Integrating Packs into STEP:Core

I am curious. The one thing I do not see with the Pack descriptions, and the other Pack STEP pages is how to add the pack mods to a STEP Core install?

I use Mod Organizer. Do the mods get added to the equivalent lettered categories  in STEP? Would an Armor mod be added to the 2I group in STEP? A sound mod to 2L? And added to the mod install order accordingly (left pane of MO)? So if your mod was, say, a Mithril Armor set, would you place it in the Mod list at the end of that section - After "Ultimate HD Torch" and before "Animated Weapon Enchants"? Or after "Jewels of the Nord" (Alphabetically)? Or do all pack mods go at the very end after "Non-Essential Children"?

Before the Pack concept, I was working under the assumption that any mod I added beyond STEP would be added using the same logic that STEP was organized with. Put the armor mods in the armor section, and in alphabetical order within each section like most of the STEP mods, unless something else is specified in the mod itself.

So how exactly are the pack mods to be added to a STEP core setup?

Each pack should have their own instructions. Every finished pack must be compatible with STEP:Core (keep in mind not all packs are finished).

You can usually assume that you can add the pack at the end of the install order (the left pane) in MO. However some packs, such as Weather and Lighting, have instructions to add mods inbetween the categories used by STEP

It all depends on whether the mod overwrites any textures/meshes or even scripts and whether you would like that mod to be the conflict winner or not. Sometimes a mod must win a oncflict otherwise you can run into issues.

The way STEP mods are organized is 1) for maximum compatibility and optimal overwriting 2) for convenience. Enable any new mod you might have and check in Mo if it overwrtiers anything. If it doesn't, then install order doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly how to install packs and how they work is what I am wondering as well.. and I don't think it has been fully articulated yet in the wiki. There should be a generalized explanation of how to install a STEP Pack that is applicable to all packs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not trying to push for information that hasn't been worked out, or prod people. Really. But is there an overview of the order of Packs and their respective mod lists? I'm trying to use a couple of packs and want to add yet a few more. Although I'm running out of room.

I had gotten used to using the BOSS categories as a general guide but with STEP's layered approach I'm just not sure which Pack layer and sub-layer goes where.

I can't shake the feeling that inter-weaving is necessary.

There's no such thing as a "pack order". As I said earlier, generally speaking packs come after the STEP install unless the pack's instructions tell you otherwise. 

If you let us know which packs you like to install then we might be able to help :)

Oh that's very nice but I don't want to make work for anyone. I was just asking. Thanks so much for responding.

For the record I've got Weather and Lighting in and had Survival and Immersive Survival  and was adding REGS and I'm thinking of adding SkyRe. Plus body mods, and a handful of others. But I'm already in a quandary as I LIKE Open Cities so I'll have to tailor as I can anyhow. I'm also out of room for plugins so I need to take a breath and start culling. Yeah.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.