Bottle neck: Stuttering

Spock

Question

Hey people,

I know this is the kind of question techies hate but I will ask it anyway. My Skyrim Setup is STEP:Extended modded (1024 textures for exteriors) and runs Opethfeldt ENB 7 beta 3. Today my new GPU arrived, Powercolor r9 290 pcs+. But I was very surprised I did get exact same fps (27.5) on a very low fps savegame I made near Riften (with lots of trees, no water visible) as with my 280x.

The things I checked are:

CPU: I7 920 @ 3.8 GHz (windows doesn't show full cpu usage, on no core)

RAM: 6 GB @ 1.5 GHz triple channel CL 7 (windows doesn't show full physical ram usage)

I thought the 290 should at least get me slightly more fps then the 280x so I'm thinking something else might hold my system back. Could it be the PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth?

Ugrids=7 costs me roughly 0.4 fps which encourages me to think this is really not geometry or shader limited but has something to do with bandwidth. Resolution is pretty much the only thing that has a huge impact on my fps, I'm currently at 1440p.

My ENBoost settings:

[MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true

DisableDriverMemoryManager=false

ReservedMemorySizeMb=256

EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false

DisablePreloadToVRAM=false

VideoMemorySizeMb=4000

EnableCompression=true

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

Thanks in advance for any input on this!

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I merely meant that the issue I posted in the OP wasn't present in all areas around Skyrim. I didn't get the slightest fps improvement on that foliage savegame but that's not true for all areas. There are other savegames where my 280x struggled with 25 fps and my 290 gets me ~38.

Sadly I couldn't do anything about the foliage fps till now, I would have told you if I did! :(

Interesting, maybe some areas of Skyrim just drop you to a certain FPS regardless of how powerful your GPU is. 
That's why I thought about bandwidth limits...

I would really like to know what fps people with a 780 TI, full step setup, medium demanding ENB and 1440p get in the Riften forest.

I merely meant that the issue I posted in the OP wasn't present in all areas around Skyrim. I didn't get the slightest fps improvement on that foliage savegame but that's not true for all areas. There are other savegames where my 280x struggled with 25 fps and my 290 gets me ~38.

Sadly I couldn't do anything about the foliage fps till now, I would have told you if I did! :(

Interesting, maybe some areas of Skyrim just drop you to a certain FPS regardless of how powerful your GPU is. 
That's why I thought about bandwidth limits...
I read up on the PCI-e 2.0 vs 3.0. The consensus seems to be that you can gain anywhere from 1-5 fps by having a PCI-e 3.0 motherboard and GPU. That doesn't sound like much and most likely doesn't' explain this issue, does it?

That fps gain depends on how much PCI-E bandwidth the card needs for a certain scene. Maybe rendering the modded foliage needs a lot of bandwidth, but I cannot tell for sure. Usually games are streamlined to not stress such bottlenecks, maybe adding all those texture and mesh mods is too much. This is speculation by me though, just trying to find a reason.

Allsunday what is your PCI-E version?

That fps gain depends on how much PCI-E bandwidth the card needs for a certain scene. Maybe rendering the modded foliage needs a lot of bandwidth, but I cannot tell for sure. Usually games are streamlined to not stress such bottlenecks, maybe adding all those texture and mesh mods is too much. This is speculation by me though, just trying to find a reason.

Allsunday what is your PCI-E version?

When you say modded foliage, are you referring to mods like HD Trees and Skyrim Flora Overhaul? I have a MSI p67a-gd65 (B3) motherboard. It's PCI-e 2.0. I'm using it with an ASUS r9 290 4gb

I did a little reading on PCI-E lanes, the most recent I found was this:

https://www.overclock.net/t/1440974/anyone-have-real-world-performance-with-an-r9-290-or-290x-crossfire-on-pcie-2-0-and-eyefinity-5670x1080-rez

It seems like PCI-E normally only becomes a problem if you use xfire and 4k resolutions, if you got 2.0 x16 that is. But modded TES is known to do strange things in the past...

Yes, by modded foliage I mean Trees HD and SFO :)

But like I said this is a shot in the blue. It might also be a driver bug or some other bogus thing.

Hey all, I've tried borderless window in enblocal, one tweak and a combination of both but nothing works :(

Did anybody end up finding a solution to the stuttering?

Yea, someone above did. It was the frame limiter mod that runs through a proxy through ENBlocal.ini. Unfortunately, I can't use it because I'm already using a proxy .dll :-/.

Hey all, I've tried borderless window in enblocal, one tweak and a combination of both but nothing works :(

Did anybody end up finding a solution to the stuttering?

Yea, someone above did. It was the frame limiter mod that runs through a proxy through ENBlocal.ini. Unfortunately, I can't use it because I'm already using a proxy .dll :-/.
Lame :( In my ENBlocal I set WaitBusyRender to true and it seems to have sorted it, but my fps have dropped by a few :/

I did the same thing and it helped a bit too. Same with forcing borderless window mode through enblocal.

Boris recently optimized his SSAO shader.

So the new enb binary you mean? It's definitely enb because I get 60 fps when enb is turned off. I'll try the new enb binary

What ENB + Binary are you using? I'm using Realvision 250 + ENBseries 250