Snow Shader Fix

DoubleYou

This really looks like a good fix without all the compatibility grief of BDS.

jacktthompson

I used all vanilla assets and the shader file that Bethesda included in the bsa in meshes/landscape but did not use in game. This should be compatible with No Snow Under the Roof, Better Town Textures and any other mods that edit the farmhouse and other NIF meshes.

BDS creates all new snow objects and places them in the worldspace. It also edits the NIF meshes of farmhouses. That is why it conflicts with other mods that edit those worldspaces or farmhouse meshes. Tes5Edit will not show conflicts because the new material added does not conflict with the Vanilla assets, it completely replaces them. You should use one or the other, not both.
Now to try it out in a game...

PS I don't use Static Mesh Improvement or Better Dynamic Snow...too invasive for a modded game, imo.

It works for some areas... not for others.. BDS/SMIM is defintely more extensive but thats kinda expected.

I wonder why it wouldn't work consistently? I've not tried it yet in game, but I'd think the file would apply wherever there's the snow shader effect in game assuming no overwrite conflicts by other snow related mods...

New update:

v1.1 Edited snow material object I missed first time around

Arthmoor has commented on this mod:

Arthmoor 978 kudos 5692 posts

Unfortunately I may have stumbled on to why they disabled it. While it worked wonderfully when I first installed it, and watched in amazement as the snow on the decks and roofs in Morthal gradually faded out to bare wood, it's become stuck like this everywhere there should be snow. Including Winterhold.There is apparently something more that needs to be done somehow, but I'm not sure what. I was testing it under entirely vanilla conditions with just the USKP btw, no mesh/texture mods for snow stuff.Also a couple of folks on the project saying it doesn't work at all, but he's standing on Dwemer pieces that may or may not be intended to run this effect.

Edited by Kuldebar

• 3 months later...

I've installed the mod again (the first time I tried it gave me weird results, probably a problem with other files on my side), and like it. I actually like it a lot. I think I'll keep using it for a while.

The only downside is that it doesn't work too well with NSutR. Not that they are incompatible, but NSutR (surprise) uses its own meshes, and basically makes the effect of this mod invisible save for a few very minor spots here and there.

Edited by Octopuss

Guys this is why Brumbek came to help out because on its own, with no edits, some meshes like WH palace vanish at certain angles. BDS also uses this mesh, but it does not matter what mesh you use. You could use a German sausage mesh and it would behave the same.

Edit: Old-ish thread, oh. information is wrong though. Meshes are not replaced in the plugin as for over a year, I cleaned that all out. Mesh edits are necessary as some meshes are bugged and don't show snow. Snow needs 0,0,0 pivots only. If you don't want to use thes BDS fix meshes, bar the shader, I think you can just delete them. I may put up a more compatible version if people can tell me this works.

Edited by Guest

Yeah don't use it IF it just plants the new textured snow everywhere. That is basically BDS 1.6. It will have the same bugs if so. I went to Brumbek because I had a hint it was mesh related. After he found it was pivots and mesh transparency that bugged it out, he was a star and fixed all the meshes he could, then I took over for the later updates.  Some things can not be fixed though, like said vanishing meshes. I worked so hard trying to fix that bug, I tried everything. Also the snow on rocks is something that looks to be related to the colouring of the shader.

Also I am not getting the incompatibilities with BDS. Brumbek has catered for them, why can't others? They just need to use the meshes from the mod.

Edit: Yeah it looks like BDS, but with no fixes or anything. I see he notes WH palace bug too. I bet he just fixed that with default snow. If you guys want a LITE version like this then I can provide that as said.  ::):

Edited by Guest