Mod Organizer Guide

frihyland

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Installing

A suggestion for updating the MO guide, as well as the main STEP guide:

Expand on merge vs. replace vs. rename.

Perhaps a simple recommendation on what to do with optional or miscellaneous files for the main Skyrim STEP guide (whether to merge or re-name optionals to keep them as separate files). I would suggest another blue box with the MO symbol, with the recommendation between the "Mod Tables Legend" and "STEP 1".

A more detailed explanation of the differences could be put in the MO guide. (That replace should be used to update mod versions unless it is a hotfix, etc.)

Currently, the only information I could find in the various guides on the wiki (main STEP guide, MO guide and Advanced MO guide) is a warning in the MO guide about uninstalling merged mods.

I feel that having a recommendation on what to do with optional (or multiple files for the same mod) from the STEP team would be quite beneficial for users.

As an aside, what do you guys do with optional files, or multiple files for the same mod? Merge, or re-name?

I have always merged them, but recently I've read about those that always re-name them to preserve separate files for all downloads.

Huh. Not sure how I missed that. It's all bold and in a neat little boxed window.

Again, I am reminded that STEP > me.

Edit: Regardless of my inherent stupidity, I'm still wondering if anyone really uses the rename feature or not.

Edited by Nebulous112

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay I've been trying to get Skyproc patchers to work with Mod Organizer. I tried both 32 and 64 bit Java. And I tried right clicking on it in the Data tab and using the Open/Execute as well as the Add as Executable options. I even tried running it from the folder itself. The only way I could get it to work was when I manually copied the files to the actual Skyrim data folder. This is the error I would recieve. ================================ skyproc.exceptions.MissingMaster: DualSheath Redux.esp has some missing masters: -Skyrim.esm -Update.esm Please activate and try again. ================================= While it would work if I just did a manual install I wanted to keep all my mods in the virtual directory that Mod Organizer uses. That way it keeps my Skyrim folder structure clean. So here is the fix/work around for those interested in getting skyproc patches to work. Use a Symlink I also recommend using SUM Skyproc manager to merge all your skyproc mod installs into. Even if you're only using one skyproc mod, that way if you decide to add another or remove one it makes for easier management. https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/29865 Open a command prompt and type the following assuming you use default installation paths. Otherwise adjust for your locations. ================================== mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\ModOrganizer\mods\SUM - SkyProc Unified Manager\Skyrim.esm" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\Skyrim.esm" mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\ModOrganizer\mods\SUM - SkyProc Unified Manager\Update.esm" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\Update.esm" ================================== You can then add the SUM.jar file to your Mod Organizer applications list like normal and it should work. And don't forget anytime you add,remove,update, shuffle mod order you have to rerun your skyproc patches. I hope this helps some of you.

Yeah, thread necro, sorry. But I had to say THANK YOU for this fix.

• 2 months later...

Well, I appreciate the apparent fact that you believe that I asked my question in the incorrect forum, rather than just delete it or move it, would someone please tell me where the heck you put it so that if someone knowledgeable CAN answer my question, I may see the answer?  Thank you.  Allen

Based on the recent discussion in the BSA Management off yet a BSA is taking priority over loose files topic, this section of the Mod Organizer guide is either incorrect or misleading.

If a mod contains assets in a BSA file, it will appear in the Archives tab under the mod's name. BSAs may also be unpacked in this tab by right-clicking the BSA and selecting Extract... This will extract the BSA's contents to any folder you choose. When Have MO manage archives is checked in the Archives tab, all BSAs are treated exactly as if they were loose files. That means their priority depends solely on the mod priority order and not the plugin priority order (load order). Additionally, checking a BSA in this mode allows the BSA's assets to be loaded without the need for a dummy plugin. MO's BSA management may be turned off by unticking the Have MO manage BSAs option. If you decide to do this, please note that you will have to load BSAs through dummy plugins. The game's built-in BSA versus loose files rules will apply, and BSAs will be loaded in plugin load order.

I suggest rewriting this as follows:

If a mod contains assets in a BSA file, it appears in the Archives tab under the mod's name. BSAs may also be unpacked in this tab by right-clicking the BSA and selecting Extract... This extracts the BSA's contents to any folder you choose. BSAs are treated exactly as if they are loose files. This means their priority depends solely on the mod priority order and not the plugin priority order (load order). Additionally, checking Have MO manage archives and checking a BSA allows the BSA's assets to load without the need for a dummy plugin. MO's BSA management may be turned off by unticking the Have MO management BSAs option. If you do this, please note that you must load BSAs through dummy plugins.

Is V2 making any changes to the textures preview window? I put a feature request on GitHub a while back to add a 'Use this texture' button allowing users to specify specific textures to use, overwriting the mod order priority for that specific texture rather than having to hide the same textures in any number of higher priority mods.

Based on the recent discussion in the BSA Management off yet a BSA is taking priority over loose files topic, this section of the Mod Organizer guide is either incorrect or misleading.

I actually raised that point with @Tannin in the issue on GitHub and was told that he is fine with the way the documentation is currently worded and since he has the last word on it... well his call.

Since the only clause that is being removed in your edit is: 

When Have MO manage archives is checked in the Archives tab, all 

The actual substance of the instruction remains the same, ie. BSAs are handled by MO as a file, not a container. That's why I added the notice under the 'FreeCommander' section that files contained inside BSAs are not shown, as is the expectation upon first reading of that tool's use.

I also removed the last sentence, which seems to get at the root of the issue:

The game's built-in BSA versus loose files rules will apply, and BSAs will be loaded in plugin load order.

The BSAs may be loaded in plugin load order, but it doesn't appear the game's built-in BSA versus loose files rule applies. In any case, I'll drop it and move on.

EDIT: I think you and DoubleYou explain it well. This is a minor issue and Mod Organizer 2 is just around the corner.

• 3 years later...

Is it possible to print a copy of the left column. of MO?

You mod list is stored in your modlist.txt document. This is found within your profile folder. If MO is used for instances, it'll be in AppData. If portable, it'll be wherever MO is installed.