Bottle neck: Stuttering

Spock

Question

Hey people,

I know this is the kind of question techies hate but I will ask it anyway. My Skyrim Setup is STEP:Extended modded (1024 textures for exteriors) and runs Opethfeldt ENB 7 beta 3. Today my new GPU arrived, Powercolor r9 290 pcs+. But I was very surprised I did get exact same fps (27.5) on a very low fps savegame I made near Riften (with lots of trees, no water visible) as with my 280x.

The things I checked are:

CPU: I7 920 @ 3.8 GHz (windows doesn't show full cpu usage, on no core)

RAM: 6 GB @ 1.5 GHz triple channel CL 7 (windows doesn't show full physical ram usage)

I thought the 290 should at least get me slightly more fps then the 280x so I'm thinking something else might hold my system back. Could it be the PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth?

Ugrids=7 costs me roughly 0.4 fps which encourages me to think this is really not geometry or shader limited but has something to do with bandwidth. Resolution is pretty much the only thing that has a huge impact on my fps, I'm currently at 1440p.

My ENBoost settings:

[MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true

DisableDriverMemoryManager=false

ReservedMemorySizeMb=256

EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false

DisablePreloadToVRAM=false

VideoMemorySizeMb=4000

EnableCompression=true

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Once again asking the lovely community for some help!

Just did a complete reinstall and did S.T.E.P 2.2.8 to the letter but now my game keeps stuttering and I also don't have the 3D ripes supplied by SMIM.

Stuttering - I have an AMD card so followed the settings for borderless window in ENBoost but it did not fix it, I then installed one tweak and set the borderless window option to 2 (because I'm using Realvision ENB) but that didn't fix it and I also ticked windowed mode in Skyrim launcher.

Ropes - I installed it following STEP's instructions and obviously selected 3D Ropes no fade option but they are not in Riverwood. I installed ELFX and the SMIM meshes (even though I don't think they conflict with ropes) and I put the ropes meshes in the MO overwrite folder but they still don't appear :(

If anyone could give me some advice regarding either problem I'd really appreciate it :)

Hey people,

I know this is the kind of question techies hate but I will ask it anyway. My Skyrim Setup is STEP:Extended modded (1024 textures for exteriors) and runs Opethfeldt ENB 7 beta 3. Today my new GPU arrived, Powercolor r9 290 pcs+. But I was very surprised I did get exact same fps (27.5) on a very low fps savegame I made near Riften (with lots of trees, no water visible) as with my 280x.

The things I checked are:

CPU: I7 920 @ 3.8 GHz (windows doesn't show full cpu usage, on no core)

RAM: 6 GB @ 1.5 GHz triple channel CL 7 (windows doesn't show full physical ram usage)

I thought the 290 should at least get me slightly more fps then the 280x so I'm thinking something else might hold my system back. Could it be the PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth?

Ugrids=7 costs me roughly 0.4 fps which encourages me to think this is really not geometry or shader limited but has something to do with bandwidth. Resolution is pretty much the only thing that has a huge impact on my fps, I'm currently at 1440p.

My ENBoost settings:

[MEMORY]

ReservedMemorySizeMb=256

VideoMemorySizeMb=4000

EnableCompression=true

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

I have basically the EXACT SAME issue as this. I upgraded from a 7970 ghz 3gb to a R9 290 4 GB and my FPS stayed THE SAME. I think it just has something to do with ENBoost trying to lock the framerate to 30 fps and/or that Bethesda games just never really run that well on AMD cards. I also tried ALL combinations of vsync/triple buffering/whatever. No luck. Let me know if you figure out this issue. 

EDIT: I'm also pretty positive that it has nothing to do with PCI-e 2.0 vs 3.0. I have a 2.0 board as well. From what I could find, it seems that at most, we could benefit from 3.0 by only gaining like 5 fps max.

There's another user here claiming to have stuttering problems and he owns an AMD card too. I'm in the same spot, and I've noticed stuttering even thought I have resources left.

Can you please post your options here? CCC options, skyrimperfes vsync status, enb window options and enblocal.ini memory parameters. So we can do a comparison.

Hey guys' date=' take a look here: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=5088[/quote']

Thanks. Can you post your EnbLocal.ini settings here as well? I will do the same later when I'm home. Clearly, the stuttering issue rests with AMD cards. I believe that tweaking ENBoost can make it better/worse. 

GPU: r9 270x @2gb

enblocal.ini

[MEMORY]
EnableCompression=true
ReservedMemorySizeMb=128
VideoMemorySizeMb=2000
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false
[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

skyrimprefs.ini

iPresentInterval=0

CCC > Gaming > 3D application settings:

Wait for vertical refresh: always on
Triple buffering: on

Ok, lets see:

- Memory: I tried using EnableCompression: true and modifying ReservedMemorySizeMb values.

- If I set iPresetInterval to 1 things like favorite menu or inventory cause a ridiculous amount of mouse lag.

- CCC: testing. Although vertical refresh always on + iPresetInterval=0 helped with mouse lag on menu, it's still noticeable.

Please post as much information as you can. 

EDIT: maybe someone that uses AMD and has no stuttering issues can post their settings.

Ok, little update. The next values were changed.

CCC:

Wait for vertical refresh: always off

Triple buffering: off

enblocal.ini:

[MEMORY]

DisableDriverMemoryManager=true

EnableCompression=true

ReservedMemorySizeMb=256

VideoMemorySizeMb=1920

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

skyrimprefs.ini:

iPresetInterval=1

EnableVSync=true (this hasn't changed but I forgot to add this line in my last post).

However, I'm still experiencing some stuttering. For example, if I'm in Whiterun gate and I walk to the edge like facing Western Watchtower.

Mouse lag when browsing menus has decreased.

Oh and by the way, are you guys experiencing a short freeze when switching weapons with hotkeys?

After testing some more areas yesterday I found that I got a significant fps improvement in other areas, this might indeed be the foliage for me too.

Sadly I will not be able to do much more testing in the near future as I have to RMA my card due to coil whining :/ Hopefully I get a card with Hynix Vram next time!

@Allsunday:

I just tried that tool, it didn't change anything at all for me :(

After testing some more areas yesterday I found that I got a significant fps improvement in other areas, this might indeed be the foilage for me too.

Sadly I will not be able to do much more testing in the near future as I have to RMA my card due to coil whining :/ Hopefully I get a card with Hynix Vram next time!

Spock, for clarity (since there's like 3 different threads on thsi right now) can you please post EXACTLY what you did to fix your stuttering/fps issue? 

Also, please post your CCC settings, Skyrimprefs vsync (either on or off) and your enblocal.ini.

Thanks!

I merely meant that the issue I posted in the OP wasn't present in all areas around Skyrim. I didn't get the slightest fps improvement on that foliage savegame but that's not true for all areas. There are other savegames where my 280x struggled with 25 fps and my 290 gets me ~38.

Sadly I couldn't do anything about the foliage fps till now, I would have told you if I did! :(

I merely meant that the issue I posted in the OP wasn't present in all areas around Skyrim. I didn't get the slightest fps improvement on that foliage savegame but that's not true for all areas. There are other savegames where my 280x struggled with 25 fps and my 290 gets me ~38.

Sadly I couldn't do anything about the foliage fps till now, I would have told you if I did! :(

Interesting, maybe some areas of Skyrim just drop you to a certain FPS regardless of how powerful your GPU is.