Kuldebar

Question

OK, who is using these together and what's the word?

LOOT is the spiritual successor to BOSS, and was originally planned for release as BOSS v3. However, because it operates in a very different way to BOSS, it was decided to instead release it as a separate utility.

I kind of use it. It crashes like no tomorrow, but a fix for that will likely be included in next version.

It produces completely different load order, and it still doesn't work too well:

Skyrim.esmUpdate.esmUnofficial Skyrim Patch.espDawnguard.esmClimatesOfTamriel.esmUnofficial Dawnguard Patch.espHearthFires.esmUnofficial Hearthfire Patch.espDragonborn.esmETaC - RESOURCES.esmUnofficial Dragonborn Patch.espLanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esmSkyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esmWinterholdDestruction.esmNight Eye Overhaul.esmUnofficial High Resolution Patch.esp

Reason I'm entertaining the idea of using it is that the regular BOSS seems to slowly becoming outdated -even though I submit new mods to it. And I find userlists to be very cumbersome to create and maintain when there's more than a few mods that have to be categorized. Obviously. I don't necessarily expect the new rendition to be easier but perhaps it will have more recently updated masterlists?

Edited by Kuldebar

Well actually the regular BOSS is going to be update to version 2.2 and it has his masterlist updated while BOSS 2.1.1 is frozen.

It's still not entirely clear how much attention the BOSS masterlist will receive after v2.2 is released, since LOOT (previously known as BOSS v3) is meant to replace BOSS. With every passing week, new mods are released, patches, made, etc., all of which would need to be added to the "old" masterlist for v2.2 to provide the same usefulness as it had until the masterlist was frozen in January.

Personally, I'm not ready for LOOT, and worry about things like how it will handle plugins with masters in a different orders (since that's what it looks at when determining load order.) Maybe that's already been figured out, but I'm not interested in combing through the development forum thread, and will just wait until it's out of beta and has seen use by the "public" for a month or so.

In the meanwhile, it's probably important to note that if you're trying out the BOSS v2.2 update beta, BOSS Userlist Manager (BUM) needed to be updated to work with it. The latest version of BUM is now 6.7.

Anyhow, looking at the tail end of the LOOT / Boss 2.2 development thread, I see that wrinklynija has announced his plan to release BOSS v2.2 tomorrow (Saturday, which is actually today here in Hanoi). He's likely going to remove the Nexus mods page for BOSS. since it has it's own webpage.

An important thing he also stated is that BOSS v2.2 will be required to receive any masterlist udpates - though again, it's unclear how well it be maintained moving forward (since it requires so much "manual" work to keep it updated.)

Time to celebrate!! It's out of beta!!

https://github.com/loot/loot/releases/tag/v0.5.0

Changes since LOOT v0.5.0 beta 16:

• Fixed negative global priorities not being applied correctly.
  • Masterlist revision gets displayed even if updating has failed.
  • Fixed wrong default repository branch.
  • Fixed settings being initialised incorrectly.
  • Updated credits and contributing info.
  • Fixed errors encountered while getting and setting load order providing no details.

Been using it for 4 days now. Started with LOOT 0.50 and used BOSS 2.20 before. Although its officially recommended by LOOT to start with a new game (if you were using BOSS before) I decided to switch from BOSS to LOOT with my current save. With the BOSS load order it was stable and with the LOOT it is ALSO stable. I'm using it in combination with Mod Organizer (MO). As with the external BOSS 2.20 you have to start LOOT from MO.

I decided to switch from BOSS to LOOT because BOSS has a big backlog of mods (3000+ I believe) and I had to create 15 rules in my userlist. With the recent Audio Sound Overhaul and other mods this had grown to 22+. As I LACK the knowledge to know where exactly to put mods not recognized by BOSS this was bound to cause problems in the long run.

LOOT works like a charm and they are very open to suggestions for features and implement new rules if needed. The masterlist.yaml is VERY clean. LOOT basically does everything by an algorithm. New rules are only needed to help LOOT a bit, stuff like reproccer and other dynamic plugins like skyproc based patchers. Sometimes a new rule is needed/added because of a specific requirement by a mod author and the LOOT algorithm does not catch that one.

My RTFM-fu failed me and I missed a nice feature. After 'sorting' you have the option to check mods and select 'show conflicts only'. That way is you suspect LOOT missed something you can find out very quickly.

TLDR:Switches from BOSS to LOOT and I'm having a stable Skyrim version as before. Brilliant tool. HIGHLY recommended to give it a try. Unrecognized mods as with BOSS is something of the past. Just my 2 eurocent. 

I downloaded and installed and ran LOOT...but the load order it generated was so insanely different than my previous stable BOSS Load Order that I simply can't trust the results. I mean, LOOT had WATER up near the top of the list, had my follower mods spread out in all sort of places. I can't reconcile the fact that its ordering would be so dramatically different than BOSS.

Edited by Kuldebar

@DoubleYou So, it's not just me "missing something" here?  I am definitely open to any improvement in mod ordering, but I need to understand why the order would be so different than BOSS which has served me reasonably well for years now.

I downloaded and installed and ran LOOT...but the load order it generated was so insanely different than my previous stable BOSS Load Order that I simply can't trust the results. I mean, LOOT had WATER up near the top of the list, had my follower mods spread out in all sort of places. I can't reconcile the fact that its ordering would be so dramatically different than BOSS.

same "problem"?, it change that entire order and i dont know if that its good or bad :(