ENBoost detects wrong graphics adapter

agentsmith

Question

I was working through STEP 2.c to install ENBoost according to this page: https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations

After extracting the files and setting the ini prefs, I started Skyrim and the ENBoost message in the top left of the screen showed by HD Graphics adapter. I quit, opened the Launcher, and the Integrated HD Graphics Adapter was the only option available.

After doing some google searching, I found a thread mentioning that the injector dll for ENBoost can cause this problem, so I removed it and the ini files. Upon starting the launcher again, Skyrim effortlessly detected my (puny) NVidia GeForce GT 520M adapter.

The forum thread I was reading mentioned that the injection installation of ENB would work better for this than the wrapper. Not having read all the docs on ENB yet (sorry), I wondered if anybody on the forums here had seen this kind of behavior before and/or knew what might the appropriate way to fix it.

Just had the same problem and found the same fix :)

On the other hand, I've applied the fix and it's not picking up my GPU :( Investigating.

Run some kind of task manager in the background that measures gpu usage and see if it is being used while Skyrim is on. ENBoost does say it is using my discrete GPU but it is still being used.

Run some kind of task manager in the background that measures gpu usage and see if it is being used while Skyrim is on. ENBoost does say it is using my discrete GPU but it is still being used.

I think you meant to say "using integrated GPU". I just did that and can confirm that it's loading to the optimus card, thank goodness.

I'm not sure at all that the optimus fix works for my laptop.Nvidia GTX 540 M and INTEL HD 4000 here...ENB still keeps saying that it's using my Intel graphics ...

Leave process explorer on load a save. Alt-tab to the desktop and look at process explorer. There is a gpu chart that should show gpu usage. If you can't get it to work switch to the injector version. Just remember to start the injector exe before starting skyrim.

I would not recommend Optimus fix. It is ages old and you wil loose alot of effects with it.

People reported that using the Injector version instead of the Wrapper one solved their non recognised Graphics adapters.

Edited by Mangaclub

I doubt it would work but I remember one of the .ini files in previous ENB versions having a line saying something like video adapter or some such where it would have your video card's name, I don't see it in my copy of enbseries.ini or enblocal.ini but that doesn't mean it isn't somewhere else. Though as I said it's probably just text and not related to which it's actually using (if it's still there somewhere).

If you are using a laptop with the Integrated card AND Nvidia card along with Optimus. Make sure that you follow the instructions from the Speed and Stability Guide for ENB on the Nexus. He is has helped STEP with the Texture optimization and Memory Patch stuff in the past. The only reason I point you there instead of STEP's ENBOOST section is that is has a more detailed description of how to install the Injector version of Enboost. Just scroll almost all the way down to the bottom of the page and you will see the Injector Guide section. Although reading the entire Guide will also help in understanding why's and how's of stabilizing Skyrim.

Before you do anything though delete the d3d9.dll file from the main <Skyrim> directory. That is what is causing Enboost and Skyrim from not seeing your Nvidia card. You will have to use the files from the Injector folder instead of the Wrapper folder.

And yes after setting this up you will have to start the Enbinjector.exe file before you launch Skyrim but it takes less than a half second to click on it and hit the Hide in Tray button. Just right click on the icon in the tray and click on Exit when you are finished playing Skyrim.

Hope this helps. I was having the same problem and it took me forever to figure out what the problem was because I did not realize that Geforce Experience was "Optimus". :)

Edited by Eglyntine
  • +1 1

I don't know that you would want to stop Optimus from working or you would always be using the discrete graphics for any application with hardware acceleration. Basically, your browser would be eating your battery power up like a fat guy at fried chicken buffet.

But, if you really want to do it, I think you can do it in the BIOS. There may also, be another way if you use device manager, but I've never really come across that and don't know if the intel drivers are two separate drivers for the chipset or combined.