SKSE Install - Detailed Instructions

croc

Question

Can someone explain (in VERY simple words) what the below means?

"This 'mod' requires a special install:

• Place *.exe and *.dll into <skyrim>/ (not the data directory!)
  • Repackage skse*.zip:
    • Extract Data/
    • Repackage into a new zip file (name it accordingly)
    • Place into MO downloads directory
  • Install repacked archive via MO
  • Add the following to <skyrim>DataSKSEskse.ini (create INI if necessary):

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1"

For instance, in "1.  Place *.exe and *.dll into <skyrim>/ (not the data directory!)"  I thought that the whole point of the MO was to 'virtualize' everything, not to have to touch the base Skyrim install at all.                  

Then there is 2.  Does this mean to put all files currently in data into  ?  Most mods have a structure of data, not many have a structure of filename, filename, filename data.  Surely MO should be able to handle the few that do?  Amd why does it have to be zipped?  Is uncompressed an invalid option?

Last, the instruction in 4 pre-supposes that the DataSKSE directory exists.

Hey, I am just trying to learn how to use your STEP guide and your Mod Organizer.  I am finding a lot of the explanations a bit confusing.  I am sure that this will not be the last question I have, in fact next up is Wrye Bash:  Do I run it from within MO or from outside?  Nothing explicitly says...

Edited by croc

9 answers to this question

Here how I do it. These instructions assume you know how to use an archive extractor like 7zip (or whatever) and that you know the normal proceedure for installing any other mod using Mod Organizer (MO) in which the DATA folder may not be the top folder.

1. Download SKSE to you MO download directory, just like you would any other mod you wish to install.

2. Using Windows navigate to your MOdownload directory and find the SKSE archive, I use skse_1_07_00.7z.

3. Open the archive with whatever tool you use (7zip, etc.) You will see a directory called "skse_1_07_00", Name maybe different if not using SKSE 1.07alpha.

4. The *.exe and *.dll files in that directory will need to be copied/extracted to your steam skyrim folder (usually "[steam folder]steamappscommonSkyrim"). The files are skse_loader.exe, skse_1_9_32.dll, and skse_steam_loader.dll.

5. Then using MO install the DATA folder as you would any other mod (this is where I assume you know how to do this) and call the mod whatever you like. I use "Skyrim Script Extender".

6. In MO in the left-pane move the SKSE directory to the top of your load order.

7. Using Windows navigate to the SKSE folder and in that folder create a folder named "SKSE". If you are in the right folder before you create this directory you will only see a "scripts" directory.

8. Navigate into the newly created SKSE directory and create a file called "SKSE.ini".

9. Copy and paste the following into the SKSE.ini

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

10. The [Memory] section is ONLY for SKSE 1.7 alpha. If you do not use that version, do not include that section.

I hope that is fairly clear and simple. There really is  no need to create a seperate archive just to install the DATA folder.

• +1 1

I am not sure why should we repackage the scripts and install them like a standalone mod either.

But what the instructions basically say is:

1) put the dll and exe files in the real skyrim folder

2) grab the data folder from the downloaded SKSE archive, and pack its contents into standalone archive, and install that like if it was a mod.

ad 2: Here's what I did: I created a SKSE folder and put the default skse.ini file into it, and packed that with the scripts folder. The structure inside the archive is then:

scripts*.pex

SKSESKSE.ini

This eliminates 4).

Edited by Octopuss

Mod Organizer puts virtual links only into the SkyrimData folder. SKSE executable and dlls need to be installed in the main Skyrim directory as is true for any extender. By packaging the scripts folder, and the SKSE folder if desired, into an archive it can be managed by MO so that the SkyrimData directory itself has no direct additions; the additional folders are added to the Data directory with virtual links by MO

The SKSE install with MO is fairly flexible...in some ways that can lead to confusion for new users, as it did for me at first.

At present, I have all SKSE Scripts in Mod Organizer's virtual folder, and the Plugin DLL's in their default location in the Skyrim folder. The DLL's also work just fine if placed in MO's folder structure. I start Skyrim with this shortcut:

"C:Mod OrganizerModOrganizer.exe" "F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/skse_loader.exe"

But, it doesn't appear to matter where SKSE's files are located, obviously the core files ( skse_1_9_32.dll, etc ) have to be in the actual Skyrim folder.

Edited by Kuldebar

A google search for installing SKSE with Mod Organiser turned up this page as one of the top links, meaning DanimalTwo has probably helped quite a lot of people. That being so I signed up in oder to say these two simple words:

Thank you.

sorry for necromancing this thread but I'm going crazy, and this problem drives me nuts!

Using MO, SKSE 1.7.3:

in SKSE.ini

if (DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768)
  MemoryBlocksLog report that Block1 = 512 
else if (DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024)
  MemoryBlocksLog report that Block1 = 768

:O_o: What the hek is going on here ?  :huh:

Thank you  :blush:

Edited by MaximilianPs

That's the way the SKSE team implemented it. I haven't a clue as to why. I'm sure it's some technical detail that made sense to them, while making it weird to everyone without the "know".

You always have to minus 256 from the number you set and that will be what the actual default heap is. Yes, it can be confusing but it's working correctly.