Guide:Skyrim Configuration Settings

Just tried this:

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.2

"

40px-MO_%2832%29.png
USERS Using the Tools > [Configurator] tool prevents any editing mistakes. Open the tool, click [basic] to get the Advanced options, and choose the applicable section from the combobox. Then find the applicable setting and alter as indicated below. Click the [save] button after each change and close the dialog when finished.   1.D.1. Skyrim INI

[Archive]

Set INI-loaded BSAs to their correct values
If the user somehow bypasses using the Skyrim Launcher when creating their INI files, the game will be missing Esbern's voice and will cause TES5Edit and other programs to not read all the Skyrim vanilla BSAs. To fix this, the following MUST be present in the Skyrim.ini file in the [Archive] section.

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsasResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

"

As it doesn't exist in Configurator, this sounds nonsense.

The only record that is at least similar is "sResourcArchiveRetainFileNameList".

So I suspect, there has to be more about this, than just this description in STEP.

What's the sense?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tried this:

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.2

"

40px-MO_%2832%29.png

USERS Using the Tools > [Configurator] tool prevents any editing mistakes. Open the tool, click [basic] to get the Advanced options, and choose the applicable section from the combobox. Then find the applicable setting and alter as indicated below. Click the [save] button after each change and close the dialog when finished. 1.D.1. Skyrim INI

[Archive]

Set INI-loaded BSAs to their correct values

If the user somehow bypasses using the Skyrim Launcher when creating their INI files, the game will be missing Esbern's voice and will cause TES5Edit and other programs to not read all the Skyrim vanilla BSAs. To fix this, the following MUST be present in the Skyrim.ini file in the [Archive] section.

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa
"

As it doesn't exist in Configurator, this sounds nonsense.

The only record that is at least similar is "sResourcArchiveRetainFileNameList".

So I suspect, there has to be more about this, than just this description in STEP.

What's the sense?

I noticed something similar off the bat as well with my 2.2.9.2 install. I just closed the Configurator and browsed to the Mod Organizer profile, then copy/pasted them from the guide with heavy use of the 'find' function (Ctrl+f) in the INIs to not duplicate anything.

Also, if I recall correctly from my 2.2.9.1 install, the Configurator changes 'iPresentInterval' in it's default location (SkyrimPrefs.ini) instead of it's proper location (Skyrim.ini).

Could a note be put in for these two settings that they must be changed manually?

Edited by Nebulous112

• 3 months later...

Be advised that the following tweak to remove blood splatter, which was recently added to the "Other useful INI tweaks" section, has been moved to the "Known harmful INI tweaks" section due to the fact that it causes the map menu to CTD. Killed my tweaking fun, that's for sure.

[screenSplatter]

bBloodSplatterEnabled

bBloodSplatterEnabled toggles screen blood splatter. Unfortunately, it also causes the map menu to CTD.

bBloodSplatterEnabled=0

I used to have this tweak and don't recall any map crashing. I've removed it now to be safe, but I'm wondering is there some other way to get the blood off the screen? Would this be recommended? https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/471/? It's just a couple texture files.

I'm hesitant to install EBT on my Requiem setup. I'm also wondering why does EBT need an esp file to remove the screen blood when this "Bloody Screen Removal" is apparently doing it with only a couple texture files?

Edited by aaltair

I'm hesitant to install EBT on my Requiem setup. I'm also wondering why does EBT need an esp file to remove the screen blood when this "Bloody Screen Removal" is apparently doing it with only a couple texture files?

Isn't there a MCM setting for the No Screen Blood option now for EBT?

Isn't there a MCM setting for the No Screen Blood option now for EBT?

Ah, yes looking back over the page I see that it does. It has the esp as an option if you don't have MCM capabilities. Still interested as to an esp would be needed if you could just use a couple texture files, but as I'm not likely to use EBT it probably doesn't matter, just curious :)

• 2 months later...

[screenSplatter] instructions are misleading.

Should this be left at default or set to zero? Please state explicitly, thanks.

Also, since we are duplicating in both the Skyrim Configuration Guide and the Skyrim INI Guide (along with many other settings from the main INI guides; verbatim is intended, I would think), then we should be ensuring consistency using transclusion so that we only need to edit one source and trust consistent propagation elsewhere. For example, main guide ini tweaks are defined in the Skyrim Configuration Guide and transcluded to the main guide, as follows:

Transclude define page (SCG):

<onlyinclude>{{#ifeq:{{{insert|SkyrimBriefINI}}}|SkyrimBriefINI|

wiki code to transclude

}}</onlyinclude>

Display page (transclude call; main guide):

{{Guide:Skyrim_Configuration_Settings|insert=SkyrimBriefINI}}

Similarly, I think that the Skyrim INI Guide and SkyrimPrefs INI Guide should be the source of all analogous info presented in the SCG, as follows where applicable:

In Guide:Skyrim INI/ScreenSplatter:

<onlyinclude>{{#ifeq:{{{insert|ScreenSplatter}}}|ScreenSplatter|

bBloodSplatterEnabled toggles screen blood splatter. Unfortunately, it also causes the map menu to CTD.

(please define 'it' as bBloodSplatterEnabled = 1/0)

}}</onlyinclude>

Then call it in SCG:

{{Guide:Skyrim INI/ScreenSplatter|insert=ScreenSplatter}}

Theoretically, it is a good idea and should reduce maintenance and increase consistency ... but PITA to set and for the less wary to edit unless they know how to trace to source. I thought there may be another reason why you did not set up this way, too. If you find that it does not cause more trouble, then it is probably a good idea to implement here and anywhere this concept applies.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to know if changing some skyrim.ini setting could harm my saves or if it's safe to tweak my skyrim.ini in the middle of a playthrough.

I searching for the source of a crash and while reading the instructions of Crash Fixes I found this recommendation from meh321:

Skyrim.ini:

• uExterior Cell Buffer:General - setting this too high causes crashes more, especially when game wants to unload many cells at once. If you set 0 or just remove it from your INI then game decides this and that's the best way.

Mine is set to

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

I'd like to set it to 0 as STEP only says this for this setting:

uExterior Cell Buffer

uExterior Cell Buffer=-1 or lower

Negative values cause CTD.

I belive I never changed uGridsToLoad but I will check this value when I'm back at home, can't say for sure now.

So you mean uGridsToLoad=5 and uExterior Cell Buffer=36 are dependant and changing one will "break" the other. It is not that clear from meh321s description.

What do you think about the other recommendation he gives for skyrim.ini?

• uExterior Cell Buffer:General - setting this too high causes crashes more, especially when game wants to unload many cells at once. If you set 0 or just remove it from your INI then game decides this and that's the best way.
  • bPreemptivelyUnloadCells:General - setting this 1 will mean game purges cell buffers and unload cell whenever it is possible. Default is 0 which means keep cell in memory until we need the space for other cells. I find 0 to be better, there's no reason to unload cell immediately, the buffer was implemented for a reason.
  • fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS:Papyrus - setting higher will cause longer loading. Mine is 500, seems to work well for me. You can try 750 or even 1000+ if you have a lot of script-heavy mods.
  • fUpdateBudgetMS:Papyrus - remove (this sets to default 1.2). If you have a lot of script heavy mods and a good PC you can set higher for example 2.0, however this can reduce your FPS when a lot of things are happening.
  • fExtraTaskletBudgetMS:Papyrus - remove (this sets to default 1.2). See above.
  • bEnableLogging:Papyrus - set 0. There's no reason to log papyrus unless you are developing a mod. Writing to file constantly is not good for performance. Papyrus logs have nothing to do with finding causes for crashes, although you can use this to find misbehaving mod scripts which can be helpful, I'd recommend to disable it for normal gameplay though.
  • bEnableTrace:Papyrus - set 0. See above.
  • Any other papyrus setting - delete. Changing the papyrus from default will just cause instability or lagged scripts.
  • iPresentInterval:Display - VSync enabled or disabled. You shouldn't need to change this as default value is 1 and that's good.

Edited by BUBISHI