Freeze/ILS and Messed up Soulcairn

DoYouEvenModBro

Question

I made sure to make the memory tweaks that are recommended on Skyrim Revisited: Legendary. I made an skse folder with skse.ini text document in MO. After that, I made one in my REAL skyrim folder too. I'm still getting ILS/Freezes now. 

Also, it sometimes gives me an error about Windows running out of RAM? I have 8 gb of ram. I know my windows is fine.

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My Samsung SSD 840 Evo came with a utility that provided an option to turn off the pagefile as an integral option for one of the presets. If it would be that harmful, then why would they include this in there?

For professionals that actually know what they need. This doesn't apply to around 99.99% of users and will almost certainly mess up applications that are resource heavy if they need the OS to move pages to disk.

Sent from a carrier pigeon. You probably should wash your car now too.

Sorry that this is a bit late to be helpful - but for future information:

After extensive research on the topic, including aritcles / posts by people who work for Microsoft, I found that in Windows 7, your pagefile only gets used if your total memory commit charge limit value exceeds your physical RAM value.

The total commit charge is your physical RAM + your maximum pagefile size, and is basically the maximum memory space that you are allowing Windows to use. Utilities such as Process Explorer or it's cousin Process Hacker (highly recommended) allow you to check on your current commit charge (the memory Windows + all your apps, etc. are currently using,) and your peak commit charge (the maximum memory that has been used since you logged in.)

It's important to note that in x86 (32-bit) your physical RAM addressing is capped at 4GB, so you rally only have an opportunity to save space (and supposedly wear) on your SSD if you're running x64 (64-bit).

From this explanation, it's easy to believe that if your peak commit charge never exceeds your available RAM, then you can just turn off your pagefile.

Wrong. This article, despite being written in 2009, is still very true of Windows 7 even now. It explains that turning off your pagefile can cause Windows to suddenly run out of memory if you have enough applications running to use up all your RAM, but more importantly quite a few utilities and applications are built with the assumption that Windows is using a pagefile as part of it's Virtual Memory management, and won't work with the pagefile turned off.

A lot of information in that article about the relationship between RAM & the pagefile comes from blog articles by Mark Russinivich, who is the author of the awsome Sysinternals Tools (including VMMap, which sheson used when discovering the Skyrim Memory Patch 3.0).

After reading through all of Mark's articles on the subject, I found out that as long as you can guarantee your total commit value won't exceed physical RAM, then you can set the pagefile to something quite small, like 64MB - but you also need to turn off the Windows crashdump feature, which is actually a good idea for an SSD, because they are huge, and can eat up drive space very quickly.

I have used a custom pagefile setting with an Initial size of 64MB and Maximum of 512MB for over two years now, ever since I upgraded my RAM to 16GB. I upgraded to 32GB of RAM last November, and in all two years I have NEVER seen my pagefile get any larger than the initial 64MB.

So, DoYouEvenModBro, if you've got 8GB and are running 64-bit, then I'd suggest monitoring your peak commit charge when playing Skyrim for a few sessions, and if it doesn't come close to 8GB, then consider setting your pagefile to be smaller, as I've done.

I hope that helps to explain things a bit better and put a final nail in the coffin of the turn off your pagefile tweak.

All I know is that I did the following three things to fix my windows memory error

1.) Turned PageFile size back to System Managed (default)

2.) Added back Safety Load v1.1 (worked for me in the past)

3.) Fixed the ENBLocal.ini settings as per essarrbee and torminator's suggestions.

One or more of those suggestions got rid of the Windows 7 memory error while playing Skyrim. I'm almost positive that it was putting the page file back to normal. Messing with the page file has ALWAYS given me some sort of problems. I'm just going to leave it alone and never touch it again. It was a big deal when I had a small 120 gb SSD but upgrading to a 256 GB ssd, the page file space isn't too big of an issue anymore.

Utilities such as Process Explorer 

:O I didn't realize there was a new version with an immensily useful feature!

What's New (January 29, 2014)

Process Explorer v16.0

Thanks to collaboration with the team at VirusTotal, this Process Explorer update introduces integration with VirusTotal.com, an online antivirus analysis service. When enabled, Process Explorer sends the hashes of images and files shown in the process and DLL views to VirusTotal and if they have been previously scanned, reports how many antivirus engines identified them as possibly malicious. Hyperlinked results take you to VirusTotal.com report pages and you can even submit files for scanning.

Try turning off safety load and see whether it still works. Or don't. Your choice :D

Maybe next week. I just want to actually play the game, haha. I lost like 3 hours of gameplay on the Dawnguard questline when I had to reformat my computer so once I get my game back to where I was with no visible messups (DAMN FLOATING GRASS), I'll see if Safety Load actually works or not.