Google Chrome Can't Download from Skyrim Nexus using MO

Idonea

Question

Hi, I can't download from Skyrim Nexus using the Mod Organizer. I click "download with manager" on the page, the box that lists dependencies comes up, I confirm, it disappears, but nothing happens in MO. Here is what I've tried:

[*]Clicking the globe icon then navigating to the mod I want via my address bar

[*]Giving MO my login information in the Configure Settings and Workarounds window

[*]Repeatedly clicking the "Associate with 'Download with Manager' Links" button

I do not know what else to do; I'm not well-versed in this type of program at all... I would appreciate it if someone would help me.

Last night I decided to feed my modding addiction and rebuild my Skyrim setup.  This past weekend I also upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro. Welp, the very first mod I tried to install (an unofficial patch) failed to work with the "Download with Manager" link.  Yes, I use Chrome and since I did a fresh install of the OS over the weekend, I'm certain I'm also using the latest version of Chrome.

I tried the "local state" fix as proposed in this thread...no joy.

I was able to use IE (shudder) to get the links working, but I was wondering if there had been any progress on this situation.

Switch to Firefox. That's what I did.

I may use IE to get my mod downloading done and then wait for a more permanent solution.  I'm too heavily entrenched with Chrome to give up on it for a couple of evening's worth of download time from Nexus.

(That being said, one of Chrome's  best features - to me - is syncing of settings, plugins and bookmarks across machines. Does Firefox have that ability?)

It would appear you have a problem with the download with manager button in Firefox.

In Firefox settings, applications tab scroll to nxm in the left pane. In the right pane under action select "Always Ask" and OK out of settings and restart Firefox.

Go to a mod on the Nexus with a download with manager button and press it. Click continue with download. You should get a window that has a selection. There will be an entry to select an application, press the "Choose" button and navigate to where you have MO installed. Once there, select "ModOrganizer.exe" and OK out to finish.

This will allow you to associate MO with the green download button.

The next time you download a mod with the green download (nmm) button select Mod Organizer.

Do not select "Remember my choice for nxm links" as this will allow you to select Nexus Mod Manager if you use it for other games that MO does not support.

Problem is nothing comes up when I click the Nexus link.. I just get an Error message in the browser saying:

"Firefox doesnt know, how to open the address, because one of the following (nxm) is no registered protocol and in this contex not allowed.

Maybe you have to install different software, in order to be able to open this address"

orginal (in my language):

Firefox weiß nicht, wie diese Adresse geöffnet werden soll, da eines der folgenden (nxm) kein registriertes Protokoll oder in diesem Kontext nicht erlaubt ist.

Eventuell müssen Sie andere Software installieren, um diese Adresse aufrufen zu können.

I use Firefox... but Internet Explorer didnt work either... With Win 7 + all updates

Sounds like NMM is not installed so there is not an NXM protocol to associate to. If so go to the folder where MO is installed and look for an executable called "nxmhandler.exe" and double click it. A new window will open up. If there is no entry for Skyrim right click and select "ADD". A new dialog will open and there will be some options to select from. Click on the one for Skyrim on the left and on the right in "select binary" navigate to the MO directory and select "ModOrganizer.exe" and click OK until all the dialogs close. That should associate the NXM links for you.

I have solved this problem on my computer (Chrome 64bit and Win 8.1 64bit) this way:

0) Close Chrome (i do not think it is really necessary)
  1) start -> regedit -> enter

On the left tab: 
  2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE -> Classes 
  3) Right click on Classes, new key, name the key 'nxm'

On the right tab: 
  4) Double click on (Default) (I'm not sure, in italian it is called (Predefinito)) and paste 'URL:nexus mod', click OK
  5) Below, right click, new string, name the string 'URL Protocol'
On the left tab: 
  6) Right click on nxm, new key, name the key 'shell'

7) Right click on shell, new key, name the key 'open'

8) Right click on open, new key, name the key 'command'
On the right tab: 
  9) Double click on (Default) (I'm not sure, in italian it is called (Predefinito)) and paste '"(Path to mod organizer)\ModOrganizer.exe" "%1"', click OK

then close the regedit.

NOTE: when you copy-paste the values, copy only the letters inside the ' but not the ' itselfs.

Sorry for my awful english.

• +1 1

You do not need NMM for MO to download mods.

Proper debugging of downloading with manager issues should follow the troubleshooting instructions on the wiki:

Problem: When I click the Download with Manager button on the Nexus, nothing happens.

Possible solutions: There are many reasons why this may happen. Please try these possible fixes:

• Click the globe Globe_MO.png button.
  • Go to the Nexus tab in Settings and click the Associate with "Download with manager" links button.
  • Go to your ModOrganizer directory and run the nxmhandler application. If the program is pointing to Mod Organizer, click the Register Active button, click yes at the prompt, and close. If the program is not pointing to Mod Organizer, right-click in the window and select Add, select the game you are handling, browse to the appropriate ModOrganizer.exe application, click OK, click the Register Active button, click yes at the prompt, and close.
  • If you are using Google Chrome:
    1. Locate the "Local State" file (enter %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ in the Windows Explorer address bar).
    2. Open the file in a text editor such as Notepad while Google Chrome is closed.
    3. Search for "nxm" (Click Ctrl+F and enter nxm).
    4. Delete the line that says "nxm": false (if true, still delete the line).
    5. Save the file.
    6. Next time you click the Download with Manager button, Chrome should pop-up a dialog asking to launch the application registered for nxm links. Click Launch.
  • If you are using Firefox, open Firefox, and inside Options, go to the Applications tab. Search for nxm and point it toward the nxmhandler application located inside the ModOrganizer directory if the option exists.

I signed up for the forums just so I could express my undying gratitude for this thorough step by step guide to fixing the issue. Some/all of this needs to be added to the STEP MO guide, or the tutorial, or automated if possible.

I could not get through the MO tutorial without getting MO to download a mod from Nexus, but I did not want to skip it.

Thank you so very much W, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

• +1 1

Ahhh yes, of course.

That page can only be found through an obscure link at the top of the "Detailed instructions" page, and considering it seems to be a fairly common issue, during one of the first steps, I just think it could be a little easier to find.

For this reason, I added a line:

# Click the ''globe'' icon [[File:globe MO.png]] in the toolbar. This allows MO to download mods when the ''Download with Manager'' button is clicked on the Nexus.

#* If you are having problems with this step, take a look at the [[Guide:Mod_Organizer#Troubleshooting|MO Troubleshooting Guide]]

to the Detailed Instructions page.

Hopefully this will make the whole process 0.1% more user friendly, I know it would have saved me quite a bit of time and frustration.

Edited by Xaviien