Dungeon Quest Awareness (by Darkwolfn1)

Farlo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, sounds good. I'd definitely be willing to work together on it. I'd also be perfectly happy if you just want to go ahead and run with it. Adding the conditions seems like it should be fairly straightforward, though I haven't actually had a chance to look at these quests in the CK, so I'm not entirely certain that it's as simple as it sounds (which is often the case with the CK).

With all the info presented thus far I'm going to vote for removal from STEP as in the vast majority of cases it likely won't help the player avoid the problem anyway and its immersion breaking. That said, would definitely support the fix mod proposed.

I wonder...

I'm not very familiar with the quest system but I know that you can reserve a location so that no other quests can send you to the same place...

So I was wondering if it would be possible to fix some of these issues (maybe not retroactively) by reserving the locations in a hidden quest. Then have a condition that they are released when the player starts the real quest that needs the location. However I don't know if that would actually work, it might fail or even crash if it doesn't release it before the real quest tries to reserve it and it wouldn't help afterwords with radiant quests sending you to a non-respawning location.

Bah, scratch that, it might be to problematic. I was hoping to come up with a way of fixing some of these without touching the radiant quests or locations to prevent any unforeseen consequences. Instead it might cause even more problems, carry on, don't mind my ramblings.

Hope this helps, I set Dustman's Cairn to respawn and didn't notice any real problems. Small spoilers in the spoiler section, you probably don't want to peek in there if you have not played the Companion's quest line yet.

-The Silver Hand in there probably have to be stopped from respawning after the quest is finished, either by setting them to not respawn or disabling them with an enable parent after the quest.

-The switch that traps you in the room before the scene with Farkas may need to be replaced with a static version, I have to check it still. Switch is fine, I should have known cause that would have been a problem in the vanilla game if they didn't disable it :P.

-Setting it to respawn won't fix the problem of radiant quests sending you there before Proving Honor because the first room has a blockage until Proving Honor.

I'll try removing the LocTypeDungeon keyword but testing radiant quests' dungeon picking is near impossible :P

at best I can see if it breaks Proving Honor. (it shouldn't)

With all the info presented thus far I'm going to vote for removal from STEP as in the vast majority of cases it likely won't help the player avoid the problem anyway and its immersion breaking. That said' date=' would definitely support the fix mod proposed.[/quote']

Mention it in the voting behind the scenes. I've done the same with another mod.

• 8 months later...

Dungeon Quest Awareness by Darkwolfn1

It's amazing how after all this time I still run across mods that I have never used or heard of that manage to catch my interest. This mod with over 1700 endorsements, is one such mod. I have never used it, so I am hoping to hear if others have and what they think of it.

Here's what it does:

Skyrim's best feature is exploration. Unfortunately, exploring some dungeons before you get the related quest can potentially break that quest line; which can be discouraging for a would be adventurer.

So that you can more freely explore, this mod will change the map markers and area location of dungeons that contain major quest. That way, you will see at a glance whether you can dive into a new location you have just discovered, or whether you might want to wait until receiving the related quest first.

This is accomplished by updating the location marker for these areas with (Quest - 'Quest chain location'). This will be visible on the map, and when you first discover or enter an area. The 'Quest chain location' will be either the town where you can start the quest, or the faction that quest belongs to (ex: Thieves guild, College of Winterhold, ect). A few locations are also marked with 'Locked' as you can not complete the dungeon until you have the specific quest.

This mod only includes the information for major quest that rely on one specific dungeon location. Radiant quest, bounties, misc quest, are not marked. Also, in the spirit of having as few spoilers as possible, major quest that can be found locally at a dungeon entrance are also not marked, so you can discover them naturally.

Personally, I have run into the Bard Quest Item premature discovery that reportedly can break the Bard's College Quests, I'm not sure if this exactly what the mod author is helping alleviate with his mod, but it sounds like it.

The only downside to this mod based on comments is that it has not been updated for the newer content DLC's.