Other Games

I see most of people like Morrowind VERY much and I am begining to regret for not having heard of TES before Oblivion' date=' thus never played it. Really, what do you think - how hard would it be to get used to such an old game after Skyrim and Oblivion now (considering I never played it before)???[/quote']

I was wondering the same thing, I've never played it either.  I hear it doesn't look that bad with heavy modding, but it still might be a stretch.  If Morrowblivion ever got done I'd settle for that, the Oblivion engine is still alright.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Draco & Farlo

Morrowind will inevitably look a bit dated - although I've been a long time away from the mod scene there so can't say how far it can be buffed up visually now. However it has a pretty good story line and the area is so different in look and feel to the other parts of Tamriel that you don't look for it to be 'realistic' in the same way as Oblivion introduced.

It is well worth the few pennies it would cost to try it out :)

Morroblivion has been completed for the original Morrowind game, they are now converting over the expansion packs. I know you have to own both games though even though it's all run off of Oblivion, and I think someone has even made some hi-res texture packs for the game. I don't know if I could be on one of those projects that takes years and years, especially not for free. Just look at how bad things have gotten on the Black Mesa mod.

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised that of all the MMO talk no one played EVE Online. I don't like MMOs, but every time I here about the game it's some kind of massive user created space piracy thing.

Morroblivion has been completed for the original Morrowind game, they are now converting over the expansion packs. I know you have to own both games though even though it's all run off of Oblivion, and I think someone has even made some hi-res texture packs for the game. I don't know if I could be on one of those projects that takes years and years, especially not for free. Just look at how bad things have gotten on the Black Mesa mod.

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised that of all the MMO talk no one played EVE Online. I don't like MMOs, but every time I here about the game it's some kind of massive user created space piracy thing.

Oh, cool, I didn't know it had been finished, I might look into that, or as Bealdwine suggested, just drop the few bucks and find out :P

As for Eve... I just can't get into it.  I've tried several times but it's a very passive game and it just doesn't seem worth the $15/month.  It's entertaining to play with the market sometimes and of course there's a big "yay!" moment when you make a huge profit, but aside from increasing your account balance there's not a whole lot to do besides PvP.  Even that'd be fine if the combat was any kind of engaging.  It doesn't help that after the first few ranks it begins to take literal weeks to level any skills up.  Fortunately, I love CCP and what they're trying to do, so I can throw my money at Dust 514 instead and have a badass FPS to play :D

I have played Eve and although it is an MMO I don't think of it as RPG, just not engaging on that level.

As to Morrowind, there is a mod pack Morrowind Overhaul that you might want to consider. Here is also a

showing our firendly neighborhood Vurt's excellent landscape flora mod :)
Morrowind Overhaul is incredible it looks Great. I think Morrowind is just as entertaining as Skyrim.

Wow, didnt expect so many people to enjoy civ!

So a quick question, i have been playing civ 4 on and off since the release of the Beyond the Sword expansion. Put maybe 150h into over since then. How do you get past Prince difficulty?

I cannot win a game. Ill survive, and never get wiped out, but i cant actually ever win at prince and higher. I always play domination and/ or conquest.

Im not a tactical genius, and neither do i play any other rts at all. Anybody else stuck at around this difficulty level as well? I see people on CivFanatics beating Deity quite often.

Wow, didnt expect so many people to enjoy civ!

So a quick question, i have been playing civ 4 on and off since the release of the Beyond the Sword expansion. Put maybe 150h into over since then. How do you get past Prince difficulty?

I cannot win a game. Ill survive, and never get wiped out, but i cant actually ever win at prince and higher. I always play domination and/ or conquest.

Im not a tactical genius, and neither do i play any other rts at all. Anybody else stuck at around this difficulty level as well? I see people on CivFanatics beating Deity quite often.

Same here. Prince is my limit. I always play on a gigantic map with about 12 civs. Very difficult game, and the only reason some are able to win on king and above is because they have figured out all of the little tricks (or more likely are following a compiled guide). I NEVER attempt to learn the game mechanics, as that ruins the excperience for me. As soon as I can reduce the game down to a bunch of empirical data points and precicely-calculated decisions, it is no longer a dynamic game for me and becomes more like completing a giant, complicated jigsaw puzzle.

Boring!

My favorite part of the game is the first third and building the civ's base. After that I can usually see the end.

Actual Difficulty level in Civilization 4 differs depending on many things such as:

- number of civs

- map types and size

- length of game

- and most importantly MOD!

Well, until now I played  Civ4 Rise of Mankind mod and I played the Giant map size, called TERA and the pace was SNAIL (which is even slower than marathon). I played on Monarch difficulty which is one step harder then prince.

- There is really no certain tactics that can prevail because every run is different and you have to adjust according to the terrain, nearby resources etc. But my suggestion would be to found a couple of cities as early as possible (don't make to many though, because you won't be able to support them financially)! 

- It's also a good idea to build a small army early on and attack the capital of the nearest CIV because that way you could get to the 2nd city quicker than by making a settler and your city will actually grow (and those capital cities have quite good bonuses around).

- Also try to build the Oracle so you could get that bonus tech.

- Research WRITING asap so you could get the upperhand in on tech bartering and of course try not to barter WRITING. It's a  huge leverage early on.

Now there is Rise of Mankinf A new Dawn and I just insatlled it today so I will check it out. I see there is even a slower pace than SNAIL, it's called ETERNITY and a lot of early buildings to actually give some meaning to early game.

If you don't like that mod there is also REALISM INVICTUS but I haven't played it very much.

EDIT: Oh BTW, I don't win every time, but that's not the point. I think Monarch difficulty is very good exactly because you really have to push your brains to the limits, and still it's not guaranteed that you'll finish at the top of the chart. It's hard and exciting. On prince you usually win so you don't get to strain your gray cells at all, so it's natural to get bored sooner that getting to the Renaissance era.

Civilization 4, SimCity 4 and Skyrim - best games ever ;) 

Go with Civ IV, as this is more close to the original game I think.

Also, I agree emphatically with Draco's points. In fact, I almost always picka civ that grants two opening settlers, as two cities within the first 2-3 turns is critical to early advancement (given the resources).

MANY strategies of play though.