Autoremove all post-injected

NodusCursorius

Question

"Sent from my $devicename Tapatalk"

I humbly ask that a MyBB module, forum policy, or php-by-hand-hack removes this specific content that is conversation noise. It is essentially a signature and advertisement that steps outside of policy.

Reason 1: "All rules and guidelines for the forums also apply to signatures. This means keep it Safe-For-Work, no adverts, etc."

Reason 2: "Once you've made your query, comment or request, don't keep repeating it. Sometimes you won't get the response you hope for, but  constant repetition is a form of spamming , and won't be appreciated by the community."

Reason 3: It is a repeating signature that can spread across multiple posts, in multiple accounts, and can not be ignored or disabled by the control panel's ability to ignore post signatures.

The seemingly trivial and selfish nature of this request is self-acknowledged, but that doesn't change the repetitive nature of the advertisements.

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I actually like to see those messages (in shortened form though ... "Sent from my mobile device.")

This helps us to know why someone would be contributing brief blurb to a conversation with what might otherwise seem like a callous and offhand remark. This kind of message is an added qualifier that the person is commenting under limited capacity.

Creating a reg exp to deal with all of the variations would also be difficult, and almost certainly, some would get through. perhaps it is better to ask people that their mobile sigs be generic and very brief. ... changing mine now ;)

This helps us to know why someone would be contributing brief blurb to a conversation with what might otherwise seem like a callous and offhand remark. This kind of message is an added qualifier that the person is commenting under limited capacity.

Should we encourage commentary that seems callous and offhanded? A diminished amount of communication should not diminish the value of the communicated content.

Secondarily, I feel it is disingenuous to treat it as a qualifier for shortened messages when it seems they are capable of communicating across multiple threads and varying levels of detail. A second perspective example would equate the qualifier as "I am at my PC, and thus my responses are well thought out and grammatically accurate".

I feel there is merit behind stating "I'm not at my computer right now, so I can only provide a short answer:" when it is actually true, instead of a different statement that qualifies it but may or may not be true.

Again, this is a trivial matter that may seem as if I'm blowing it completely out of proportion. Blame it on habit; I would never ask for change out of someone without giving them the respect of reason and detail they deserve. I sincerely appreciate everyone talking the time to discuss this and share their opinions. Conflict is certainly not my goal and promise each of you my best effort at remaining open minded.

perhaps it is better to ask people that their mobile sigs be generic and very brief

If it is a signature, we should ask them to place it within the signature field so that it can be ignored with MyBB control panel settings. That would allow people the option of viewing it, or not, on an individual level. Signatures should not, however, be used as qualifiers.

The autotype needs a tweak ;)

Anyway, it is a valid suggestion. Let's see how it plays out for now, because coding a handler would be out of scope of available resources.

Ah, I was under the impression that STEP maintained their own server structure (VPS or otherwise). If there is a modular solution for filtering with MyBB, and I discover it, you'll be the first to know.

Also: We should have an IRC server

Sent from my Tandy DeskMate using Number Munchers

I'm starting to wonder if this thread will actually hold the record for most "Sent from X" messages :o

Ah, I was under the impression that STEP maintained their own server structure (VPS or otherwise). If there is a modular solution for filtering with MyBB, and I discover it, you'll be the first to know.

Better look for an IPB version, since the forums will apparently be switching to that somewhere in the future.

Speaking of which, I think there's an option in IPB by default that can automatically replace text in new posts. Will have to ask some friends who run a forum based on IPB if that's the case and whether it can handle regular expressions.

Sent from my GlaDOS Potato

snip/...

We do maintain our own server, but  new dev on a php (or other) handler for this specific task is not a priority. IPB may have a solution or even the tapatalk plugin, but it would seem like a difficult task to sort out anything other than "sent from.*$", which would likely mess with valid post content.

IRC and chat functionality are likely overkill, as that requires persons to monitor and administrate. If you or anyone else would like to volunteer ... ? (we tried a chat before, but it was suboptimal)

I don't see us using chat that much. We are all to conditioned to divide up our comment by topic… :p

Sent from the West Texas desert where it is a beautiful 70 degrees. Suck it Canada.

Chat isn't a great idea for something like STEP, since it's always better to have threads that can come up in google search, rather than a lot of information that gets lost in a chatbox. :|

Sent from a country where people use real measurement units and where people would die if the temperature was 70°.