Unlimited Bookshelves by da5id2701

Roogal

Discussion topic:
Unlimited Bookshelves by da5id2701/Nazenn
Wiki Link

Description:
The bookshelves in Skyrim are really not very useful. You can only put up to 18 books on the largest shelves, which will only fill the shelf if the books are all the largest size. I always hated how it looks when you fill a shelf with small books, and there are giant gaps between
them.

So, I made my own bookshelf script, which places books based on their width rather than fixed positions. You can place as many books as will fit on the shelf. The result is identical if you use the largestbooks, 18 to a shelf, but you can put around 90 notes or bounty letters on a single shelf (if you ever get that many). You can now also place any other item on the shelf, not just books!

-The time it takes to update the items on the shelf is similar to the vanilla version, maybe alittle faster. However, the more books you place, the longer it will take.-You can always put up to 100 items in at a time, and when it goes to place them it will simply give back anything that didn't fit.

Know issues:
-Ifyou load a save made before installing the mod that is inside a house, the bookshelves in that house will not work until you go outside and back in.

-Some items register a width 0 and so will pile up. All enchanted apparel is this way. Some mod added books are this way (let me know which mods do this). I am gradually working on fixing these items,so be patient. There are over 1500 and they all have to be fixed individually.

-There is no check for the size of items, so if you add items that are too big they will clip through the edges, and if they fall out entirely they will disappear the next time the shelf updates.

-The orientation for items is picked automatically. If something had an orientation that you don't like, let me know and I may be able to change it.

-Soul Gems and any other item with individual data (such as charge on enchanted weapons) will lose that data. The item visible on the shelf will be a copy without the data (no soul filled, fully
charged), though the item in the container will still have it. So, for now just take soul gems out by opening the container, not grabbing the item on the shelf.

Roogal - Makes bookcases better but not really essential you got a big library of stuff to display :P . Interested to hear your opinions.

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately it has 31 ITM edits and 59 Deleted References.  I have tried it and I dont experiene any crashes but this is definatly not encourging for intergration in step.  Also the author was banned from nexus, probably another one to suffer from the over zealous admins and so there has not been any updates since may.

I still think the idea was excellent and hopefully someone else can carry it on or the author has continued his work elsewhere.

• 3 years later...

This mod has recently been updated, by a new author (Nazenn), in October 2015.

From the description page:

Now under New Management!
(I wonder how many people nearly fainted when this update came up in their mod manager!)

After an email discussion with the original author, da5id2701, I've taken over the core hosting and maintenance of this mod on the nexus.
The Original Description of this mod can now be found in the readme tab. The changelog has appropriately been moved to the changes tab though if you are looking for it. 

How would you like to be able to use the WHOLE shelf to fill with books until they are packed so tight there's literally no space left?
Or use your bookshelves to display other items, whether alchemy ingredients so they are in easy reach, or rare items so you can show off?

With the updated bookshelf script written by da5id2701 you can now up to 128 books or other objects can be stored on any bookshelves using the vanilla bookshelf activator, allowing for much more storage of books in library rooms or various other displays. There is now enough room in all of the vanilla houses to store one copy of every book from the vanilla game and even more. Don't worry about what may or may not fit, just shove everything in and anything that doesn't fit will be automatically returned to you.

Objects bounds have been added to a lot of vanilla objects to help them sit on the bookshelves properly, and there is also support for other modded items as long as they also include object bounds. Mods that don't have their bounds properly will clip horribly with other objects or even fly out of the shelf occasionally. The time it takes to place the items generally is at the same pace as vanilla however the more items you place at once the longer it will take to place and render them all.

What's new in 2.0?

- All ITMs and UDRs have been removed so that the mod is now clean. The mod is now also marked as an esm, while still having the esp extension, so that you can load it directly after the final unofficial patch in your load order (for most people this should be the Unofficial Dragonborn Patch). The the mod should be placed here so that its edits to various items to include object bounds don't interfere with any other mod based edits to those items you may have. I'll be submitting this info to LOOT as soon as I can figure out github unless someone beats me too it. 

- The Unofficial Skyrim Patch is now a required master file. This is because the USKP fixes a lot of errors with the various items this mod has to edit in order to include object bounds (which stop the objects from clipping with each other) and also includes object bounds for a lot of other objects as well. I will not be maintaining a version without the USKP as a master as that actually limits the functionality of the new esp, and also is supporting unstable games for which troubleshooting will be limited. If you wish to have a non USKP version, edit it in tes5edit to remove the few references to USKP I included and be prepared for items clipping with each other a lot.

- Still looking for someone knowledgeable with scripting to help take a look at the source scripts (included in the download of the latest version) and detect any script based issues and help to fix any that may be there. Any script fixes can either be submitted to me to be uploaded here (with the author of the fixes being given editing permissions so they can maintain them), or posted to a new page, just let me know if you're going to do this.

- I'll be looking at fixing some of the vanilla object bounds that this mod still doesn't fix, and either including them in the main file (most likely), having them as an optional file or submitting them for review for inclusion in the USKP so that some of the objects that are still a little buggy with this mod (like enchanted armors not always displaying properly) will start working again. As far as mod added items go, like scrolls or books clipping, please contact those authors directly about properly including object bounds on their modded items.

The mod is also now considered open source. While you still must notify me either here in the comments or via a private message and you must credit the original author, feel free to publish updates or edits to this mod in any way you wish. I will also be actively maintaining this page now so if people would prefer, I'm more then happy to publish any community made files on this page as well with the appropriate credits, just let me know!

I have personally been wondering over the last couple days whether to use this mod, or the Updated Bookshelves SKSE Script. This seems to offer more functionality, and I have read about some potential issues with the Updated Bookshelves SKSE Script in the Nexus posts.

Does anyone currently use the updated version of this mod? Any issues, or does it work as advertised?

Basically, I am hoping to determine which is the better mod out of these two. However, I really only want to put books on my bookshelves (without bugs), so whatever will do that function with the least amount of issues would be a win for me, personally.

If there is a general consensus on which mod is more stable, I would recommend that mod as an addition to STEP. A common bug fix such as either of these provides seems like it would be a natural fit for STEP.

Edit: Also, just to mention - the description mentions the USKP as a master, but there are two main files for download. One is a USKP version, the other is a USLEEP version. Obviously, for STEP purposes, it would be the USLEEP version.

Edited by Nebulous112

I think about all I can say is that I have used the older version Unlimited Bookshelves in the past and never noticed any issues with it, but I never really used it extensively. I remember loading up all the bookshelves in the home in Solitude, but I don't remember taking it beyond this.

It's Nazenn that is heading this mod up now. From the description he's made it a master-plugin (ESP with a master flag) to maximize the compatibility. It's meant to load right after the UP for compatibility reasons. Also this:

Compatibility
This mod will be compatible with any mod that doesn't change the bookshelf container script. Any mod based bookshelves should work automatically as long as they are set up the same as in vanilla.
If you have mod added items that are stacking up and not displaying properly, please politely request to the author of that mod that they include correct object bounds for their new items, books, weapons and armors. This also helps them interact properly with items when drop into the world so it is not just a function purely for this mod.

Nazenn knows what he's doing, imo.

Hello everyone!

Just to add onto what TechAngel said:

The mod is indeed now and esm and should load directly after your last USKP/USLEEP. The edits to weapons, armor etc are required so that they can display correctly on shelves, but it should no longer be an incompatibility problem if you place it correctly because all your other mods will simply overwrite it. The object bounds will be removed by anything being overwritten, which is a shame but better broken displays then broken stats, but anything that isn't edited by the rest of the object bounds will have it set normally.

I've recently been in contact with someone who is, once they get done with Fallout 4 script they are making, going to come in and update the scripts to add better functionality and systems.

I'm also looking into making a Tes5Edit script, or automation tool settings, that people can use to run on your load order to carry over the object bound settings to a new esp along with the rest of your edits, just waiting on mator to fix a couple of bugs and publish my other tes5edit script first. This would insure maximum compatibility with everything if people wanted it. I'm also in the process of adding in the rest of the object bound data to enchanted items etc so they will all display properly as well.

The few bugs that have been reported with Unlimited Bookshelves, and investigations into them, are as follows, however please note that NONE of these have been confirmed as issues in the mod itself. I can't find a cause in the esp or the (uncommented) scripts, and no one who has ever reported these issues has ever come forward with more information, such as a load order or a save file. As such all of these bugs are bugs that manifest themselves inside of the bookshelf system, but very likely aren't actually caused by it:

- Ingots don't stack. I have no idea whats going on with this one. As far as I can tell, it may be happening to people who have the actual ingot model of object bounds being edited by something and don't realize it.

- Scrolls clip. Known issue, however again, to do with a lack of object bounds. Have had some reports of it happening even with vanilla scrolls, never been able to get it to happen myself, can't find a reason why that would be the case

- Causes crashing on entering the cell. This is a big one. I've never found any evidence that this mod can cause crashes in any way, and trust me I looked hard before publishing the 2.0 update. As far as I can tell, people reporting this were being cause out by the previous UDRs which I have since removed so it shouldn't be a problem.

The only real major bug with the mod, as mentioned in the description, is right now objects with two states, such as soul gems (empty or filled) and armors (normal or enchanted) will not display properly in their second state, they display as empty/non enchanted etc, which means you have to use the actual menu to pick it up rather then directly off the shelf. This can be a cheat-y way to reset armors and soul gems if you want, but I'm hoping that the person who volunteered to take over scripting can find a solution for it. It should only affect soul gems as it is right now anyway, as until I publish the next update, enchanted armors won't have object bounds and therefore can't display properly anyway.

There's a few minor once, as mentioned in the description, such as some odd object rotation and clipping, but those can't be avoided anyway due to how skyrim implemented the original markers. I will talk to the new scripter about this, but its a minor thing you won't come across very often.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns :)

I also just updated the description, thanks for that reminder Nebulous

Edited by Nazenn
  • +1 2

- Causes crashing on entering the cell. This is a big one. I've never found any evidence that this mod can cause crashes in any way, and trust me I looked hard before publishing the 2.0 update. As far as I can tell, people reporting this were being cause out by the previous UDRs which I have since removed so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've had some dealing with this type of thing. Whenever I took over the Jaggarsfeld mod there was an issue with the scroll storage causing CTDs. Turns out, the authors themselves or whatever resource they used stacked individual scrolls into this shelf and put a collision plane in front of it so that it "looked" like a custom storage piece. The problem was, they didn't have the "don't havok settle" checked for each one of the those 20+ scrolls so as soon as you got close to it in the game the scrolls would bug out and CTD. They released a CTD fix patch for this, but not even it worked 100% of the time because that's not the proper way of creating custom storage containers. I couldn't work the issues completely out, so I opted to switch it out with a proper model while changing over to the General Stores scripts.

With your mod, this could be an issue or the items stored on the shelf having some havok issues. I know this from experience that stacking and storing some multitude of items can cause CTDs, when not done properly.

Thank you for the info. That indeed could be the cause, if so the new script that I have been talking about with someone should fix that issue because they will be changing the way the physics are applied to the objects on the shelf. Its certainly not a major issue though, its been reported by.... three people I know of and like I said, I never had a save file to play with to prove this was a problem.

• +1 1