Recommended upgrades for Skyirm with STEP

nico53laval

Question

I've got an OCed Gigabyte Gtx 670 (1360 MHz core and 6492 for the mem max) and a Phenom II *4 965 BE @3800 MHz with 4 gigs of RAM. I'm sometimes dropping under 60 FPS with STEP, ultra settings (high shadows) + 2* SSAA performance ambient occlusion. What component do you think is to blame and what should I do to resolve this (small) issue? Also, I wanted to buy an SSD to fix the painfully long loading times, can I just copy over Skyrim from my HDD to the SSD for it to work with skse?

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for that read sb4n. So from what I've read I've learned:

1. Ivy Bridge runs a little hotter than Sandy Bridge when overclocked, so will not achieve same Ghz level but performance will be the same-ish with less power draw.

2. Ivy Bridge has a few extra features such as built in graphics (great for those times when your video card goes out to test), more PCI-E 3.0 lanes, etc.

So I think Ivy Bridge is the right way to go instead of buying a generation back, even if I don't quite get the same Ghz numbers as Sandy Bridge. That sound about right?

No real flaw in that logic. Especially since you have two video cards, you have far more choices in MB's to support the full PCI-e x16 bandwidth on more than one lane.

The general recommendation is that if you already have an overclockable sandy bridge there is absolutely no reason to buy an ivy bridge any pre sandy bridge chips could receive substantial benefit from an upgrade.

Whish is awesome as I am a sandy guy :D

And it does handle Skyrim quite nicely ...

I thought you had an i7 core? Or did you upgrade?