Save game script cleaner by Hadoram

rootsrat

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363

As per the name. There are only positive comments, saying this tool works. This include a comment from MannyGT.

From the mod's page:

This program is created using RosAsm, so source is included in file. Be free edit it as you wish.
How to use it?

For a simple script cleaning:

1. Click open, choose save game file.
2. Click FixInstances
3. In left list, scripts that starts at "#->" select one and click a Delete script.
When you have removed them, click Save button -> overwrite.. -> yes (only if u have backup)
Load a save in game, and save it again. Now it should be fully cleaned.

Always one of those things where you have to be wary. If it works then Hell yeah, if not then it's like 'another on the pile'.

I copied my saves and tried it out so let's see if there's any problems.

Edited by Crimson13

As Crimson13 says, it's something to be wary about. But preliminary tests seem pretty promising to me -- it can remove orphaned scripts extremely well, even the kind that previously could never have been repaired, infinite loops, etcetera. By default, when you click "FixScript Instances" it appears to remove all scripts that are not attached to a reference, which are the scripts that usually are causing problems and only arise from uninstalled mods or orphaned magic effects.

This tool appears to be much more capable of targeting specific scripts, versus previous tools that only tried to remove the entire script data block from the save. Another handy feature is that it allows you to change the value of variables in different script instances, which can be used to fix erroneous scripts, infinite loops, or even just to customize variables of a mod to something that you'd like better.

I tried this on several saves with orphaned scripts and it appeared to clean them all out flawlessly.

However, I wouldn't use this quite yet without keeping a backup and being willing to revert if necessary, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this tool -- I think it's really promising, and even if it turns out to be flawed, its nonetheless a valuable contribution to the community that can probably be fixed or improved if needed.

Edited by egocarib
  • +1 1

eh.. Also will reflect Crimson13 here. It's good that some notable people are testing it and trying to figure out "how" it works. Unfortunately whether is works or not I expect this to be praised (already see ppl calling it the "holy grail") and possible shoot up to FOTM in the next 2 days or so. For my own part I won't be touching this with a 10 foot pole until the frenzy dies out and the results are in from the pro's.

Well there was a stupid guide about the old "save cleaner" (the one that grilled tons of saves) and it still got to hot files in one day, despite it being full of the worse INI tweaks/game-breaking advices, so yeah... Probably smarter to wait for the potential placebo effect to wear out.

I tried it on a save yesterday. It's easy to use but also easy to make a mistake so backup your saves, really.

I couldn't play much but I didn't encounter any problem. I checked my papyrus logs and it did actually removed errors from mod's scripts I uninstalled.

Beside that I wouldn't recommend it until we have more time with it. I don't think it's a placebo effect since it is actually doing something but I'll wait for a lot more people to use it before calling it the "Holy Grail".

This has Arthmoor's seal fo approval. His comment:

"That's why Hadoram's tool is such a great thing because it finally allows the selective removal of problem scripts and change forms. It's the only save tool that exists that can be considered safe to use."

Very impressed with this utility!

If I had any criticism it would be taht when you select fix script instances button, you don't really know what got "fixed" . As far as I can tell, there's no log or text file showing what is done.

Although I don't think it is very likely to cause a problem, I still wouldn't personally suggest using it if your game is already stable. I actually think that's one of the dangers of this tool -- people are probably going to start using it all the time on all their saves, when its not needed, which is really only introducing a chance to break something or cause strange behavior. I still think it's an incredible, much needed tool to keep within reach, but mainly for when your performance is suffering or your log is spammed, or other bad things are happening ::):

I've basically 100% eliminated ILS/CTDs/Freezes with ENBoost and the Skyrim Memory Patch 3.0. Is it worth messing with this? I'm sure I have rouge scripts somewhere in my saves but if I'm stable, there's no reason to run this, right? 

Well if your game is stable and you don't experience strange side effects, no you shouldn't.

If it works don't break it  :;):

I'm not saying that this utility will break your save but since we don't know how the cleaned save behave in the long term, there is no need to use the tool unless of course you're like me and like to test every new shiny thingy that appears on the Nexus or if you have an already very broken save you'll want to save (bad pun intended).

You would only use this utility if:

A. Upgraded/updated script related mods in an active game and they didn't update cleanly, leaving orphaned scripts

B. Discovered a gawdawful mod that is wreaking havoc and you want to purge it entirely from your game

C. Have an old game where resetting havoc related formID's might substantially save you load times and cut back file size.

• 1 month later...

I've only had to use its "script instance removal" tool once when I removed a scripted mod and that wasn't in my current game.

It works as advertised. To be honest, if you use sound modding practices, ie. never uninstall a mod (especially that has scripts) in an active game then you won't ever need such a utility. But, I do peek into save files on occasion using this tool just to check what scripts are active, etc.

Many of the better script-centricmods (for example, anything by Isoku for instance) uninstall very cleanly if you follow the instruction which usually involve using the MCM controls. Convenient Horses has specific uninstall steps involving console command that if not followed can cause issues. But again, I never uninstall a mod in a game I wish to run for the long haul, this means I am highly selective and very snobbish when  it comes to mods I will use. My character is just almost ready to hit level 50, and while I have added some mods during the play-through, I have uninstalled none.