Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Victor may not actually be in Novac either - he wasn't when I got there.

When I did a new Goodsprings start with Alternate Start, I saw Victor for a fraction of a second starting to move along the road past the Saloon as I appeared outside Doc's house then he was hidden by Alternate Start and faded from view. I just happened to be looking at the correct spot to see him.

"I still seem to be getting stutter despite having NVSR, fairly consistently, but I can deal as I am used to it."

I fixed that myself by not using ENB or ENBoost at all.  It was mainly macrostutter for me, when I would turn quickly.  Also, the FPS was just lower in general.  I did not try to newest few versions though, so I don't know if anything was improved since I last tried it.

"I guess I'm one of the only people that doesn't get that error. I know what the problem is, but don't know how to fix it. I have an idea how, but it would take a few more steps in FNVEdit. I'll have to gage how interested people are about it."

Hell yeah!  I'm interested in that.  I'd love to be able to use the crossbows without the issue.  I haven't touched those crossbow mods at all only because of hearing so many people report about the FPS drop issue, but I've always been saddened over not having those mods installed.  They sound badass...

My idea is to take the persistent actor reference in Goodsprings and move it to an unused cell. I just don't know if that works, but I can't see why it wouldn't. Plenty of mods do that. Deleting the actor reference in the Worldspace record only messes up the exploding bolts. 

Just wanted to add my two caps to fixing the crossbows, if possible. They are such a natural fit to the technology mix in the Mojave, that I'm surprised they were not included in the base game.

It just seems inconsistent that you are more likely to come across high tech energy weapons in the hands of raiders than any other faction.

Bows, crossbows and spears would be much more likely to be the dominant weapons in those factions.

Energy weapons would require much more expertise to operate and maintain than raiders or small time gangs would likely possess.

The only other thing I'd like to see added to the guide would be some new armors, but I know we only have limited slots for additional gear.

I have a small question in regards to mod cleaning. I've already cleaned the DLCs but I'm unsure whether it is safe to clean all the mentioned mods on your list (except those that must not be cleaned, of course). Should I leave them be, in case it messes something up? How reliable is loot if it comes down to which mods should be cleaned?

I have something that I want to gage people's opinions and interest on.

For a while I've been thinking of taking all the info Kelmych and I have gathered on installing and maintaining Fallout games and mods and putting it in a separate guide. It would break down apps, mod managers, and complex mods with instructions, tips, and FAQ where necessary. This would also be something that started with a main page and linked to a few (probably half dozen at most) pages split into categories.

I'd probably break it down something like this for a utility:

1. Get program here(link).
  2. Install this way(instructions).
  3. (optional) Additional installation info(adding executable in MO, FO3 or FNV specific info)
  4. Important shortcuts, tips, and tricks
  5. FAQ

I'd probably put most utilities on one page, complex mods on one page, have an MO page for just awesome stuff that I know that helps everyone save time and energy. It would be something cool to link to around the internet since I don't always like pointing people to a guide when they just need to install LOOT correctly.

I'd like to here some ideas.

Also, STEP testing is getting done at good pace. I should be back to doing FNV and TTW stuff soon.

It might help with some newcomer questions, or help people who already have had everything installed for a while but forgets some of the specifics about certain things sometimes.  By having the information in an ordered way of locating it within a guide, then people are more likely to be able to get their answer there rather than ask questions on the forum - that's a good thing.

Personally, I'd like to see a section in the guide at the end that's like "STEP 3" from the STEP guide (which is kind of like your #4 & #5 ideas, but instead of being for specific utilities, for the whole guide installation in general).  And more added to the MCM Settings list.

As far as information about utilities, more info about ENBoost - maybe how it compares the ENBoost in Skyrim or something (because for me, as an example, it seems to run great in Skyrim, but last time I was intensely trying to get it to work well in FNV, it just wouldn't run well - so some more info about what you know about it might be useful maybe).

Although I'm fairly familiar with FNVEdit, I guess some more basic info or tips about that might be useful for a lot people.

I dunno - just some ideas.

I think that is an excellent idea. A couple of points that converge, and at the moment are at odds, might be the cleaning of DLCs. Since STEP is now an agnostic guide, ie. it covers all games, the xEdit guidelines could be combined and re-worded to be used across the board by all game guides, not just FO3/FNV. I'm pretty sure when I read through them for the first time links to steps for cleaning were different depending on where you linked from. Combining those sort of areas would mean only updating one page instead of 4 or 5.

If I can help out in any way I would be more than willing to do so.

• +1 1

It might help with some newcomer questions, or help people who already have had everything installed for a while but forgets some of the specifics about certain things sometimes.  By having the information in an ordered way of locating it within a guide, then people are more likely to be able to get their answer there rather than ask questions on the forum - that's a good thing.

Personally, I'd like to see a section in the guide at the end that's like "STEP 3" from the STEP guide (which is kind of like your #4 & #5 ideas, but instead of being for specific utilities, for the whole guide installation in general).  And more added to the MCM Settings list.

I should add more. I didn't realize the MCM section was so lacking. I know that some PPA stuff could be added, but that isn't MCM. I'd like to probably put my own HUD setup on there for people to get a good idea of how to mess with it to suit their needs. With DarnUI getting a proper update from RoyBatty, I might wait to see what all happens with that version first.

I guess a FAQ is in order for F&L, plus some of my favorite shortcuts that most people probably have no clue about. STEP has the benefit of being written by about 20 people over the last few years.

As far as information about utilities, more info about ENBoost - maybe how it compares the ENBoost in Skyrim or something (because for me, as an example, it seems to run great in Skyrim, but last time I was intensely trying to get it to work well in FNV, it just wouldn't run well - so some more info about what you know about it might be useful maybe).

I might just put that on a separate page. I like that part of the guide less every time I see it.

Although I'm fairly familiar with FNVEdit, I guess some more basic info or tips about that might be useful for a lot people.

You have no clue how far that rabbit hole goes.

I dunno - just some ideas.

I think that is an excellent idea. A couple of points that converge, and at the moment are at odds, might be the cleaning of DLCs. Since STEP is now an agnostic guide, ie. it covers all games, the xEdit guidelines could be combined and re-worded to be used across the board by all game guides, not just FO3/FNV. I'm pretty sure when I read through them for the first time links to steps for cleaning were different depending on where you linked from. Combining those sort of areas would mean only updating one page instead of 4 or 5.

If I can help out in any way I would be more than willing to do so.

I'd love to have a static xEdit cleaning template I could use across the entire site. It would probably help out a lot. I think we do have something, but I really need to upgrade it. I could probably make a cool template for the merging instructions too. My basic merging instructions are pretty universal now. Just list the plugins, and what mods to untick afterwards. Everything else is the same.

My other idea a while back that I never released was a wiki version of the xEdit manual. I have some text file already setup for it, but I never finished it enough to actually post it. I really need to do that to, it would benefit all modders.

2.2.9.1 is actually progressing nicely, plus it's dev is about to pick up a bit more I believe, so I'll have a better idea of what kind of help I need when we get closer to that release.

Alright, I think I know what my timeline looks like right now.

1. STEP 2.2.9.1
  2. Fallout Modding Tutorial/FAQ/Something something
  3. xEdit Manual

I'll do some F&L stuff along side the last two probably. I probably gotta write a bunch of DynDOLOD stuff for the wiki too. It never ends... :facepalm:

I've ran into a cosmetic issue and failed at fixing it myself, hopefully you guys can help me out.

the custom eyes are broken during character creation, only the vanilla ones work. they look doubled, as if the char has two iris' in each eye like an alien. I found this is a known problem when using mods like FCO and redesigned together.

after downloading this patch https://www.mediafire.com/download/q5w66f55gghxq20/FCO_EYE_FIX_-_23.9.2014_.rar, the problem seemed to have disappeared. but then I encountered an NPC in New Vegas, who always stared to his right side. his iris resided constantly in the right eye corner, no matter what he was doing. other NPCs seemed fine, but there is a high chance I'll encounter more of this during my playthrough, right?

does anyone know where the conflict might be?

btw. a new version of the merge plugin was released (3.0 I believe) and it's supposedly more advanced than the previous one. had no problems with it so far.