play well with Holidays...but darkside forgot to mention that I am not using Holidays (and some other mods from both REGS & SR:LE::):

Also Athmoor's village mods are indeed a way-off in design from JKs, ETaC etc....but they are and they will always be (by design) compatible with IC. Plus they do not hurt performance at all. Some incompatibility with BFT but you can easily deactivate the carts for Darkwater Crossing and Kynesgrove.

Lastly, I know that CJ had made a ton of improvements and fixes to Nernies and that he also has said that he believes to be compatible with IC. But unfortunately it isn't, especially for the exteriors of Solitude. There are a lot of NPC's pathing problem, walking hiccups, etc. Less minor problems (a lot less actually) in Windhlem, but to be honest I was too bored to get rid only of the Solitude records, so I ditched Nernies-REGS version all together.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks!  ::):

• +1 1

Hi Nearox,

As darkside has mentioned, this is the setup I am using for compatibility with IC.

Unfortunately mixing up various styles is unavoidable unless one wants to remain vanilla in most cities/villages.

Has been using JKs (major cities only) for ages but I have to admit that it has been proven to be quite a performance beast with unnecessary navmesh edits although I like it and still miss it. Dawn of Skyrim was the way to go for compatibility with IC. Ofc, when/if JKs Lite comes out I will be more than happy to test it and re-structure my mod list at that time.

Dawn of Skyrim does not indeed play well with Holidays...but darkside forgot to mention that I am not using Holidays (and some other mods from both REGS & SR:LE::):

Also Athmoor's village mods are indeed a way-off in design from JKs, ETaC etc....but they are and they will always be (by design) compatible with IC. Plus they do not hurt performance at all. Some incompatibility with BFT but you can easily deactivate the carts for Darkwater Crossing and Kynesgrove.

Lastly, I know that CJ had made a ton of improvements and fixes to Nernies and that he also has said that he believes to be compatible with IC. But unfortunately it isn't, especially for the exteriors of Solitude. There are a lot of NPC's pathing problem, walking hiccups, etc. Less minor problems (a lot less actually) in Windhlem, but to be honest I was too bored to get rid only of the Solitude records, so I ditched Nernies-REGS version all together.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks!  ::):

Thanks man. I should have copied your PM :woot:  

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the "Special Instructions" page.

Under CONFLICT RESOLUTION are we supposed to do something with all that information or are all of those things included in the patch?

It just seems really complicated for my small brain lol

Oh and can i use RLO (Realistic Lighting Overhaul) instead of ELnFX?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a patch for ETaC and Realistic Boat Bobbing? They both add boats to the same places causing them to overlap each other, In Morthal for example. 

There is a pic there attached to show what I mean.

I have installed the patches for REGS and really dont know what to check next other than 'Initially disable' them in ETaC in TES5Edit.

Thanks

EDIT - The file was too big to upload, and I have no idea how to compress an 8mb image sorry :/

Edited by Jakob6174

I have a question about the "Special Instructions" page.

Under CONFLICT RESOLUTION are we supposed to do something with all that information or are all of those things included in the patch?

It just seems really complicated for my small brain lol

Oh and can i use RLO (Realistic Lighting Overhaul) instead of ELnFX?

Watch this video and it shows what to do quite simply

as long as you 'Copy as Override' into a new esp that you make you can't really mess it up. 

OR

If you have followed the SR:LE guide and the REGS Guide closely then just download it from here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47858159/REGS%20-%20SRLE%20Patch.7z

I personally wouldn't use RLO instead as it isn't as widely supported as ELnFX, but yeah sure go ahead but I imagine some places won't be covered or Patched for RLO

I didn't even use Vividian ENB with my load order and instead opted for Purity without ENB's and havent had any problems.

Edited by Jakob6174

Just added REGS to STEP Extended (fresh installation). In case it may help, I've also installed Legacy of the Dragonborn (should only affect wilderness and Solitude), CWO (not started yet) and Inhabitants of Skyrim (should only change the look of Vanilla NPCs), Alternate Start aswell as Requiem (as far as I know doesn't change cities aswell).

However, my problem are floating items that I first noticed when entering Riverwood. It looks like old stuff wasn't replaced but literally overwritten, now the door of the cow cattle near the inn comes out of a stone wall, a shield is floating above the place where the old south entrance was, same with a torch and some other minor items.

I've had this problem in the past (a year ago when I last used STEP+REGS) and somehow found a solution back then, unfortunately now I'm unable to fix things. Probably its a very minor thing and I'd be very glad if you could help me. Is it a small patch I've missed? A load order thing?

/edit

Did a test run and stumbled upon heavy clipping at the docks of Dawnstar too. Riverwood stuff still present. Took screenshots of both. As the max filesize is restricted to 10.05KB I've uploaded them on abload.de.

There must be someone who has already experienced this. Thanks in advance!

Edited by elwaps

Just added REGS to STEP Extended (fresh installation). In case it may help, I've also installed Legacy of the Dragonborn (should only affect wilderness and Solitude), CWO (not started yet) and Inhabitants of Skyrim (should only change the look of Vanilla NPCs), Alternate Start aswell as Requiem (as far as I know doesn't change cities aswell).

However, my problem are floating items that I first noticed when entering Riverwood. It looks like old stuff wasn't replaced but literally overwritten, now the door of the cow cattle near the inn comes out of a stone wall, a shield is floating above the place where the old south entrance was, same with a torch and some other minor items.

I've had this problem in the past (a year ago when I last used STEP+REGS) and somehow found a solution back then, unfortunately now I'm unable to fix things. Probably its a very minor thing and I'd be very glad if you could help me. Is it a small patch I've missed? A load order thing?

/edit

Did a test run and stumbled upon heavy clipping at the docks of Dawnstar too. Riverwood stuff still present. Took screenshots of both. As the max filesize is restricted to 10.05KB I've uploaded them on abload.de.

There must be someone who has already experienced this. Thanks in advance!

Check the reference ID. You may find culprit mods. I suspect CWO or Legacy of Dragonborn. 

• +1 1

@darkside

Thank you. I know that I can get the reference ID by clicking on stuff with the console open ingame. How can I check afterwards which mod it belongs to? Loading everything in TES5Edit I assume - and then?

@TirigonX

This may actually be possible. My esp is named "JKs Skyrim.esp". I assume the esp of "Major Cities" would be named differently. Unfortunately I can't check at the moment as Nexus is on maintenance. REGS recommends the "Major Cities" version too, I've probably made a mistake there I guess.

I've to re-do all the patches (including 1 hour DynDOLOD) anyway in order to deactivate SkyTEST as I guess the freeze I've recently experienced was script overload related (CWO, Lanterns, SexLab, BeeingFemale, Immersive Creatures/Patrols,...) and SkyTEST seems to be a script monster.

By the way, I got another bug. I'm using Skyrim Bigger Trees (probably switching to the Lite version then as some trees visually appear to be bigger than mountains) and especially when travelling in the Riften area the change from LOD to 3D trees seems to happen VERY late and therefore looks ugly. I often get fragments like seen in the screenshot below (unfortunately got no shot of the trees but look at the island in the background). Any idea why this happens? Incompatibility between Bigger Trees and DynDOLOD?

While I'm at it - is there a better looking alternative to Bigger Trees?

2015-11-14_00020t7uz7.jpg

Regarding tree popping...if you haven't looked at DoubleYou's Tree Settings guide yet, you should.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_Tree_Settings

Also, more generally, the Skyrim Configuration Settings guide is a must read (read this before Tree Settings Guide).

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_Configuration_Settings

Regarding the mod end of things...someone with more knowledge than I will have to respond. :)

Cheers,

Nebulous

• +1 1

Thanks again guys.

As for the tree popping, I don't have "classical" popping, popping (out of nowhere) actually disappeared since I'm using DynDOLOD. Instead I'm having trees popping to life from their flat LOD (?) picture way too near to my character. Speaking of ~40-100m/130-330ft.

However, I'm gonna backup my inis, read the settings guide aswell as the tree settings guide and modify accordingly, check the object ID and identify the mod, check if I got the right version of JK and remove SkyTEST and then, hopefully successfully "recomplile" my patches, which will take me an hour. And THEN see if I/you were right. :D

/edit

Major thumbs up for TirigonX for guessing the problem right and for darkside for showing me the method. Actually you don't have to use TES5Edit (anymore?) as when clicking something with the console open, the actual esp/esm sources of the object (in this case JK's Skyrim) are displayed. And indeed, ALL of the clipping objects were coming from JK's Skyrim. Exchanging it for the cities version will be the first thing to do for me. :)

/edit2

- JKs Skyrim replaced with JKs Skyrim Major Cities Only

- Applied Skyrim Settings Guide (only the usage of CPU 12 cores and a tree option was missing)

- Applied Skyrim Tree Settings Guide (only the far view/LOD stuff was missing, potentially fixing my popping problem)

- uGridsToLoad set to 7 and iGrassCellRadios set to 3, testing

- Replaced Skyrim Bigger Trees with the Lite version but 4096 instead of 2048 LODs, will probably be pointless anyway because of DynDOLOD but just in case...

- Removed SkyTEST, hoping to resolve the hopefully script related freeze

- Moved Immersive First Person View after the SexLab stuff as it was perhaps SL that bugged my view once leaving 1st person for the first time

- LOOT done

- DynDOLOD replaced by unmodified version, deleted LODs

- Bashed Patch done

- DSR Patch done

- Requiem Patch done

- waiting for DynDOLOD... ~1 hour remaining... ^^

Two questions:

How can I disable the zooming/switching perspectives via mouse wheel entirely? I want to play the entire game in (immersive) 1st person and also have the clipping bug when going to 3rd person with Immersive First Person View.

How can I fix this bug to be able to use 3rd person via button from time to time without harm? When I start a game, it starts in modded 1st person and everything is perfect. Once I change to 3rd even once and then go back to 1st, the view is bugged and I'm clipping inside myself which can't be fixed anymore. :/

Edited by elwaps