Guide:Skyrim Configuration Settings

Skyrim doesn't have a Test1 setting, so I'm not sure how you're reading that, unless this is an application of your own making. What I do know: comments don't work next to string settings. So, I just blanket recommend all comments be placed on their own line. There can't be any issue with that, and it is much cleaner.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an application of my making that just uses the same API functions that Skyrim uses. I agree with both of you that we do need to establish a standard for comments, and that comments should not be at the end of a valid setting.

My only intent was to find out the various effects semicolons and other special characters have on settings to give us some concrete information, meaning I think we can safely say that the GetPrivateProfile* and GetProfile* functions do ignore lines that start with a semicolon. I know you've already proven this on your own, I just wanted to verify that something like ;bMakeSkyrimCrash=true is a valid comment that can't be read even if explicitly attempting to read ";bMakeSkyrimCrash" as a key.

I recommend that everyone add the following tweak. You'll thank me the next time you open your ENB in-game settings. Or if you don't have any kind of double cursor fix (either ENB's solution or the Double Cursor Fix mod).

Skyrim.ini

[Controls]
bBackgroundMouse=1

bBackgroundMouse toggles the ability of the mouse to move independently inside Skyrim (default where bBackgroundMouse is disabled) or dependent upon where the cursor actually is in the system (bBackgroundMouse is enabled). It is recommended to be enabled to prevent awkward mouse behavior during some actions.

When I set this option, I get a double cursor that's visible and active on the second monitor. This means when the mouse scrolls into the second monitor (such as when turning around) and I click, the focus changes and Skyrim vanishes (meaning Skyrim no longer has the focus and is changed to a background process).

When I set this option, I get a double cursor that's visible and active on the second monitor. This means when the mouse scrolls into the second monitor (such as when turning around) and I click, the focus changes and Skyrim vanishes (meaning Skyrim no longer has the focus and is changed to a background process).

Hmmm... that's an interesting setup. Adding the following to Skyrim.ini will cause Skyrim to always remain active, but that might not entirely fix that incompatibility:

[General]
bAlwaysActive=1

• Added "INI syntax" and rules and restructured a bit, moving the prefix explanation inside INI syntax under settings. The prefixes are vital to understanding INI settings!
  • Tweaked "Recommended changes" layout to be easier to add new tweaks
  • Added several vital tweaks to "Recommended changes"
  • Removed untested tweaks from the "Recommended changes" section and placed them inside new "Other useful INI tweaks" section
  • Added "Other useful INI tweaks" section
  • Added lots of "new" and useful INI tweaks
  • Added "Known harmful INI tweaks" section
  • Added lots of harmful INI tweaks with bad values in red

Hmmm... that's an interesting setup. Adding the following to Skyrim.ini will cause Skyrim to always remain active, but that might not entirely fix that incompatibility:

[General]
bAlwaysActive=1

This keeps Skyrim active in the background, but it doesn't solve the issue with the double cursor appearing on the second monitor.

• 3 weeks later...

Tweak of the day:

Skyrim.ini

[MapMenu]

Increase map menu rotation range
fMapWorldYawRange sets the yaw range that the map menu's camera can turn when the right mouse button is pressed. Setting this to 400 allows the user to rotate full circle once. Increasing this beyond 400 allows the user to rotate more than full circle. Obsessively high values (e.g., 3600) induce crashes.

fMapWorldYawRange=400

• 4 weeks later...

Be advised that the following tweak to remove blood splatter, which was recently added to the "Other useful INI tweaks" section, has been moved to the "Known harmful INI tweaks" section due to the fact that it causes the map menu to CTD. Killed my tweaking fun, that's for sure.

[screenSplatter]

bBloodSplatterEnabled
bBloodSplatterEnabled toggles screen blood splatter. Unfortunately, it also causes the map menu to CTD.

bBloodSplatterEnabled=0

This tweak has a nice effect on distant light. It is similar to the grass fade range tweak, so it might eliminate light pop-in.

Adjust light fade range

fLightLODRange sets how far away light will fade from the start fade distance (fLightLODStartFade, which is Light Fade in the in-game Settings > Display menu). It is recommended to set it to 50000.

FLightLODRange%3D500.jpg

fLightLODRange=500

(Default)

FLightLODRange%3D20000.jpg

fLightLODRange=20000

FLightLODRange%3D50000.jpg

fLightLODRange=50000

(Recommended)

Skyrim.ini

[Display]
fLightLODRange=50000