Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Okay, I'm about ready to give up on adding Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision, Flashlight NVSE, and Willow to the guide. I just can't get them working together. I don't know if it's MO or a conflict, but I've exhausted every option there is for figuring it out.

I can get them all to work together if I only install the UI section with all three mods, but if I try do it with the whole guide, then it doesn't work. There is something that I'm not seeing while going through the process. FNVEdit shows nothing that could really conflict between the mods, but for some reason they just won't work together. My initial thought was that there is something in Willow that will not let MO load more than 92 plugins or something around there. It seems that ARTN is fine without Willow for whatever reason and vice versa. MO shows no errors at all either. I've pretty much tried to got through the whole guide three times adding in those mods in different place to get to work, but I just can't. (going through your own guide is soooooo boring too, don't recommend, 0/5 stars, only go through other's guides)

Now, I have to make a choice between which mods I want to use. I know I want companions in the guide, but I also want all the Advanced Recon Series mods and Flashlight NVSE. I guess I'll have to go bug Tannin and the mod authors about this.

Oh, if you haven't already, don't upgrade Wrye Flash NV to 15.8 quite yet. I found a bug in the bashed patch that is messing up my Cell tags for some reason. 15.7 works fine, so just stay with it if you are using it. NVInteriors will probably get added in now, finally, since I can't troubleshoot this other problem. I was going to do another big update this weekend like I did last weekend, but Gamebryo had to get all stupid on me.

I have both Advanced Recon and Willow in my line up, no problems. I use Wrye/BAIN as you know, and I haven't tried to add Flashlight NVSE. How can I help (or can I)?

As far as post guide editing morale, watch that 5 minute Hornet F7C commercial from my general games post, I guarantee you'll like it or your money back ;-)

Yeah I am having a similar issue with Flashlight Nvse after adding Willow and a couple of armor mods. To me it seems like extreme script lag since at first the Flashlight itself became spotty, not wanting to turn on when the hotkey was hit and finally just stopped working altogether. I am also seeing the Pipboy-2500 taking forever to pop up. Kind of odd that you found it tied to Willow though. I was about to try pulling some mods to figure out where the issue lies.

As for the guide, are you going to recommend the "fixing" of Lt. Carrie Boyd as the comment section of NCR Trooper Overhaul - Distributed suggests to fix a crashing issue there? Or have you not gotten that far?

@redirishlord Thanks for the tip on enblocal.ini. It drastically reduced my stuttering problem. I have seen so much conflicting information on what/how to tweak memory that I don't even know what to follow anymore.

I have both Advanced Recon and Willow in my line up, no problems. I use Wrye/BAIN as you know, and I haven't tried to add Flashlight NVSE. How can I help (or can I)?As far as post guide editing morale, watch that 5 minute Hornet F7C commercial from my general games post, I guarantee you'll like it or your money back ;-)

Not sure how anyone can help until I get the mod authors or Tannin to comment.

Yeah I am having a similar issue with Flashlight Nvse after adding Willow and a couple of armor mods. To me it seems like extreme script lag since at first the Flashlight itself became spotty, not wanting to turn on when the hotkey was hit and finally just stopped working altogether. I am also seeing the Pipboy-2500 taking forever to pop up. Kind of odd that you found it tied to Willow though. I was about to try pulling some mods to figure out where the issue lies.As for the guide, are you going to recommend the "fixing" of Lt. Carrie Boyd as the comment section of NCR Trooper Overhaul - Distributed suggests to fix a crashing issue there? Or have you not gotten that far?@redirishlord Thanks for the tip on enblocal.ini. It drastically reduced my stuttering problem. I have seen so much conflicting information on what/how to tweak memory that I don't even know what to follow anymore.

When I try adding advanced recon nightvision and willow to current guide list, MO won't even launch. Flashlight nvse seems to to work with willow, but I wanted the thermal nightvision stuff with the stealth armors. Oh well, guess I'm going to have to make separate guides. ::p:I know about the issue with trooper overhaul and I'm trying some stuff out for it. Also, in both the original Adam and my plugin there is an incorrect mesh assignment for prototype riot gear. The fix is on the second or third post of the mods nexus thread, very simple to do in Fnvedit. Play around with the memory section of enblocal.ini for best results.

Livnthedream, on 04 Apr 2014 - 7:37 PM, said:

Yeah I am having a similar issue with Flashlight Nvse after adding Willow and a couple of armor mods. To me it seems like extreme script lag since at first the Flashlight itself became spotty, not wanting to turn on when the hotkey was hit and finally just stopped working altogether. I am also seeing the Pipboy-2500 taking forever to pop up. Kind of odd that you found it tied to Willow though. I was about to try pulling some mods to figure out where the issue lies.

As for the guide, are you going to recommend the "fixing" of Lt. Carrie Boyd as the comment section of NCR Trooper Overhaul - Distributed suggests to fix a crashing issue there? Or have you not gotten that far?

@redirishlord Thanks for the tip on enblocal.ini. It drastically reduced my stuttering problem. I have seen so much conflicting information on what/how to tweak memory that I don't even know what to follow anymore.

I got that and more from the old Realvision ENB forum community, check out Tony971's stability guide on Nexus. Obviously do your research (twice) before tweaking skyrim.ini & skyrimprefs.ini or the fallout NV config files for that matter.

When I try adding advanced recon nightvision and willow to current guide list, MO won't even launch. Flashlight nvse seems to to work with willow, but I wanted the thermal nightvision stuff with the stealth armors. Oh well, guess I'm going to have to make separate guides. ::P:I know about the issue with trooper overhaul and I'm trying some stuff out for it. Also, in both the original Adam and my plugin there is an incorrect mesh assignment for prototype riot gear. The fix is on the second or third post of the mods nexus thread, very simple to do in Fnvedit.Play around with the memory section of enblocal.ini for best results.

Gotcha. Yeah I don't like MO all that much. I should probably give it another go since I have learned quite a bit since I last tried it, but I have yet to have any issues with NMM. I have been using it and only it since I started modding a little over a year ago, and outside of the issues with the Nexus servers themselves it has never given me the crash/bad install/no uninstall etc that so many others complain about. Perhaps if I switched off between characters, or did more mod testing I would have more uses for MO but that is not how I like to play. I much prefer the "perfect install" and play till its done route.

I did a previous play through with Gophers night vision, and honestly it feels too cheaty to me. I even turn off the vision modes offered by Project Nevada. Right now I tweaked Glowsticks (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37541/?) so they have a little larger radius and the marking ones are a little brighter, made the Pipboy light a little larger, and using Flashlight NVSE as my lighting solution. It adds a lot more atmosphere, even though sometimes it feels like I am playing Doom 3.

I got that and more from the old Realvision ENB forum community, check out Tony971's stability guide on Nexus. Obviously do your research (twice) before tweaking skyrim.ini & skyrimprefs.ini or the fallout NV config files for that matter.

Yeah I generally stay away from making any tweaks unless its something a mod says is required for it to work. Most of the reason why I started looking into enb's in the first place was I got tired of tweaking shadows to look decent in Skyrim.

I've gotten Willow to work with Flashlight NVSE, but I guess I will have to leave out ARTN for now. The answer to my problem will present itself somehow.

I'm also, going with pre order pack integration mod over the the pre order pack selector. I like not having the choice for gear that early, much easier to die when you don't start with armor and weapons at full condition. I also looked at ammo ingredients in loot, burning campfires, and Lonesome Road True Faction Allegiance. The first two are in and as soon as I figure out what the third one does it will probably be in too.

I might also throw in Hall of Equipment, at the beginning of the texture mods, so everything else will overwrite it. The mod is just tweaked vanilla stuff, might hurt people that don't have the VRAM to deal with that many 2k textures. I'm also liking Poco Bueno overwriting NMC, but there are few textures here and there that NMCs is better. There are some really bad seems around the roads and in the desert areas with Poco Bueno, but that is the terrible terrain meshes. I don't remember them with NMCs so I'll have to look into it.

Anyways, now that I decided to move on from that whole Willow/ARTN problem, I'm going to move onto quests. I'm around the 100 plugin mark, so I want to save as many as possible for quests. We've all played the game a bunch, so adding in new quests is one of the best things to add to the guide and it about time I start putting them in. I'll start with someguy's stuff, then tale of the burning sands, then move on to the big ones like Beyond Bolder Dome and Project Brazil.  I know already that Project Brazil is incompatible with Roleplayers Alternate Start, so I'll probably do a supplemental thing around that mod if I can.

I had no idea you were using NMM, at least start using Wrye's BAIN installer if you don't want to switch to MO (I use BAIN, have for quite some time.

I download mods to my HDD archive, pre-fix their file names with a guide type structure (A01-YUP for example, followed by A02-whatever, etc). I can then just select as many as I want to drag & drop into Wrye Flashes installer tab. The benefit to installing that way is Wrye shows conflicts between them in a separate window and I can manipulate install order on fly (maybe I want NMC textures to overwrite Bueno, but then change my mind it's easy to alter the order and Wrye works out the conflicts/overwrites no just between the two but all installed mod packages. Other than prefixing the filenames for convenience you also need to make sure the file structure is Wrye friendly (top level of the zipped file = the data directory so esp, meshes folder, textures folder go here) see the STEP guide for more details. Once you're setup its easy and powerful, god forbid I need to do a full re-install of FNV due to some catastrophe but at least I can re-install all my mods in with a drag & drop and a few minutes for Wrye to process (its waiting for Steam to download FNV that takes time).

tl;dr

STEP guide to Wrye, food for thought.

Willow updated to 1.01 28/03/2014, per the author;

"@EVERYONE - I've uploaded the latest version 1.01. I've attempted to fix all of the bugs that have been reported since the intial release of 1.0 two weeks ago ... This was a pretty big update ... Please let me know if things still aren't working after you've installed this. Enough has been changed that I've given it a new version number and the download is now packaged up with the sound, bsa and esm/esp in one complete package."

Not sure if it fixes the AR/Flashlight?Willow conflicts, perhaps llamaRCA has suggestions or insight?

This one's a quickie, but I may as well share it all the same: Since SRB is looking towards Courier's Stash Integration, I decided to tweak the ESP for it somewhat. The main changes were to use Yuki's shotgun damage fix instead of the one used here, and to copy over some WMX changes. None of the stats were tweaked (I figured they were changed for balance reasons), and I did not revert the items to their vanilla names (the new names seems to reflect the naming standards for New Vegas). Not tested yet, however.

This ESP would be used in place of the original mod (since it is just an ESP).

EDIT: Also, might not be a bad idea to include this rather excellent jazzisparis mod. This looks to be a really good companion control overhaul mod, and it supports a LOT of companions, Willow included. Not sure about Companion Sandbox mod compatibility, however. Like his other mods, this would have to be installed using the Unified HUD special instructions.

EDIT AGAIN: Looking at Lonseome Road True Faction Allegiance, it looks like this overhauls the way Lonesome Road determines your faction allegiance in a critical scene. Normally, LR just relies on faction points - whichever was highest, you were considered to be of that faction. Problem is, it would create situations where you would end up being considered part of a faction you murdered the leader of just because your reputation was higher than the rest. This adds conditions to the faction determination to factor in a) whether you completed important quests for the faction in question and b) didn't decimate them. I'd say this goes right into the slot, right now.

@ WilliamImm above: Thanks for the integration plugin and thanks for the JIP tip, I was already using the various JIP mods but didn't realize this one had update until you linked me there.

@ EssArrBee below: Thanks for the heads up on tags, updated them and re-bashed. re- JIP, I like the idea of the Companion Wheel, I also like the Realistic Weapon Overheating for both ballistic & energy weps, if I had to something up for script stability it would be Selective Fire.

Edited by redirishlord

So I added NVInteriors Project, Willow, Hall of Equipment, and Hires Ghouls. I'm going to add the new gamepaly mods next.

If I add JIP Companions, I have a feeling I might drop a few other gameplay mods because script load is getting quite high. My pip boy is already getting pretty slow and it is not a memory issue, it is a CPU bottleneck from Gamebryo. Maybe I'll limit myself to just one JIP mod, but I really like the other two mods. Overheating is good for energy and automatic weapons and Selective fire is good for auto weapons too. I kinda wish those two mods were combined into one. That would be amazing.

I'll check out that new esp when I get a chance. There are a couple things in that mod I didn't like though. I know that the Wathered 10mm pistol is replaced by WMX anyways, so that doesn't matter.

Trooper Overhaul-Dragbody needs Invent, Relev, and Stats tags. I sorted it with BUM in the Armor section. It also touches NPCs too. The WMX-EVE-AllDLCMerged.esp will need graphics and weapon mods at the very least or it gets overwritten by the WMX/EVE mods and incorrect models are used. I just sorted it behind the other WMX/EVE patches. I think I tagged some other WMX plugins, but I can't remember which ones. I know that they all pretty much need the same thing, Graphics, Weapon Mods, and Stats.

The main Spice of Life plugin only has two bash tags and if you click the mod in Wrye, the description box on the right has 5 or 6 tags listed. In addition I added Relev, but not sure if that was right and only Delev is needed. Probably best to go with nivea on the directions.

Thanks for the notes. I've already got FCO fully into the masterlist (with proper tags), and also added a check that sorts Selective Fire after the initial Project Nevada ESMs if it is installed. Gonna do more soon. Oh, and remove the note about YUP's new ESP not being sorted, it should be in the masterlist.

Here's a random question: "No Storage Device Detected", whatever is causing this prevents my changes to game settings/controls from saving (so WASD resets to direction arrows for example). Anyone know a fix for this?

*solved: fallout.ini & falloutprefs.ini set to read only causes the issue.

Edited by redirishlord

Thanks for the notes. I've already got FCO fully into the masterlist (with proper tags), and also added a check that sorts Selective Fire after the initial Project Nevada ESMs if it is installed. Gonna do more soon. Oh, and remove the note about YUP's new ESP not being sorted, it should be in the masterlist.

Some of the yup ESM tags might need to be removed since the npc stuff is now in the esp. Not sure which ones though I didn't review everything that was changed.