TES5Edit Merged Patch

Ganda

Question

I used to make one way before I knew anything about modding but between breaks from skyrim I stopped using it as no one talked about it. Neither STEP nor SR tells you to make one, but Dienes does advise you to have one (before running Lootification, which I totally intend to try out :p).

As I can't find any information about it, can you, oh great masters of skyrim, explain why it exists/when should we get one?

Many thanks!

11 answers to this question

The merged patch includes some object types not included in the bashed patch. If you use a merged patch make sure to remove the leveled list objects since the bashed patch does a much better job with these objects, as EssArrBee mentioned. I use the merged patch as the starting point for an additional patch I also use; I then manually add additional records..

I can't believe the merged patch solves conflicts perfectly so between that and doing by hand the hard way it should only save a small amount of time (and you learn more doing it manually :p).

So, when to use Merged Patch? Only worth it as a starting point or also as a standalone?

Edited by Gandaganza

TES5Edit's merged patch is not very useful for Skyrim. It is good for beginners however who don't know a lick about conflict resolution. It makes errors many times, however, so it is sort of a catch 22.

I beg to differ, the merged patch is very useful for quickly patching BYOD with appearance/behavior changing mods as well the container and faction groups. I also use it to check that the bashed patch didn't mess up with regards to certain leveled lists when using weapon mods.

There is a new TES5Edit Merge Script addon for download at nexus. There is a post on it in the STEP forums as well. Its apparently much better than the default merge option, and also seems safe as of the latest version. Im going to experiment with it shortly. There is also a large list of successfully merged mods in a link on the nexus forums from the mod page.

Edited by MadWizard25

IMO I would check conflicts before and after the merged patch. This way you can check if your merged patch forwards the correct records, and then base the conflict resolution patch off of the merged patch and remaining mods.

This is what im currently planning on doing at least. Honestly though im only merging because im above the plugin 255 limit and because tes5edit doesnt seem to be able to load more than 255 plugins either, so conflict resolution and overview become impossible. If i was below 255 i would skip merging unless its for armor and weapon mods.